Andrew's Putting Game

Sets of drills targeted at developing a full skill sets of shots and mastery of flight characteristics. Players taking part are encouraged to post their experiences and feedback.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Andrew's Putting Game

Postby andrew » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:22 pm

Place six marker discs in a circle around the basket, each at a distance from the pole approximately 5 meters (for novice), 7 meters (for intermediate) or 9 meters (for advanced). Starting at any marker and moving around the circle one marker at a time, putt three discs at time from each marker. Proceed with play as follows:

A) If all three putts are made, move that marker disc away from the basket approx.1 meter and proceed to the next marker.
B) If all three putts miss, move that marker disc toward the basket approx.1 meter and proceed to the next marker.
C) If one of the first two throws was made as well as the third throw, you get a bonus re-throw from the same location.
D) For all other results, leave that marker disc in the same location and proceed to the next marker.

When all three putts have been made from a marker 8 meters (for novice),10 meters (for intermediate) or 12 meters (for advanced), that marker is removed from the game. The goal is to see how many “rounds” it takes until all markers are removed (or simply play until allotted time is up).
Wizards/Pures/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebird/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Re: Andrew's Putting Game

Postby Disc Golf of Course » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:46 am

Cool training game! Putting practice can be repetitive, and this would make things more fun. How many rounds does it usually take you?
Ethan | DiscGolfofCourse.com - because it's disc golf, of course!
Disc Golf Tips, Tournament News, and Information
Disc Golf of Course
Noob

Favorite Disc: Aviar

Postby andrew » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:02 pm

I definitely designed the game as a distraction from the tedium of practicing putting. I play from 7ish to 10ish meters but tend to get stuck at the 10m mark myself and lose count of my actual rounds, especially when I get down to the last 2-3 discs and just keep chucking them until I give up. Actually, I've never completed the game, hahaha. In fact, I've taken to playing it with 5 discs instead of 6.

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Postby andrew » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:17 pm

I thought it might be of use to explicate how this game plays out when I do it. This morning, I used 5 discs starting at 7 meters and played five rounds, which took 15 minutes or so. After the first round, I had 1 disc still at 7 and the other 4 at 8 meters. After the second round, I had 3 at 8 meters and 2 at 9 meters. After 5 rounds, I had 2 at 10, 2 at 9 and 1 at 8. I never missed all three putts, but overall I wasn't putting that great during this session.
EDIT: It may be worth noting my practice basket has no outer chains so you have to be pretty much dead center and at the correct speed for it to catch.

The most challenging putt is making the 3rd one after I've made the first two- sometimes I get careless and other times I get worried about missing it. I enjoy that the game has a built-in "high pressure" shot.

I then played three rounds and putted really good overall. I made a high percentage of putts from 10-12 meters and stupidly clanked a couple downhills from 8 meters or closer. I had one crazy tree-to-tree hole that got away from me but other than that I don't think I had any 4s today.
EDIT: I have since remembered I had two other 4s, both 500-600ft technical holes so i don't worry about that too much. (long tees, long pins 10 and 11 peninsula park, iowa city IA)

I think the game is worthwhile to promote because it really has improved my putting overall. For me, just being able to see objective progress over time is useful, as opposed to simply putting for fifteen minutes without any consideration for how many shots you are making or what distances you are making/struggling with.

andrew
Tree Magnet

Return to Disc Golf Review Training Assignments