Uncle B's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Uncle B's Bag

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:47 pm

Discraft Rattler does sound like a good disc. I know that Mark Ellis is a big believer in them.

On my Predators I can throw them on a flat release and the Worn in Z plastic has a turn before it comes back and is very glidey. The more newish one is like a kinda worn in S-PD goes straight for a long while and sneaks a little more distance in while fading. It doesn't have crazy dumpy fade either like a normal overstable driver has. I would compare it as a slower PD. I've thrown both and I get about the same distance(PD is 10ishft more)so I go with the Predator. I hit about 380ft average with my Predators. Still astonished? :-P

I do sometimes think of going back to the PD,just because it varies in each plastic.It is a great disc and i still have mine. :D The only thing is where it varies in plastic it would probably kick my Fury out lol

My Fury is my go to Driver for uphills and when there is no wind a blowing. The extra glide works well for uphills and low line shots downhill. I can get them the same distance as my Predators and sometimes a little farther.

I've always liked Cyclones it's just all this new plastic always gets me tempted so I try something else out. Now that I know what speed drivers work for me(been throwing this high speed stuff for 4 years now,with still no consistency) I can now focus on what works for the speed range and distances to cover what I need.

Cyclones are a little different from other Fairways. They are as much a tweener disc as they are a Fairway. Feels like a mid but throws like a Fairway too. I've found once you get some wear in them they are just as good for you as your old trusty Rocs or Buzzz's. You can cover a lot of shots just with the Cyclone.I'm glad I've went back to them.

Those Judges maybe just what I need then. Some days I'm on fire with my Wizards and then somedays my putts just go straight in the dirt.(I have a Hyzer Drop Putt). That extra floatiness might be the ticket. Still not sure if I want to use them as a Driver though. My Wizards excel in driving,so I'm afraid to change that. I will however try them as an approach disc. Sounds like it's gonna be a good approach disc as well.
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:16 pm

It's been cold and nasty out so I've just been putting downstairs everynow and then just to keep myself from being bored.

Been working on my normal putt which is a hyzer drop putt and the other day I was watching Nate Doss on youtube and found his putting style unique so I've been messing around with it. I still keep my stance the same though,I don't like messing with my stance.

Since the Judges I'm getting are comparable to flight as a beadless Aviar I've been putting with them downstairs instead of the Rhyno's(thank you to whoever pointed out a Judge aint nothing like a Ryhno for me). :D

The Nate Doss type of style is crazy how it works(well for me that is) I get a flat floaty slow motion flight throughout and when it hits chains it sticks. Instead of me having to put more onto it with my Hyzer style for 30ft and out this style still feels like I'm 20ft and in. Maybe this is a style that can work for me,since I have trouble being consistent with my hyzer putt.

Since I've disced down a bit I have been getting those 28ft to 40ft putts as my 2nd putt. I have more consistency on my Drives now,but my putting game has been good over the years,but not great.

Going to try out this style for a bit and see if it's for me. So far downstairs it's been working pretty good,but downstairs and the course is a whole different animal so we will see.

Oh yeah I ended up hitting my 19th ace the other day with a Wizard on an uphill heavily wooded 235ft hole. It was great. :D

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:45 pm

Before i forget,just leaving myself a note, With the Nate Doss style of putting there is less stress/tension on the back of my forearm. Sometimes when i hit it just right I feel no stress at all almost like it is natural. Well you know what i mean.

I read somewhere that if you feel too much tension or stress in the back of your forearm area it takes away distance and consistency from your putts.Not sure how true this is,but I can tell a difference in my how my forearm feels on 30+ft putts.Other style there was lots of tension,this new one noticeably less tension,by a lot.

Just wanted to type this out before I forgot.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:00 am

I have been preaching about loose muscles for a long time. A hyzred putt does not glide as much so to get the same distance and height to be able to make it into the basket needs more power. A Rhyno glides less than most putters so the damage is doubled. Flat or minimally anny putts go a lot farther without needing to jerk 100 % power from any body part that normally translates to more fatigue reducing performance later on the round or the next round. Not to mention consistency and accuracy.

I get to 350' at times with a new Z Pred with a moderate dome that is lower than X Preds. That is with a skip they land more like 330'. So obviously the hard fade eats up some distance. But 380' sounds great even with a low fade one considering the speed and glide of the Pred. I assume a Teebird would go a little farther than those broken in Preds of yours. I have tossed PDs (varies a lot in flight and distance) to 380' on a flat shot and 410' on a perfect s-curve in calm conditions. Beasts to 420' once in a blue moon and Nukes to 430' unless you count asphalt magnified skips then it would be 447' for my record. With that background you shopuld definitely be able to handle a Beast power generation wise and at least the milder warp speeders too. And get a lot more than 380' on drives flat and s-curved. Which leads me to believe you have a form issue limiting you from getting everything out of the fastere longer drivers. Mild nose up problems hurt the fast discs when you can get away with it with slower discs. It could be something else too but that is the most common problem i think.

All i ask is that you give the Judge and any other new disc you buy the full repertoire of shots. Actually eveything that you own too because that is the only way to really know those discs and it gives you the best chance of creating a working bag and the tools to handle all conditions and hole shapes and distances.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:06 pm

I do have one thing I failed to mention. The High Speed Drivers always seem to slip out of my hand due to how wide the wings are. It's just where my hands are smaller I don't feel comfortable with the grip and I do know I have nose up issues with the High Speed Drivers and I believe that is due to the limited amount of grip. I could be wrong though.

It's mainly the thinner rimmed High Speed Drivers. I have always thought that since you have to use so much arm speed you need something on the more understable side of things like a Tern,King,Pro Destroyers,Pro Wraith and an Archon. Well that is what I used. They just start to become flippy and when I try to adjust my angles it messes with the power I can put on them.

Now up to speed 9/10 I can change the Angles in every which way and have no problems. My main release though is a flat release,it's just easier for me to judge my lines. I just wonder if I should try something like a Force or a PD2. I don't know much about the PD2 but I heard the Force breaks in very nicely and is not mad overstable like you would think it would be. So I don't waste a ton of money I have thought about trying just a Pro D Force. Says it's pretty much the same stability as the other plastics so it couldn't hurt to try.

Truthfully though the extra distance is nice,but around here there is really no need for something that goes over 400 ft. There are a few holes that are around 415ish,but that is about it. Now if I traveled about an hour and a half there are some really good courses that are within 15 minutes of each other,now those I would need something like that,because well over half of those holes are well over 415 easy. I might be out there 4 times a years truthfully.

I will keep that stuff in mind though.Thanks for all your help man.

Oh and one other thing. I picked up an extra Roc and a ESP Cyclone today. dirt cheap too.

Wow did I score big. The Roc is a flat top Roc with some sort of special stamp. It is very grippy but not R-Pro Grippy and not that crappy grip,it's a pure Roc. I don't know if it is a 12x or just a regular Roc,but man if you could only feel this thing. It is like heaven man. Just going by how it feels and looks I'm gonna take my 12x out of the bag and put this in it's place. it's a 179 too.

This ESP Cyclone is so much different than my other one. My other one is really stiff ESP Plastic this new one could be mistaken as a FLX ESP. It is like the perfect blend. I feel it is gonna fly really good. Man I scored big today man.

One other thing. Just gonna throw my PD's back in the bag and do some more side by side tests with my worn Predators. I've been training a lot here lately so my Arm is a bit stronger,now if I can just teach my hand to quit slipping off those high speed drivers. lol

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:18 am

Nose up kills speed ten and above discs. Even the Beast which is great for small and weaker hands. I have had surgery to my throwing arm and it still left me with slightly pinched nerves. I also have m hand with smaller fingers and the Beast is fine now after training grip strength. Nose up is independent to slips. Are you pulling level with wrist down until after the rip with the disc oriented flat or down in the hand? You can raise the rear of the disc so that the disc touches the inner joint of the thumb. It will likely stiffen arm muscles slowing down the arm so moderation can be a good thing. You need to have a strong left leg push and short enough final step to be able to shift your weight upright or as a crutch a little forward leaning at the rip. Videoing yourself helps.

While waiting for more grip strength it helps to get lighter discs if that does not make the disc too flippy. if you
have a 175 Beast a 166 helps and it is not flippy. You throw far for someone with limited grip power and slight nose up problems. Master the Beast and you are immediately at 400' or farther and mastering Nukes may add to that. That is good on those 415' holes but the better you get the the hunger to compete might get. That may result in getting to travel to longer courses which in turn can be rewarding when you notice you stay competitive even there. It may not happen but why not keep the option open just in case?

Another reason for adding distance is added control thus accuracy and consistency at shorter ranges like those on the courses you play. Profit!
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:17 am

I'm not sure what the angle of the disc looks like before it comes out,but I'll pay more attention now that you mentioned it.

Thanks man for the help. :D

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:44 am

Almost forgot.

The two Beasts that I have in the closet are of the old mold and not the newer mold. so it's a lot more Stable. I seen that they now have G-Star Beasts. My Interest has peaked lol. If I did try em out again I would like to try the new mold again. The guy I gave that one Beast to was of the newer mold and I remember it's flight being very good,It was a broken in Star.

I could probably run with a Pro Beast and a G-Star Beast and see how that goes. I know they have those two at the shop as I looked at them the other day.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:21 pm

There are two shapes of the new mold Beasts with the less straight winged ones being more hss thus better. One millimeter of leading edge height makes a lot of difference and that happens between the two.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:40 pm

JR wrote:There are two shapes of the new mold Beasts with the less straight winged ones being more hss thus better. One millimeter of leading edge height makes a lot of difference and that happens between the two.

Sweet man. I will be sure to look for that when I get out there Thursday. Thanks

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:06 pm

Ok been playing a few rounds and getting the feel of my discs a little better since the downsize of molds.

The old 11x Roc I took out. It was overlapping with my Z Comet. The 11x Roc is pretty beat and the Z Comet is pretty beat but still flies like new. Both have the same flight except that the Roc wants to drop and the Comet keeps going.

The Newest Flat Top Roc works wonders. It was a bit windy and it handled it like a champ.For sure no overlap with any of my Mids.

The biggest surprise I had in 5+ rounds of playing was my Cyclone's vs. my Fury(s). Ok I know the Fury is a bit longer,but I would choke up on the holes I throw the Fury except for 2. Was the throwing the Cyclone's on same holes except for 1. It took just a little adjusting but I was within putting range on the same holes. I forgot how sneaky long a Cyclone can be. There is one hole where the Fury out does it,but I believe with a little more work I can get my P-PD or a Beast(still thinking on this one) on the sweet little S-Shot around the trees. I don't know I think a Combination of my Cyclones and P-PD may kick the Fury(s). Still undecided though.

One of the bigger things about my bag is the addition of PD's again. This is gonna be tough,but I think they are gonna kick out my Predators. You see my Predators are sneaky long,but so are my PD's. I've been real consistent with my throws and the Predator's were going 370ft to 380ft,where the PD's were hitting 380ft to 390ft. Same similar lines with both discs,PD's being more prone to skipping,but I can deal with that.I'm still gonna give the Predators a go everytime I'm out there,but the PD's are starting to work much better for me.

I'm still on the fence about getting a Beast. I can see how a Beast would come in handy. There are 5 holes I could use a Beast on. One that is a S-Shot around trees and is 426ft to the right. A 400ft straight ahead shot,but with some angled banking to make it interesting. A 401ft Hyzer open shot that is nestled in the woods,but is much harder than it looks. A uphill 405ft straight with slight hyzer shot you throw over trees that feels like 500+ and a 438ft downhill shot that is made so if you torque it too much it will turnover due to the angle. I use my PD's right now,but I can see myself using beasts with hardly no wind and PD's when there is wind. Sounds like a good combo.

Still debating on whether to take out my Evoultion Wizard. It's old but I crank it far. The Erasers have similar stability but don't go as far for some strange reason. I'll probably leave it in though.

Still no Judges,but should be here tomorrow. :D

Gonna change the bag up in the OP,gonna go ahead and take off the Predators since more than likely they are gonna be out again lol. I'm really liking my PD's again. I will keep them in the side pockets just for the side by side comparison until I'm for sure what I want to do.

That's it for now. hopefully I'll be able to give an update about those Judges soon. :D

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:31 pm

Many make the mistake of changing the bag instead of the technique. Getting the disc level or front down is more important than having a bag that minimizes the damage from having a nose up flight.

Now i get how you throw the Preds that far if they fly like the PD.

One thing about the Beast that i like is that unlike the other long discs is that it performs better with a front and rear on the same level throws. At our power a front down throw flips moderately but a level throw flips only a couple of degrees with a clean shot at 400' and not really more at 420' which is the farthest i have gotten it. At 390' it has not flipped in calm conditions.

in theory a higher front down shot could give more distance especially with a mild s curve but the Beady fades so little and is not hurt that much from flying level that it would change things at my power. It needs yo fly high to get max d with a level shot and i do not have the power to get it even higher and push the front down every time. The nice thing about a level Beast throw for those of us with smaller hands and fingers is that tve arm muscles stay loose thus fastest possible when the wrist needs no wrestling down trying to lower the front below the rear. Like other faster discs need. And that benefits enough to cancel out the possible loss of not getting the disc even higher and front down. While making the disc flip less and a little more immune to mid flight gusts. Win two times over. Not needing to use a lot of power to force the front below horizontal leaves one fresher which is great for multiple rounds.

The Beast belongs to the sneaky long category with the PD and your beat Preds and the finicky Sidewinder. Newer ones seem to have shed the inconsistency of the originals but it is still damn flippy needing two dozen degrees of hyzer to flip to flat on high lines at our power.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:50 pm

Thanks JR for all the input you have been giving me. I've been thinking about it for a bit since you first mentioned the beasts and I'm gonna Try out the G-Star and a Pro. With my Experience with past pro discs(Pro Valkyrie and a Pro Leopard) they turn into pretty dang good hyzerflip discs or great S-Shot discs.

Also this might throw you for a loop. I got to throw my friends Champion Mamba the other day and he said here,throw this disc on the same line you throw your Fury,but have it flat instead of with the nose at a small angle(for a big Turnover). Threw it and it flipped up pretty as you please and I would have parked it but i heard it hit the tree at the end(it's a good 389ft turnover shot). I was 40ft out. Would have parked it if i didn't hit the tree. Funny thing is it was so dang easy to get it to do that. So with that in mind I'm gonna trade in some stuff to get a G-Star Mamba too. You know even though it is a Speed 11 disc it feels like a speed 10 to be honest.

Also in a way I feel the Pro Beast could possibly beat into that kind of throw,but I still think I would have to put it on a slight angle.Sometimes that can be good or bad. So I'm gonna role with the Mamba as well.

So with that in mind here is what my Main Distance/Control drivers will look like.

Discmania S,P and C-Line PD's
Innova G-Star and Pro Beast
Innova G-Star Mamba

I have a good feeling about this. My Cyclones can cover my wooded shots in many plastics and stages of wear. The what is listed above can handle the rest. I really like the Fury,I really do,but is it needed? It's one of those things I've been asking myself since I figured out the Cyclones again.

Still gonna do some side by side testing with the Predators/PD's and now it looks like the Mamba/Beast could possibly kick out the Fury for open distance and the Cyclone for wooded shots. That's what I love about experimenting,if you have been at it as long as I have it's so much easier to diagnose problems and what not.

Oh yeah The Judges friggen kick some butt man. I went back to an old style of putting. The didn't really click for me with my hyzer putt or the Nate Doss Type putt. When I went back to a flat spin type putt I was nailing chains everytime. These babies stick too. I was hitting 40 to 45ft putts and making it look easy. I was grinning from ear to ear. They ding up real easy,but that is more cosmetic than anything. Love these Putters. I still prefer my wizards for driving though. :D

Thanks JR for the help again. I'm gonna be pretty stoked about going back to the Beasts too.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:20 am

It sounds like you will reach a new level this year. If you are able to push the front of the Beast down even the newest ones flip nicely for annies. Grats on the improvements. Fury vs Cyclone is a preference thing with shorter throws and can be influenced by the meshing of the distance discs with either. Normally less gliding discs are more dependable when you are fresh. But pushing less gliding discs out to their limits fatiques you. Because fws are about accuracy they should not be ripped hard so if your distance discs are accurate at above control power for Cyclones i would pick them. If you are out of shape and like to finesse at well under max power the Fury gets better results over multiple rounds. So there are many preferences to ponder what you need. It sounds like you love both and might have a slight preference for the Cyclone. But only you can be sure of it. I would do a shoot out throwing both on every hole on your home courses.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:36 pm

Thanks again for the help JR and I believe now I have a better grasp on my bag now and with that in mind I'm gonna cut down on my discs again. I'm staring to really feel out everything especially now that I have my hands on a Beast and Mamba now. Beast was pretty easy to get use to again and the Mamba is great for turnovers,just too easy actually.

I'm gonna have my 3 main putters and then 12 discs in the middle,(luckily I have 3 bags so i can transfer my dividers from the small bag to the big bag). Another plus is I'll have more energy on the course and taking out some of the extra discs will keep me from throwing 2 shots sometimes(I am guilty of this). This in fact should increase my focus and really get me to learn the discs better. Sometimes when throwing 2 discs you are not fully focused and this leads to aggravation(I am guilty of this too) which could possibly mess up the next few holes. I've thrown enough over the years and familiarized myself with whats in the bag to be able to manipulate them for what is missing.

So for now what I update in the OP is what I'm gonna be running with for a bit. I feel pretty confident it will work pretty good.

One other thing. I have a problem with my back sometimes and this lighter load on me will be a big plus
Last edited by UncleBrother2001 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion