My Bag any help appreciated

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My Bag any help appreciated

Postby TheDrake » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:40 pm

Hello everyone. I feel like my bag isn’t settled yet and I was hoping to get some expert advice on changes to my bag. A little background on me as a player.

I started disc golf about 5 years ago. Loved the game but went about starting the wrong way. I bought waaay to many heavy high speed discs not knowing that it takes a lot of time and experience to be able to throw those right. I did manage to pick up a teebird in that order which turns out to be my most reliable mold. I am a RHBH player that sprinkles in some overhand. Max distance on any given day is around 300-325ft. With all that being said here is my disc golf bag for criticism.

My Disc golf bag

Drivers:
167g –Destroyer-Star Plastic (This is my oldest (5 years) Driver. Fairly beat in, hard to flip and what I use for max distance with guarantee fade left. Wish I could buy 5 more of these)
170g –Destroyer-Star Plastic (Brand new and I hate it, cant throw it without it being a giant meat hook. Plastic feels firmer and less gummy than my other destroyer)
167g –Destroyer-Pro Plastic(Used to be my primary driver until it got beat in too much and flips too easily. Rarely throw anymore)
171g –Destroyer-Pro Plastic (Replacement for above disc, almost new and fades left too hard for my taste.)
172g –Firebird-Star Plastic (fairly new.Only used for forhand shots which I am not any good at. Heavy wind. Thinking about replacing it with a flick)
175g.-Boss-Star Plastic (both bosses are only used for Hyzer spikes and hard left turns)
175g –Boss-Star Plastic

Fairway Drivers:
167g -Teebird-Star Plastic (fairly beat in. Primary all around driver. What I throw 60-70% of the time.)
150g.-Teebird-Star Plastic (Same as above but for anhyzer shots)
170g –TL-Star Plastic (Throw it occasionally. Not really sure where it fits into my bag yet. Brand new)
178g.-Zombee-Z Plastic (Another disk I am trying out. Actually like it because it has no fade and will hold just about any line I give it. This is the disc I throw when I want to throw medium lasers)
165g –Leopard-Pro Plastic (Pretty beat, this is my full time anhyzer disc. Throw it straight and it curves right every time)
169g –Leopard Pro Plastic (Brand new. This is the disc I bought to backup my other leopard in case it gets lost. A much harder time bending it right.)

MidRange:
175g –Mako3-Camp Plastic (Love this disc. For when the putter isn’t long enough and the driver is overkill. Ultra straight with slight fade)

Specialty Disk:
170g –Starfire-Champ Plastic (I only throw this disc for overhand shots. Probably about 2-3 times a round. Used to throw the firebird overhand but this one is by far better for me)

Putter:
2x 170g –Challenger-FLX Plastic (Pretty straight for the most part. Cant complain much here)

I play DG in the north bay of California and most courses are fairly technical that I goto. Not a lot of opportunity to throw the big s curve shot.
Last edited by TheDrake on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheDrake
Noob

Favorite Disc: TeeBird

Re: My Bag any help appreciated

Postby discmonkey42 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Just based on a quick look, if you play mostly technical courses, I see too many drivers and not enough mids. I'd find a mid that you can cycle or a set that compliments each other from stable/overstable to straight to under stable. Lots of choices here, but on technical courses, these are the discs that put you in position to score. If you are maxing out at 350-400, I'd try to get deadly accurate our to about 280-320 with mids you are confident with.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby JR » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:03 am

Some overlap in fairway drivers and the Destro is a hard fading disc with limited powering down ability to your distances so i would try a Pro Beast in mid 160s to get similar distances with a straighter flight especially in the end of the flight. It is much more controllable and does not require a full power rip.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby TheDrake » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:18 am

Thanks guys, I will pick up a pro beast and give it a shot. I also will try to find a good understable and overstable mid range to compliment the Mako3 I have. Any suggestions on good places to start for the mids?
TheDrake
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:35 am

Which plastic is your preference for mids and is it grippy enough in the rain and winter? The answer to that determines which us and os mids fit you. I have not thrown the Mako3 only the original ones but if it is more hss than the original like is the case with the Shark3 then a Coyote might be understable enough but i cannot guarantee it not knowing your power given the 50' variation you gave for max distance. 350' driver distance should still be good enough for the Coyote to make it turn. Overstable has many options and just right fade depends on what you want and need in the wind conditions and hole shapes you're facing. Total meathook or just beefy? Bead or not? Tall or slim?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby SSquirrel » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:11 pm

Buzz or Comet are always solid mid options.
Cycle Rocs to cover everything.
Flying Squirrel or Stingray for more US options.
Drone, Zone or Gator for OS mid.

That doesn't even branch out too far into different companies, there are tons of options out there
SSquirrel
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby TheDrake » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:40 am

This is the latest order i just made because I got a Christmas bonus at work and merry Christmas to me :)

The Beast I got mainly cause of the suggestion here.
The Roc3 looks like it would be a good stable compliment to the Mako3
The Flick mainly cause I threw a friends and I liked how it felt for forehand shots
The rest mainly cause i wanted to try them out and i liked the flight characteristics (on paper at least).

A copy and paste from the order invoice below:

Beast (Pro, Standard, 167, Red)
Roc3 (Champion, Paul McBeth 2012 World Champion, 175, Red)
Flick (Z-Line, Standard, 173, Salmon)
Nuke SS (Titanium, Standard, 173, Purple)
Stalker (Z-Line, Standard, 168, Pink)
Orion LS (Sirius, Standard, 167, Purple)

PS: Upon further review and actual measuring I would say that my max distance is about 325'. Give or take a few feet. I have thrown 400' although its rare.
TheDrake
Noob

Postby Timko » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:10 pm

Of the ones on that list, I think the Orion LS will be really good for you in terms of countability vs. distance. They are fantastically underrated discs.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:30 am

I second that. I'd be surprised if you didn't end up really liking the LS. At your distance it will probably flip up to flat and go straight relatively easily for you. With a little nose down and thrown flat, it's got a very controllable turn. The Beast should also be a positive experience for you. Nothin like a stack of new discs for Christmas, have fun!
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion