Mama's got a new bag.. but now what?

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Mama's got a new bag.. but now what?

Postby GypsyKowgirl » Sat May 31, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi all seasoned players! My background is that I used to play a while ago.. okay.. more like I haven't played in about 13 years, motherhood and whatnot kind of took over, but now the girls are old enough to trek through the woods with me and perhaps throw their own discs for fun. I came across what I thought was a really good deal on a bunch of discs and could use some insight on what I should throw and practice with for now and what I should just put away for awhile. When I was playing I played on some really challenging courses in St. Paul MN and now I live out in the boonies and the few courses around here seem very tame in comparison.. good thing. Anyway, here is the list of my discs and if anyone could chime in on how I should proceed, I would greatly appreciate it! :D

Drivers:
Sidewinder (haven't weighed it yet)
Pro Wraith (new-171)
Pro Wraith (new-175)
Pro Starfire (new-166)
Pro Starfire (new-169)
Pro Starfire (new-175)
Champion Valkyrie (haven't weighed this one yet either)
Destroyer (12 5 -1 3)
Star Katana (13 5 -3 3)

Mid:
DGA Shockwave First Flight (haven't weighed this one)
Roc
Tee Bird (7 5 0 2)
Star Stingray

I need to pick up a couple of putters but so far this is what I have to work with and am really looking forward to getting back into this sport! Thanks in advance!!
GypsyKowgirl
Noob

Favorite Disc: Don't know yet.

Re: Mama's got a new bag.. but now what?

Postby JR » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:00 am

Welcome here and back to the sport.

The Teebird is a driver and i would use the mids it, Sidewinder and Valkyrie mainly. Maybe the Starfire for headwinds. Unless you are unusually good not suffering from the break in the sport and having good technique and power. How far do you throw? That makes a huge impact on the proper disc selection. How bigis your hand and do you pitch putt or throw lasers? That determines which kind of putter suits you best.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JTdisc » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:03 am

Start off practicing driving with your putters, the Shockwave, Roc, and the Stingray. Use these to help you get your form back and get the feel for the various throws - flat, hyzer, anhyzer etc.

Once you're back in the groove, work up to the Teebird. This should be one of your most thrown discs for most of your disc golfing career. Use it as your distance driver initially then as your Fairway driver.

The Valkyrie and Sidewinder will be good for tailwinds or shots you need to turn.

Down the road you'll probably use the Starfire for headwinds and long distance drives, but don't jump into it until you can reliably throw the Starfire further than your Teebirds (and mids).

Wraiths, Destroyer and Katana are for way down the road when you're throwing 400'.

Disc recommendations: Pick up two of the same putter (consistency is key). You could also try an Innova Leopard as a good first driver. It's understable and would compliment the slightly overstable Teebird very well.

Overall you've got a good selection of mids and a some nice fairway drivers. Keep the distance drivers at home for a while. Happy discing!
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Postby GypsyKowgirl » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:12 am

Thank you so much for the input!! I was thinking that I would hit the local football field while my daughter is in gymnastics and just throw, throw and throw some more. Youtube has been a good resource for me to "remember" how to throw and it all seems to be coming back to me but practice is most definitely needed right now. I can't wait to be able to get out onto a course and play like I used to! Thanks again!! :D
GypsyKowgirl
Noob

Favorite Disc: Don't know yet.

Postby JR » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:46 am

Hitting the practice field and getting repetitions is in the top three advice for new and returning players along with throwing the front of the disc level or lower than the rear and using putters to drive with to clean up the technique.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby what'shisname » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:14 pm

GypsyKowgirl wrote:Thank you so much for the input!! I was thinking that I would hit the local football field while my daughter is in gymnastics and just throw, throw and throw some more. Youtube has been a good resource for me to "remember" how to throw and it all seems to be coming back to me but practice is most definitely needed right now. I can't wait to be able to get out onto a course and play like I used to! Thanks again!! :D

Ha! Hitting a nearby field while my girls are at dance or figure skating is my goto for a quick fix to get the plastic in the air as a busy parent. :thumbup:

Have fun out there.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion