the bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: the bag

Postby zj1002 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:13 pm

Mc Pro P&A Big Bead x2
Omega AP 1.11 - replaced the SS for the spring/summer(warmer)
KC P2 stock - replaced Omega BB for spring/summer

CE QMS x2
Aurora MF 2.1
C-MD2 - 3rd run flat
Champion Roc

QJLS x2 - edit: looked back at my old bag posts, and one of these QJs is the oldest disc in my bag. over 2 years and barely changed. lost without it
QOLF 1.2 x2 - both opaque orange. both replaced my other 1.2s. 1 needed to be rotated out, the other was recently Aced
QOLF 1.3 - purple stardust - this run is seriously nice
Star Firebird - flat and has some HSS seasoned out. This disc was lost for like 6 months, just returned. replaces CPD

Q Scorpius - flat for flips/turnovers
S Scorpius - 1 beefy, 1 straight(main Scorpius)
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby zj1002 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:21 pm

On lunch. update time

McPro P&A Big Bead - main putter
Aviar DX Small Bead - 10m and out putter. straddle putter
Omega AP 1.11 - 168g seasoned
KC P2 stock run - amazing driving putter

CE QMS x2 - 1 seasoned, 1 brand new
C-MD2 -3rd run flat
Champion Roc 06

QJLS x2
QOLF x2
QOLS
Firebird *

S Scorpius x2 - 1 beefy, 1 flippy
S DD x2 - 1 165g, 1 175g
S Xcal - long forehand shots mainly

dropped the Aurora MF. Spent a lot of time in the field with the MD2s I had and dialed in how I want to throw them. Also working on making my FH as strong as my backhand so I have been working a lot with the Xcal and Firebird for long hyzers. The QOLS is also mainly used for straight Forehand shots.
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby Monocacy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:30 pm

zj1002 wrote:McPro P&A Big Bead

Wait - I thought the McPro Aviars were P&A mold (no bead)?

Good luck with the forehand, it makes the game so much simpler. Knowing how analytical you are, I hope you will post your thoughts on forehand technique once you have worked them out.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby zj1002 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:12 pm

My forehand is basically using the same mental approach as the backhand. Minimal effort to reach a big hit. My forehand has a long ways to go. Still about 100ft short of where I want on a flat line, I get to 350ft controlled fairly consistently. Trying not to throw big flex lines so that I don't cheat my form. gotta work on getting extended all the way. My hit point is farther back than I want.

And the McPro BBs were the original testers on the factory store. Came out about a month before the McPros, and lasted about 5 minutes. Paul chose the beadless over the big bead. Lucky enough to get 5. But wishing I had more. Still really wishing Millennium made stiff KC/Yeti Pro Omegas. It is a dream putter for sure. The factory store told me the big beads are still a possible release, but I personally don't expect it any time soon.
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:16 pm

Also probably going to add a Q-Sent to the bag. Just because its a fun disc
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:08 pm

putter switch already after practice all night

Omega AP/Experiment has replaced the McPro

Next best thing to a kc omega. might as well use the stack I have rather than bitch about not having kc omegas
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:46 pm

Gearing up my bag for tourneys. This one is setup for a course I am going to practice this weekend for an event at the end of the month. Bag is pretty full for a couple reasons - 1)seasoning in new discs & 2) need extra qty for the practice round to determine best disc choices. It will get trimmed down before the event.

Omega AP/Driver x2 - putting
KC P2 - driving, stable
Omega AP 1.11 - driving, understable
Omega SS BB - touch approaches that will SIT DOWN

CE QMS x-out x2 - 1 turnover, 1 straight
CMD2 - new flat run
Champion Roc 06
Star Gator - beadless

QJLS x2 - 1 turns, 1 stable
QOLF x2 - 1 seasoned "main driver", 1 freshy that is beefy
QOLS - Will probably drop this and just roll with my seasoned QJLS/QOLF combo for the event.
Star Firebird - it does what it does

S-Scorpius x3 - 1 brand new(for seasoning), 1 straight/flippy, 1 beefy bottom stamp
DD x2 - 1 165g, 175g
Destroyer S/DS x2 - This where it overlaps with the Scorpius pretty heavy. But both of these are seasoned to fit right between my main 2 Scorpius(flippy and beefy). I don't have any other S-Scorpius that fit this spot right now. These do have subtle differences in they way they turn/fade so I'll use my practice round to decide which one stays for the tourney.

Basically plan to drop the following unless I find I really need them for the event: 1 Scorpius, 1 Destroyer, 1 165g DD, and 1 QOLS. The course demands a lot of midrange shots, and then distance Destroyer types. So I may end up keeping 3 Scorpius, 2 Destroyers, and 1 DD just because I will need the subtle differences they offer. To me the Scorpius is different enough from the Destroyer, especially as they wear, to justify keeping both.
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:26 am

After playing Gonzo and practicing my with the speed 12 drivers all weekend, I am going with this

S-Scorpius x3
  • 170g 1st Run orange - still nice and stable, but can flip up flat
  • 171g 1st Run orange -seasoned to hold just about every line.
  • 172g Bottom stamp - beefy for headwinds and big hyzers

Q-Scorpius x2
  • 168g blue for big hyzer flips and turnovers
  • 170g red same thing, big flips, but a bit more stable

So I dropped the destroyers. My Q-Scorpius turn better on the points I want. The Q are noticeably flatter than all runs of the S-Scorpius. They are both seasoned in for last years Players Cup, so I am much more comfortable throwing these over S/DS. The S-Scorpius get thrown more because of the grip and dome. The seasoned orange one is my main Scorpius driver. The other orange one is basically going to replace it in time, but I need to start getting comfortable with it now. I can make the 171g hold any type of hyzer or flip I need, and still trust it into headwinds. The Bottom stamp is just a pure joy to throw for long long long hyzers. It has a crazy high dome and PLH, plus the plastic is soft and pliable. Really similar to the bottom stamp destroyers
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby PMantle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:33 am

When new, what is the difference in flight of the Scorpi from S to Q? I've only thrown the Q.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby zj1002 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:06 am

The S-Scorpius has more dome and a higher parting line. It handles torque better and takes longer to season in. The Q starts out pretty straight for me, with less LSS, so after a month or so in Texas it starts a turning.
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby BLURR » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:12 am

When I was down at the GBO this past weekend, I dunked my Nuke OS and needed a good gale force wind type of driver. I snagged a couple of the bottom stamped S-Scorpi and didn't regret it for a single throw. Worked wonders for backhand and sidearm shots. I could throw it into any headwind with no worries of it flipping over on me. I highly recommend the BS Scorpius for anybody needing a beefcake distance driver that doesn't just dump out of the air.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby PMantle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:14 am

Thanks. Looks like I need to stick with Q at this point. I bought it not knowing what it was, and after reading reviews was shocked I could actually throw it.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby zj1002 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:19 am

BLURR

I really enjoy how stable the BS Scorpius is, while still retaining tons of glide and speed. Most discs this stable dump out early, or resist speed. These just boom, and don't look back.
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby JR » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:32 am

zj1002 wrote:BLURR

I really enjoy how stable the BS Scorpius is, while still retaining tons of glide and speed. Most discs this stable dump out early, or resist speed. These just boom, and don't look back.

Have you tried Prodigy? The D1 FR 167 i have is seriously overkill for me and the D4 flips controllably and just keeps on going netting me my first 430'+ shot in below freezing temps. I don't recall exactly how much more that is than my previous record but likely 37'+. IIRC my lowest previous temp that i got a 400' throw in was around 40-45F. That 437' with the D4 came in 29F.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby zj1002 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:54 am

I have thrown prodigy

Not overly impressed with any of the driver models. The D1 had NO glide. The D4 was not predictable. The D2 and D3 despite subtle differences, basically offered the same flight. Color me not impressed.

Kinda already stuck on millennium anyways
zj1002
metroid cannon

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion