Eli's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Eli's Bag

Postby ELItheICEman » Thu May 15, 2014 12:43 pm

For reference, I'm around the 250-300 mark with mids, and maybe up to 300-350 with fairway drivers now.

Putters/Approach - max weight
KC Pro Aviar for all putting during normal season
JK Pro Aviar-X for the colder days/months

Mids - max weight
DX Roc for dead-straight/hyzer-flip when beaten up enough
KC Pro Roc for straight/mild fade when beaten in a bit more
C-Roc3 is for predictable/headwind shots, still fades as hard as new
Z Buzzz for mild S-curve mids or holding a sweeping hyzer/anhyzer
S-Stingray for a big hyzer-flip or turnover shot

Fairway Drivers/Utility Discs (160-class)
S-Leopard for straight shots
DX Leopard for big hyzer-flip straight/turnover shots
S-TL for straight, no-fade shots
DX Eagle for a straight but reliable headwind driver (maybe not so much anymore)
2x Mantis (ace race discs) for a nice, reliable fade or sweeping hyzers

Distance Drivers (160-class)
C-Beast for straight distance lines
S-Roadrunner for hyzer-flip or turnover distance lines
S-Firebird for hyzer-flip straight shots (pretty beat up)
C-PD for headwinds and sweeping hyzers

This is my third season playing, and I've been working on Blake's "secret technique" with hopes that I can continue to take the muscle out of my throws. I'm already noticing that I most often reach for the S-leopard, Roc3, KC Aviar and S-RR for 99% of my throws, so most of the bag is pretty much dead weight for now.

Any thoughts on what I may be missing, or what I could do with/without? I have a ton more plastic in the trunk of my car, always ready for some action :D
ELItheICEman
Noob

Re: Eli's Bag

Postby JTdisc » Thu May 15, 2014 3:40 pm

You're not missing anything that I can see.

You didn't mention which discs you use for rollers, but you have lots of options that would be good. Just a reminder that a roller can be a very useful shot and don't be afraid to use it when needed. I like carrying dedicated roller discs so I don't overly beat in my good throwers.

You seem to have some overlap in the mids and fairways.

C-Roc3 is your OS mid. Straightish mid looks like KC Pro Roc or Z Buzzz - might not need both. US mid Stingray or beat DX Roc - again may only need one of these.

S and DX Leopard probably overlap quite a bit (and you have Roadrunners as well). TL and Eagle should cover most of your fairway shots. The mantis seems entirely redundant given TLs and Leopards.

I'm not a fan of DX. Maybe it's time to upgrade that Eagle to champion/star or get a champ/star Teebird for more reliable headwind shots.

Distance drivers look like a nice mix.

This is just a quick look, only you know how each disc flies so throw what works best for you.
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sat May 17, 2014 12:07 pm

ELItheICEman wrote:For reference, I'm around the 250-300 mark with mids, and maybe up to 300-350 with fairway drivers now.

Putters/Approach - max weight
KC Pro Aviar for all putting during normal season
JK Pro Aviar-X for the colder days/months
(Discraft ESP Zone or Dynamic Discs Suspect - Both discs are great Tweeners and you wouldn't believe how many times this type of putter has shaved strokes off my card.It pays to have a overstable putter in the bag.I prefer the Suspect as it feels better in the hand

Mids - max weight
DX Roc for dead-straight/hyzer-flip when beaten up enough(use this when beaten in more for turnovers and rollers)
KC Pro Roc for straight/mild fade when beaten in a bit more(awesome disc,maybe get 1 more for that newish spot in the bag for more fading shots)
C-Roc3 is for predictable/headwind shots, still fades as hard as new

Fairway Drivers/Utility Discs (160-class)
S-Leopard for straight shots
DX Leopard for big hyzer-flip straight/turnover shots
DX Eagle for a straight but reliable headwind driver (maybe not so much anymore) (Use this for those straight with minimal fade shots that the Mantis was for,might need to get a fresh one to work in how you like it)
(Champion or Star Eagle - For Headwind Drives and really reliable fading shots when worn,I prefer Star)

Distance Drivers (160-class)
C-Beast for straight distance lines
S-Roadrunner for hyzer-flip or turnover distance lines
(P-PD for headwinds that will perform like your Beast when it's calm out,Beast and PD is a good 1 2 combo. You got beast for Tailwinds and PD for headwinds,works good in my book)
C-PD for headwinds and sweeping hyzers

This is my third season playing, and I've been working on Blake's "secret technique" with hopes that I can continue to take the muscle out of my throws. I'm already noticing that I most often reach for the S-leopard, Roc3, KC Aviar and S-RR for 99% of my throws, so most of the bag is pretty much dead weight for now.

Any thoughts on what I may be missing, or what I could do with/without? I have a ton more plastic in the trunk of my car, always ready for some action :D

Everything in Bold is just my thoughts on being able to familiarize yourself a little better with your molds and figuring out how they fly in different stages of wear. I like this method as it makes your game much more consistent. It takes the guesswork out of what you think you should throw into knowing what you are going to throw.

If you need anymore help with this. I'm usually on here everyday and some others are too and we will be glad to help. :D
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby ELItheICEman » Tue May 20, 2014 10:16 am

Thanks for the feedback. I usually just throw the stingray or RR for my rollers, but with how soft the ground is and how long the grass is, I don't find many good opportunities to throw rollers anyway.

Surprisingly, the two leopards do not overlap too much. Neither has much fade, as expected; however the DX will flip up and turn over a lot more readily than the star leo. I haven't gotten the hang of throwing big hyzer-flips with it yet, but that will come with practice. I do like both of them quite a bit.

As for the eagle, same story - I do have a champ eagle-X that I haven't carried in a long while since it's so incredibly overstable. I bought it when I lost my previous one, which was beat in to perfection; so I was disappointed when the new one wasn't the same. But I think the DX eagle is fitting the bill for the one I lost. I'll try the star eagle again on a windy day and see what I think now.

I've read the raves on the P-PD, but I guess I've just never felt the need to have one thus far. My C-PD is a pure overstable driver with zero turn to it, and I have an old beat-up champion firebird that has a little turn to it now. I forgot to mention that disc in my OP I guess. Both still have a lot of fade to them, which is mostly what they get used for, so I'm not sure having a P-PD is a high priority for me right now. I'll keep it in mind for the future though.

I think any new plastic I end up with will be either DX or G-Star, as I like how DX flies and I LOVE the feel of the new G-Star plastic.
ELItheICEman
Noob

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion