Monocacy’s bag: forehand now included!

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Monocacy’s bag: forehand now included!

Postby Monocacy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:40 pm

keltik wrote:you want to buy that 165 Comet?

Let me check my Comet stash this evening and I'll let you know.

In the meantime, please refresh my (probably faulty) memory - condition, dome, price, etc.? PM would be fine. I still have one ESP LE Comet 170-2 yellow 9/10 on my list.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby keltik » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:00 pm

PM sent
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Monocacy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:51 pm

With wet snow on the ground, I'm switching back to Zero Pure as my approach/driving putter. Pures files similarly to Anodes, but the wet grip is much better. I don't mind a slippery disc for putting, but slips are murder on my approach shots.

I just made a 165' uphill approach shot with a Zero Pure in the back yard, so I'm taking that as a sign of approval from the disc golf deities. :D

Edit: I have been carrying the Star Coyote in place of the Z Comet, but need more throws to evaluate it. I hope to play an ice bowl at Patapsco next weekend. If we play the Green Monster layout, that should provide lots of opportunities for long approach shots in the woods.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Monocacy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:15 am

I have been working FH approaches back into my game, but to preserve my shoulder I’m still not driving FH much off the tee. The main unsettled area is putters (see below).

STABLE CONTROL DRIVER

Teebird DX 150: Straight and stable. On windy days I carry a fresh DX or Echo Star Teebird, but I also have some flat Champ TBs that need testing.

UNDERSTABLE DRIVER

Diamond Light Opto 155: Easy to throw, easy to turn, workable, amazing glide. I use this a lot in the woods, uphill, and as my “forehand substitute.”

MODERATELY OVERSTABLE DRIVER

Krait Blizzard 154: Workable, stands up to wind nicely, good distance on a flex line, and delivers a big fade when needed.

DISTANCE DRIVER

Mamba Champ 150: Great glide, and predictable on hyzer flip and turnover lines. With its shallow depth, I can also throw it pretty cleanly on FH trick shots.

VERY OVERSTABLE DRIVER

Banshee Champ 153

MIDRANGES

Roc DX flat-top 165: Stable drives and approaches. I like the way flat-tops cut through the wind, and love the way Rocs stick the landing on fast greens.

Buzzz ESP 166: I ordered a pair to test. I still have trouble getting a clean FH release with Rocs, and I would like a straight disc that isn’t as touchy as the Comet.

Comet Z 164: Money in the woods. I tested the Star Coyote and it is a nice disc, but the Comet is magic.

PUTTERS

Rhyno Champ 165: Approaches with fade, FH approaches, and distance control. Rhyno has quickly made itself indispensable.

Putting and straight driving putter TBD. I want a grippy baseline putting putter, and the same/similar mold in a reasonably durable plastic for straight/anny/turnover approaches out to 200’ or so. I had been using Anodes for both, but after one too many slips in the winter slush I switched to 167 Zero Pures. Pure is much more intuitive than Anode as a driving putter, and I love putting with Pures. Compared with the Anode, Pure needs less spin on putts so I was able to switch back to a pitch putt (which is more accurate for me).

Problem is that I cannot find Pures in any plastic at my preferred 165-6 gram weight. I have three 165 Zero Pures, but I refuse to become dependent on discs I cannot replace. Sux.

So, I ordered two of multiple variations of Aviars – DX P&A, SS Omega, Sirius Omega, and Yeti Pro. If one of these doesn’t work out, I dunno. Maybe a Magnet, Summit, or I could always go back to Warlocks. I would really like to settle on a putter before tournament season begins.

Thoughts welcomed!
Last edited by Monocacy on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Monocacy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Quick bag update:

Star TL in - DX Teebird out
GL Fuse in - Z Comet and ESP Buzzz out
Star Mamba in - Champ Mamba out

Main question is about putters. I'm looking for a shallow-rimmed neutral-stable putter, available at 170 grams or less in a variety of plastics. I used Yeti Aviars for most of the summer, but the Yeti has too much "float" on putts and is not available in premium plastic for drives and approaches.

Considering:

Clutch: I like this so far. Straight-stable on drives, straight with a nice drop rate on putts, and available < 170 grams in various plastics. Icon Clutch can mimic most Rhyno lines with a little extra hyzer. Strong contender.

Pure: Love the Pure, but hate trying to find them < 170 grams. I have seen RGL Pures < 170, but hear they are domey rather than flat. How does the dome affect the flight?

PA4: Never tried but sounds promising for putts (300 plastic) and straight approaches (400 plastic). From reading reviews, the PA2 sounds Wizard-ish and the PA1 sounds Rhyno-like. Is that accurate? Is the PA2 similar to an Icon Clutch for approaches and short drives?

For reference, I throw putters a little over 200' from a standstill, and a bit further with a run-up. Beyond that distance I usually throw a midrange.

Other suggestions? Thoughts greatly appreciated!
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Since you have and like the Clutch maybe that is something you need to use more to solidify your opinion and if it works why change it? If you decide to change DD Judge.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Monocacy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:07 pm

JR wrote:Since you have and like the Clutch maybe that is something you need to use more to solidify your opinion and if it works why change it? If you decide to change DD Judge.

Good advice JR, thanks! I played a quick round with the Icon and Protege Clutches this weekend (no Rhyno), and didn't feel like I was missing anything. A few more rounds should decide the matter. I do need to see how the Clutch holds up on a windy day.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Re: Monocacy’s end-of-season bag

Postby Monocacy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:27 pm

My bag is now built around three neutral-stable discs – the Clutch, Truth, and FD Jackal. These discs cover most of my shots, and all are quite happy being thrown flat and hard, backhand or forehand.

I have also bumped up disc weights a bit: putters to 170 (was 165); Mids to 166-170 (was 165); and fairway drivers to 163-167 (was < 160). I was throwing light discs to save wear and tear on my ragged-out shoulder, but learning how to reduce strong-arming accomplishes the same thing.

tl;dr version:

Clutch in, Yeti Aviar out
River in, Diamond out
FD Jackal in, TL out
Truth in, Roc threatened

Feedback, as always, is welcomed.

STABLE CONTROL DRIVER

S-FD Jackal 165-7: Domey Jackals are remarkably high-speed stable with minimal fade and sneaky long. The Jackal is comfortable to work on anny lines, scoffs at howling headwinds, and best of all tolerates my crappy forehand.

UNDERSTABLE DRIVER

River Opto 162-4: Controllably understable with great glide, and generally does not come back when turned over. Rivers are easier to control than Diamonds for hyzer-flips, turnovers, standstill distance, and fast-turning rollers.

River Gold Line 166: Less understable, more fade. Useful on S-curves and on turnovers/annys that need to flatten out at the finish.

MODERATELY OVERSTABLE DRIVER

Krait Blizzard 154: Good distance on low/flex lines, stands up to wind nicely, and delivers a healthy fade when needed. The one that I have used all summer is starting to lose a little HSS, which just makes it longer.

DISTANCE DRIVER

Mamba Star 160: Easy distance, amazing glide, predictably understable, great for hyzer flips, turnovers, and long rollers.

VERY OVERSTABLE DRIVER

Banshee Champ 153: Utility stuff, flick rollers, skips, ridiculous headwinds, crazy S-curves, etc. I have been driving with the Banshee more often since dropping the Teebird and TL. The Banshee I have been throwing for about 2 years is starting to straighten out, so I ordered a pair of 165s.

MIDRANGES

Truth Lucid 166: I have been throwing this on most midrange shots for the past few weeks and so far I like it a lot. Good glide, stable, and workable. Nice for FH, too. Roc is on the sidelines while I see what the Truth can do.

Fuse GL 167: Understable complement, amazing glide, less touchy than the Comet.

PUTTERS

Clutch Gravity 170: Putting. The Clutch is much better in the wind compared with Yeti Aviars, my previous putter, which had too much float.

Clutch Icon 170: Approaches. I enjoy throwing the same disc in different plastics, and so far I have not missed the Champ Rhyno.

Ordered a pair of 170 ESP Zones to test as an overstable mid-putter ‘tweener, mostly to cover shots where I need more hook than the Clutch can give, but the Banshee might overshoot.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Previous

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion