Should I simplify my bag?

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby smartalex17 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:37 pm

Hey I am new here to the forum and have been playing disc golf for 6 months or so. I wanted to get some advice from more experienced players about my bag. I went through a period when I was doing great. I almost always finished a round at least par or better. Then I started becoming a bit of a disc junkie and my bag started growing quite a bit and I have started becoming less consistent with my game. My question for you is should I simplify my bag and throw mostly the same molds in different stages of wear, or am i just having having an off period? Here is a list of what I have in my bag. I am looking forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks

PUTTERS
Wizard-2 for putting and 1 for upshots
Dart-long putts and anhyzer putts

MIDRANGE
FLX Buzzz
Z Buzzz SS
Element
San Marino star roc
Z Wasp
Star Mako

DRIVERS
DX Destroyer
Pro Destroyer
Star Archon
Star TL
DX Archangel
Champ Firebird
Champ Leopard
Champ Beast
Z Avenger SS
smartalex17
Noob

Favorite Disc: LEOPARD

Re: Should I simplify my bag?

Postby JR » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:17 am

You sure have overlap in there so i'd try rounds with a maximum of two discs per category to see if you're missing out and if you are take a disc that you missed the most last time to see if you can find your preferences. You have good discs that don't necessarily need any more options at this point in your career.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:40 am

Agreed with JR. And we need to know how far you are throwing. I'll assume you are RHBH and working on the 300' barrier (that's where I was at 6 months in).

Your putters look good. Start using your Wizard (or even Dart) for drives under 250' and see what happens. Driving with putters is a great way to improve your game (though not the best way to start that process)

For mids, my opinion is to keep the Buzzz and Buzzz SS and learn how they differ in flight, as well as learn them on every line.

For drivers, how far are you throwing? If you have yet to reach 300', stick with the Archangel, and TL (and maybe the Leopard, but Champ Leo's are usually really stable and might be the same as a TL for you right now). If you can throw past 300' but have yet to reach past 350', add the Beast or Avenger SS (whichever one you like better). After that, go throw them in the field and find one that will always finish left (fades a lot), one that finishes in front of you (turns and fades), and one that finishes right (turns and barely fades). And then start throwing overhand shots with your Firebird.

Side note - I would ditch the DX Destroyer and wait on the Pro Destroyer (great disc!) until you can consistently reach past 350 with a Beast or Avenger SS.

After that, report back with distances and things you noticed that were good/bad/ugly.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby smartalex17 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:29 am

Yes I am sorry I forgot to mention that before. I am RHBH and I also throw some RHFH. I have just recently started throwing both my Archon and Destroyer consistently between 375'-400' and most all my fairways 300' if not a little more. I am going out today and I am only going to take a couple drivers and mids. I will post my findings. Thanks!
smartalex17
Noob

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:41 am

Oh well if that's the case, here's what I would do with what you have in your bag (find what works for you, this is just a suggestion)

Wizard - putts, shorter drives
Dart - upshots, long putts, drives
Buzzz's - all midrange duties (regular and SS)
Champ Firebird - utility shots (do you have a new flat one?)
Champ Leo - straight fairway shots
TL - fairway shots with more fade than Leo (I would upgrade to a Teebird once this starts to look too similar to a Leopard)
Archon or Beast or Avenger SS - Pick which one fades less (probably Beast) for long turnovers and tailwind shots
Pro Destroyer - Max D

And from there you could probably add/change according to what you need. Another good indicator of what you need in your bag is to think of finding a discs that will finish right/straight/left on every range of power (putter - mid - fairway - distance).
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:42 am

By the way, I see you are in Greenville. Have you gown down to Clemson/Central to play Grand Central Station?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby smartalex17 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:26 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:By the way, I see you are in Greenville. Have you gown down to Clemson/Central to play Grand Central Station?

No not yet. I am really wanting to but haven't made it out. I have heard that it is a great course!
smartalex17
Noob

Postby smartalex17 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:16 am

Okay, so here is the set up I'm going to try out for a while. I think it should be a ton better then before with a lot less overlap. let me know what you think.

putters:

2 Wizards (one for main putter and on for drives)
DX Dart (up shots)

Mid-Range:
FLX Buzzz (straight shots with a little fade)
Z Wasp (more overstable)
Star Mako (very beat for dead straight shots and quick turnovers)

Drivers:
Champ Leopard (control, straight shots)
Star TL (a little more stable than leopard)
Z Avenger SS (long turnovers)
Pro Destroyer (max distance)
Champ Flat Top Firebird (shots that have to go hard left)
smartalex17
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:01 am

If grip ain't an issue with the Wizards maybe the Dart could be removed. I haven't thrown a Z ASS only FLX and frankly there might be overlap with the Leo. Too much? Is up to you to decide because Leos can be thrown pretty far right too and the TL too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:06 am

Yeah I would think eventually you could stick with the Leopard and change out the TL for a Teebird.

And do you need a more stable compliment to your Pro Destroyer?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby smartalex17 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:14 pm

yeah that it what I was planing on is to switch the TL for a Teebird very soon. For something more overstable than the destroyer what would you recommend? I was thinking maybe champ glo destroyer or maybe a xcaliber.
smartalex17
Noob

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:23 pm

Or an S PD2
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:07 am

Not a bad suggestion at all.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby keltik » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:11 am

what courses are you usually playing? Timmons and Century don't require much more than the Leopard distance wise and that is only for maybe 2-3 holes per course. the rest can be done with a putter (especially Century). Foothills/Easley is short save for a few holes on the back 9. Va-Du-Mar is long but I haven't played the redesign.

Your revised bag looks god.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:37 am

Way off topic - are there any planned get-togethers for people in NC and SC? Figured I would ask since there's three of us on this one thread that live within 2-3 hours of each other.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion