Bag for the slow

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Bag for the slow

Postby slowarm » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:36 pm

I just realized my minimalist bag is almost old school.

S Wizard (beaten)
Ch Rhyno

Z-Comet (or beaten S-MD2, depending on what colour I like more on game day)
Z-Buzzz

DX Gazelle
St TB (beaten, understable)
Ch Eagle-X
Ch Valkyrie
C-PD (1st run, dead straight and a lot of fade in the end)

This is the set I've a had a lot of success this year. Haven't played a lot this year, but my scores on the local courses look a lot better than last year. Also, I can finally throw 105-110m with ease. And hell yeah, my putting accuracy is pretty good nowadays. Playing less, getting better results - weird. I do occasionally carry other discs in the bag, but I really don't need anything else than what's above.

The only thing I'm not satisfied with is the DX Gazelle. I fell in love with Gazelle last Fall and now I think it's my best disc, but damn it's DX and given some tree love it's gone. Hate to buy a new one every other day... Some suggest here at the forum that a Cyclone would be close to Gazelle, but the two I have tested aren't even close. Also checked the Star Gazelle, but it was a completely different disc with a decent dome.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby Flipflat » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:53 pm

For that slot, do you really need a DX Gazelle? I mean you got the beaten star teebird, and you could prob stretch out the z comet/beat md2.

Also, have you tried a blizzard boss? They bomb pretty good, I've let a few guys in my power range (300-330ft) use mine and they love it for long distance with predictable fade.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby slowarm » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:00 am

Flipflat wrote:For that slot, do you really need a DX Gazelle? I mean you got the beaten star teebird, and you could prob stretch out the z comet/beat md2.

Yes and no. That's why I keep carrying my old Star TB with me, but it just isn't the same. It's probably a mental thing. After my Gazelle in use is unusable I go back to Teebirds. I must have a form issue, because I can't throw my mids as long as Gazelles/TBs (should I?). I can throw (calm, golf lines, not pushing for max distance) mids to 80-85m, fairway drivers to 100-105m and speed 9-11 drivers to 105-110m. So there's a gap between my mids and fairways. Well, Gazelle is easy to power down, for one reason to carry it.

I'm not very fond of the wide rim of the Bosses and others of that kind. But yes, they are very long for my power range. I have a Bliz Teedevil that I have tossed over 120m (tailwind), one of my longest discs. Anyway, I rather stay on fairway :)
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:25 am

That mid to FW gap is not long so no biggie IMO. If it bothers you there are longer mids that are pretty close to FWs like Stalker, Squall, Coyote, Warship, Axis at least. Powering down is a useful skill.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby slowarm » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:02 am

Warship felt good, sneaky long too. The one I tried was not able to fight any wind. Are they all the same or did I have a understable one? Nothing wrong with the Coyote, but I can't get it any longer than a Comet or MD2. Could give Stalker a try.

By the way, seems like I added some 'internet distance' to my mid-range throws. I'm able to throw them 80-85m if I get a good throw (that's about maxing them out), a controlled easy shot is more like 70-75m.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:16 am

Warships are not great in the wind at all if it is not a rear wind. It is interesting that you cannot get the Coyote farther than the MD2 because for me the difference is large around 10 meters in max distance and close to that on average. Comet is a long disc that does challenge the Coyote. I toss the Coyote farther than the Warship. Stalker is faster glides less and is longer if you've got the power. not sure at all if you have enough but it should at least be on par at your power with more wind handling.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby slowarm » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:38 am

You have to understand that my SMD2 is flat and beaten = long, virtually no fade. If I try to add some power it will turn and burn. But with a smooth throw it just goes that 80m dead straight. It's a totally different disc than a usual C-MD2.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Postby slowarm » Sat May 03, 2014 3:46 am

Some changes, not that I really needed to do them, just wanted to switch some discs. Happy to see that I was able to squeeze it down to 10 discs. (I suppose I could do just fine with a Wizard, a Comet and two Teebirds).

Organic Wizard (beaten)
Soft Wizard (newish)

Z-Comet
Champ Gazelle

Star Teebird (seriously beaten)
Champ Teebird (newish)
S-PD
Star Firebird
Tournament Sword (understable)
Gold Line Sword

Sometimes I feel the Champion Teebird and S-PD overlap, but if I drop out either of them, I always miss it on the course.

Maxing out about 110m in calm conditions, controlled distance is somewhere at 95-100m. Recently been concentrating on forearm, and it's just a couple of meters shorter than my backhand.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Mon May 05, 2014 2:48 pm

slowarm wrote:Some changes, not that I really needed to do them, just wanted to switch some discs. Happy to see that I was able to squeeze it down to 10 discs. (I suppose I could do just fine with a Wizard, a Comet and two Teebirds).

Organic Wizard (beaten)
Soft Wizard (newish)

Z-Comet
Champ Gazelle

Star Teebird (seriously beaten)
Champ Teebird (newish)
S-PD
Star Firebird
Tournament Sword (understable)
Gold Line Sword

Sometimes I feel the Champion Teebird and S-PD overlap, but if I drop out either of them, I always miss it on the course.

Maxing out about 110m in calm conditions, controlled distance is somewhere at 95-100m. Recently been concentrating on forearm, and it's just a couple of meters shorter than my backhand.

Sweet man. It seems as though you are on the right path.

You know if you feel sometimes the PD and the Teebird overlap each other then It's time to really take a look at them both for the holes you need them for. Say you normally throw the PD on a certain hole,but in the back of your head you think the Teebird would do just as well. This is when you take both discs and try em out for the same shot. it eliminates that nagging "I should have thrown the other one instead of this one on this hole" voice in your head. :thumbup:

This is what I did to eliminate stuff that wasn't needed in the bag. I always revisit stuff everynow and then just to see if anything has changed with my game.
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Previous

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion