Roottori's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Roottori's Bag

Postby JR » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:45 pm

From the looks in the yard we got about 30 cm of snow in one day and the wind was baaad.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Roottori » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:52 am

I figured since it's winter and there's no possibility to play any serious disc golf, it would be good time to give a whirl to some new plastic.

Are there any other mids than Roc that could handle all of my midrange shots in various stages of wear? I'm really getting tired of Innova and what they are doing with their molds. Wherever I go to look for some new Rocs, all I can find is poppy-top domey Rocs that are made of that craptastic soft blend of DX. They also have slanted rims which I don't like. So, are there any? I could use two molds, if there isn't just one mold that could do everything. I have my eye on Buzzzes, Midaris, MVP mids and Ghosts, so basically anything Innova hasn't put its dirty hands on.

Any feedback on these?
Roottori
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JR » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:40 pm

I haven't thrown Ghosts but there are so many different stabilities you can get from Buzzes in different plastics when new let alone broken in that you should be golden with them.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Roottori » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:52 pm

Cool, thanks for your input JR! I guess I could start with Z for stable/overstable, X that would start breaking in to fill the turnover slot and D for understable until I beat X enough. Does that sound like a plan?
Roottori
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:27 am

Perhaps not exactly and here having different power makes estimation difficult. So i'd start with just one to see how it flies for you. Naturally there are variations in shape thus stability of discs within the same plastic. At your power the Z is likely pretty hard fading with any height so it should fill your description in any other case but stiff headwinds. At my power the X flips when new but it might be the straightest Buzz for the longest time at your power and if it ain't it will still be a grippy disc albeit not quite as much as the FLX. So the question that is most relevant now is probably do you throw now and how much power you lose and how quickly do you want the disc to become the best for you sand just what stability is that? Those considerations decide whether the best option is the X, FLX or the Z. Z is slick, FLX is floppy and X is in between but on the firmer side with fairly good winter grip.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Roottori » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:46 am

Well yeah, I guess that makes sense. I think I´ll start with one X and maybe one Z, and build it up from there if needed.
Roottori
Noob

Postby badfinger » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:12 pm

Roottori wrote:I figured since it's winter and there's no possibility to play any serious disc golf, it would be good time to give a whirl to some new plastic.

Are there any other mids than Roc that could handle all of my midrange shots in various stages of wear? I'm really getting tired of Innova and what they are doing with their molds. Wherever I go to look for some new Rocs, all I can find is poppy-top domey Rocs that are made of that craptastic soft blend of DX. They also have slanted rims which I don't like. So, are there any? I could use two molds, if there isn't just one mold that could do everything. I have my eye on Buzzzes, Midaris, MVP mids and Ghosts, so basically anything Innova hasn't put its dirty hands on.

Any feedback on these?

I have recently begun playing with Lat64 Pain molds quite often. Not sure if it would feel right in your hand, but there is only one way to find out.
badfinger
Noob

Favorite Disc: CE Eagle

Postby Roottori » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:44 am

Thank you for your suggestion, badfinger. Unfortunately Latitude´s lack of base/midline plastic pushes me away from their discs though, so I think I´ll leave Pain on the store shelves. If Latitude came up with Pro/X/whatever kind of plastic, their discs would be much more appealing to me.
Roottori
Noob

Postby Roottori » Fri May 24, 2013 1:57 pm

A quick update here. This is what my bag looks like at the moment.

2x G9i Wizard 175g - putting
Soft Wizard 175g - upshots and drives

X Comet 180g - understable
ESP Comet 180g - straight
Z Comet 180g - straight to overstable
KC Roc 180g - Overstable

2x DX Eagle-X 175g - beat, understable
2x DX Eagle-X 175g - slightly seasoned, quite straight
2x Champion Eagle X 175g - overstable
2x Z Predator 175g - meathook
Pro Beast 169g - understable
Pro Beast 175g - slightly understable
Champion Beast 175g - overstablish

Wizards are fine (I just need more Softs for throwing, I'll save my firms for putting) and Comets are great! Eagle is the workhorse of my bag, I really throw one beat, one straight and one overstable but I want to have backup if I happen to lose one. The same goes for Predator. Beasts are okey, but I still don't really like them. :P I find them little bit squirrely and unpredictable, probably due to the lack of fade. So I usually just grab an Eagle and let it do its thing.

I just don't know what kind of distance driver I should use. OLF's or PD's would be in the speed range I'm comfortable with, but I feel like they would overlap too much with my Eagles. And when I go up the speed scale to Wraiths and Destroyers, well, I don't throw far enough to make them work and I can't get a good grip of their wide rims. Maybe I'll just be old school and throw nothing but Comets and Eagles, I don't know.
Roottori
Noob

Postby JR » Mon May 27, 2013 10:57 am

SOLF 1.1 is nice and a heavyish 170-172 S PD might be just fine. But how far do you throw the Beast now that it acts a little squirrely? It is ok for a Beast to flip in the wind at 400' but in calm weather a flip should develop at 410' and more.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Roottori » Mon May 27, 2013 1:09 pm

I'm nowhere near that kind of distance, more like 350' on flat ground and golf lines, 360' at best. Both of my Pro Beasts turn at that distance and I wouldn't call them beat. Seasoned maybe but not beat. I believe I have quite clean form because I can throw newish X Comet up to 300' without turning it. So maybe I've just got lemons or I don't know what beat means.
Roottori
Noob

Postby JR » Tue May 28, 2013 6:28 am

Maybe you need to use the Champ Beast more. Or your form might have some issues or you are seeing the effects of changing winds.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Roottori » Tue May 28, 2013 11:29 am

Yeah, I probably should do that. I'll see if I could find a good, domey Beast with high-ish PLH and see what happens.
Roottori
Noob

Postby Roottori » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:56 pm

A quick update here. I dropped Beasts and I've been playing with only Eagles and Preds, so far it's worked pretty well. I also dropped Champion Eagles from my bag, because mostly when I reach for an Eagle I don't want that harsh of a fade, if I need something overstable I go with a Pred. One Champion Eagle-L is getting a test run, so far I've been liking it quite a bit for straighter shots, because it doesn't turn like my beat Eagles but it doesn't fade as hard as new Eagles. As for midranges, it's Comets only for now, I haven't really had a feeling that I needed something more overstable. I also picked up a QOLS from a local retailer and it's getting a few throws here and there, let's see if I end up liking it or not.

2x Firm Wizard 173g, putts and back-up
Firm Wizard 175g, straight-ish
Chalky Soft Wizard 175g, overstable

X Comet 180g, beating this one up for understable stuff
LE ESP Comet 180g, straight
ESP Comet 180g, overstable-ish-kind-of-for-comet-at-least

3x DX Eagle-X 175g, beat, seasoned and new
Champion Eagle-L 171g, straight
2x Z Predator 173g, a new one and a slightly seasoned one
QOLS 175g, testing this one for distance

Unfortunately I lost my beautifully beat soft Wizard just when it was starting to develop some high speed turn. :( But today I scored my first ace ever with my firm Wizard, 230' tunnel shot, slight downhill, it was cool. So I think we got our relationship off to a good start. :mrgreen: But now I need another understable putter, sigh. And beating up those Wizards will probably take a loooong time, so... Any good out-of-the-box understable putters out there to use as a substitute while I'm beating up my Wizards? Magic, Summit?
Roottori
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 am

Warlock and grats on the ace. Qols is not that long and shorter than jls and faster discs. Blizzards maybe a 13x wraith could work to give more distance.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion