Uncle B's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Uncle B's Bag

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:51 pm

Sweeet guys thanks for the responses.

I came so close to getting a Verdict,I wasn't sure if I would need it in my bag or not. So If I get one will I be cookin with gas then? :P

I did however put my Fuses back in the bag. Comets will probably go back in at a later time though. :D I always go back and forth between these 2 discs as I really like both of them a lot.

Was messing around with an old Gummy Champion Spider,just for the fact that it may have a similar flight to the Truth.I don't know yet was just making a guesstimation,so I starting throwing it a bit. Parked 3 pretty hard holes with it earlier today.

I didn't get a chance to go to those courses I was gonna go to to test out the Beasts against the Valkyrie. Weather was looking like rain all day.So far though my Valkyrie has impressed the heck out of me. Forgot how well I threw these things. I threw a big S-Shot with my 5x earlier today that was everybit of 380ft. My jaw dropped when I was just 20ft from the basket for birdie earlier. Glad I have them back in the bag.

Still trying to dial in the Judges. I was hitting some great putts with them earlier,but then I'll get these putts that just seem to drop out of the sky like a brick. I've been spin putting them,but I think when they drop like a brick I'm trying to do my old style putt and not mean to while trying to spin it and it causes this crazy just "dead putt" I should say.

Also The Rivers seemed to be acting the same earlier. One is Gold Line and one is Opto. Isn't Opto supposed to be the more stable of the two? I have however figured out how to throw them,but now it seems they fly pretty dang similar. Not sure if I should keep them both in the bag and maybe keep the idea mentally that the Opto is more stable than the Gold Line. Could me just maybe thinking one is supposed to be more stable make one fly that way? Sorry,that was just a crazy thought that entered my head earlier. Kinda doing that right now and using them for different shots. It's usually when I really crank on them that they fly the same,when I'm more finesse with them they do kinda fly a bit different.

But yeah I shot pretty well and I got one of my buddies to hit a breakthrough today. He finally gets the whole bringing it across his chest thing,well throwing it flat. Today was the first time that it was just me and him out there. It's usually me and a bunch of our friends,so he was able to really see how I threw my discs. He said just by watching me he was able to finally have it click for him. And for real guys he was getting some good cranks. normally he was always around 250ft max. Today after it clicked for him he was getting it easy to 300ft. He had that same look in his eye that I had when I finally figured it out.

So today,minus crappy weather,was a good Disc Golf day. :D
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby Timko » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:12 pm

I throw a lot of Legacy stuff now. The Rival is the more stable (think Teebird) fairway driver. It's not overstable by any means, but you can get it to hold a hyzer pretty well in a variety of wind conditions. I'm just getting a little more familar with it. I find the Pinnacle more overstable than the Icon in the Rival. All and all, it's great plastic, and a pretty solid disc.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:12 pm

Timko wrote:I throw a lot of Legacy stuff now. The Rival is the more stable (think Teebird) fairway driver. It's not overstable by any means, but you can get it to hold a hyzer pretty well in a variety of wind conditions. I'm just getting a little more familar with it. I find the Pinnacle more overstable than the Icon in the Rival. All and all, it's great plastic, and a pretty solid disc.

I just got it today. The Rival feels like what you say. I am for sure gonna like this disc a lot.

I was gonna go Rival/Patriot,but I really like those Rivers I got off my buddy so for now I'm gonna stick with the Rival/River fairway Combo.

I can't wait to get on the course to try this out. It feels like it will be great at both backhand and forehands.Gonna go on Saturday before the Nascar race starts.

I also received my Lucid Judge and my Lucid Truth. Holy cow is all I got to say. That Lucid plastic is something else.Feels great. Plus the Truth has the same diameter as my Fuses(goin by feel here) so the transition will be easy goin from one to the other. I'm hoping the Judge will be my new Driving putter. I Used Wizards for years,but I'm really wanting to give the Judge a chance,so I decided why no try it in this plastic.Should be more stable for sure and should be easy Hyzerflips all day long(crosses fingers) :D

I really feel my bag is starting to come together pretty good. Still got the Rival/Truth/Lucid Judge to test,but in all honesty I feel they will work out pretty good for me.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Oh yeah the Rival is for sure the shiznit. Love this baby forehand and backhand. The Truth is now one of my favorite Midranges next to my Comets and Fuses,to be honest I think I like it better just because it excels at both forehands and backhands. The Lucid Judge is everything I was wanting in a driving putter. It's plenty stable so it can handle a pretty hard tug without flipping over and it holds a line very well. Love all 3 of these discs :D

Also the local pitch and putt course just added 9 more holes. The old 9 the farthest hole was 260ft. Now they have 5 holes over 340ft. One of them is at a whopping 468ft. The other 4 are short like the others,but the way they are set up you have to be pretty technical with your backhand or have a very accurate forehand. My Rival and Truth came in handy on the newer holes. I did get my Champion Tern to about 415ft on the 468ft hole,almost nailed the upshot with my soft Judge too.

All in all the new 9 are actually pretty fun and for sure makes this course more fun. I am for sure going to start going here more than the other courses. Heck it's only 6 minutes down the road and 5 holes need pretty good rips so those other courses I may just go to everynow and then. Hey it saves me on gas too. :D

Next month I'm gonna try out a Suspect from Dynamic Discs. I am really digging their plastic as of late and gonna try the Suspect to see how it fares against my Zone's. Hey I may like it more.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:11 am

The Suspect is faster and straighter thus longer than my early very overstable Zone. Without knowing the difference of my Zone to the reportedly less OS Zones i still think the distance difference is going to be clear due to the speed difference and some although not much glide of the Suspect when the Zone has almost none.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:47 pm

JR wrote:The Suspect is faster and straighter thus longer than my early very overstable Zone. Without knowing the difference of my Zone to the reportedly less OS Zones i still think the distance difference is going to be clear due to the speed difference and some although not much glide of the Suspect when the Zone has almost none.

I'm still on the Fence on the Verdict,but I am for sure gonna try out a Suspect next month. I can get 2 discs so I may get a Classic Soft and a Lucid.

Another thing. Is it considered a Putter or is the Suspect a Midrange? It has a speed of 4 which technically could go either way.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:09 pm

The Suspect is a mid in shape flight path speed and distance. On a Finnish forum the Verdict was likened to the Suspect with a harder fade.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:27 pm

Thanks JR. :thumbup:

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:21 pm

I kind of mistakenly made my putting game better the other day.

I was putting on a hill and i could not get my footing where I wanted it. So I had to spread my feet apart farther than I normally do. When I putted it was like it was on a rail. I though to myself ok that was interesting. So I tried both my regular putt and the spreading my feet farther apart. Well the spreading my feet apart was better for me. I have pretty powerful legs and I understand that all my putting power comes from my legs during this putt. So why not use my most powerful part of my body to help me putt instead of a weight shift? Seems like the right thing to do.

Gonna work with it for a bit as I actually shot one of one my best scores at this course than has 29 holes using this putting style. I was 15 under with this style and 9 under with the other. I promise I wasn't favoring one over the other,I was focusing just as hard on each putt.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:31 am

Using the legs is fundamental to good putting. Check out how deeply the best players bend their knees in the beginning of a putt and where they end up in. Feldy teaches to use an athletic position basically meaning a wide enough possibly staggered stance to be able to putt from a steady base that is immune to the ground below and enables good powering of the leg push. Feldy taught people to jump up turn 90 degrees in the air and seeing how you land because that should be an athletic position. For me better results came from a wider and more staggered stance than came from jumping. Feldy seems to use a very deep stance too and i have too strong legs to bend down that deep :D
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:57 pm

JR wrote:Using the legs is fundamental to good putting. Check out how deeply the best players bend their knees in the beginning of a putt and where they end up in. Feldy teaches to use an athletic position basically meaning a wide enough possibly staggered stance to be able to putt from a steady base that is immune to the ground below and enables good powering of the leg push. Feldy taught people to jump up turn 90 degrees in the air and seeing how you land because that should be an athletic position. For me better results came from a wider and more staggered stance than came from jumping. Feldy seems to use a very deep stance too and i have too strong legs to bend down that deep :D

Sweet man. That's good to know. I really do enjoy using that putting style. I can control my power if need be or just put the mustard on it when I'm far back. There is hardly any tension in the arm when I putt this way and I like it. :D

I've been trying to absorb all this info that you and many others have been telling me like a sponge and learn new things. I've learned more in the past 3 years than I have in my first 12 years. Shoot last year was the first year that I broke 400 feet in a drive. So I appreciate the info once again. :thumbup:

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:24 pm

Make sure you don't get lazy wth the 'hit', especially on longer putts. Relaxed arm is good, but the motion needs to be quick.

Style/stance is a matter of preferance and comfort. Watch a tourney video with any 4 pros in a grouping, and chances are each one will have a difference putting stance.

There are many players who don't bend their knees much, but stand more upright and use balance transfer on their front leg while kicking off their back leg. Feldberg uses a staggered stance crouch(legs bent), LoCastro a staddle crouch. Most players and pros don't do this, they're more upright and don't get real low.

I suspect JR looks like a frog on a lilly pad, ready to pounce, but hey, that's ok...
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:15 pm

Climo under branches leaping forward onto his belly at EO 205 on youtube channel hyzernauttv i think was called frogger by the commentators :-D That is way more lower than i use but there are good points being made. The arm needs to be at under 100 % effort for accuracy and consistency but the final acceleration for aiming and clean releases needs about 90 % acceleration to avoid getting the elbow straight which would flip the wrist right. While you can get way more power from the legs than most players do and some pros do it is not the only way to add power without pushing too hard with the arm. MAny top pros if not all of them shift their weight back to front. Pushing the pelvis forward starting bent forward like bowing down like the Japanese during greeting ending up upright adds tremendous power as well. They are not using leg power either so you are not creating inconsistencies there either by using the torso at a little under max power too. Legs+ shifting your weight back to front+using your torso muscles+arm is a totally different thing compared to the arm alone.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BentElbow11 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:00 pm

JR wrote:Climo under branches leaping forward onto his belly at EO 205 on youtube channel hyzernauttv i think was called frogger by the commentators :-D That is way more lower than i use but there are good points being made. The arm needs to be at under 100 % effort for accuracy and consistency but the final acceleration for aiming and clean releases needs about 90 % acceleration to avoid getting the elbow straight which would flip the wrist right. While you can get way more power from the legs than most players do and some pros do it is not the only way to add power without pushing too hard with the arm. MAny top pros if not all of them shift their weight back to front. Pushing the pelvis forward starting bent forward like bowing down like the Japanese during greeting ending up upright adds tremendous power as well. They are not using leg power either so you are not creating inconsistencies there either by using the torso at a little under max power too. Legs+ shifting your weight back to front+using your torso muscles+arm is a totally different thing compared to the arm alone.

I've seen that with Climo, LOL. His normal putting stance is very upright though. Doss, very upright. Lundmark, very upright. Etc, etc. Push putters tend to have a lower stance with knees more bent, but it does not need to be an extreme crouch.

Yes, weight shift/balance transfer...however you do it.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:15 pm

Doss with the anhyzer putt is a great example of how manipulating the flight of the disc also reduces the needed power. Another way is to make a hybrid of the spin and push putt. note that Feldy teaches in his clinics that the push putt too has a sharp final acceleration but who is to say that you cannot raise the disc from the reach back to the release in a spin putt? I do not because that is how i roll.

I am sure that if i were to see a video of me jump putting i would crouch down way lower than normal which is on the lower end of stances to begin with.

Lundmark does not always push with his pelvis but without checking a lot of videos i seem to gotten an idea in my head that he does that at times.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion