The Reason I Push Disc Minimalism

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Reason I Push Disc Minimalism

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:06 am

reallybadputter wrote:What about the ultra-rare LL the Leopard with a Leopard bottom? :wink:

:lol: i used to have a few but i think Further has em now
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Timko » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:43 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:
reallybadputter wrote:What about the ultra-rare LL the Leopard with a Leopard bottom? :wink:

:lol: i used to have a few but i think Further has em now

Not for long. They're going to a local golfer here.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby discspeed » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:40 pm

discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby frolfie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:20 pm

here is my bag...i'm trying to get back to minimalistic...

172g champ leopard (haven't used yet)
170g champ sidewinder
168g esp buzzz
182g dx roc (haven't used yet)
175g champ aviar

I'm trying to work on RHBH and have only been playing for about 5 months, but RHBH for only the past month. any discs or weights to reccommend? I'm trying to get to just my leopard, sidewinder, buzzz and aviar...
frolfie
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz ESP

Postby Fritz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:59 pm

frolfie wrote:here is my bag...i'm trying to get back to minimalistic...

172g champ leopard (haven't used yet)
170g champ sidewinder
168g esp buzzz
182g dx roc (haven't used yet)
175g champ aviar

I'm trying to work on RHBH and have only been playing for about 5 months, but RHBH for only the past month. any discs or weights to reccommend? I'm trying to get to just my leopard, sidewinder, buzzz and aviar...

You need a Firebird or Predator in your back for days when it's windy. Unless you live in the wind free utopia. Other than that you have a solid starter bag.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Ironhide » Sun May 01, 2011 7:30 pm

So how would you build a 'Disc Minimalism' bag? For me I really like this approach so then I don't have to try to remember what each disc does what, but I would find it hard not wanting to try different discs. :lol:
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc & Shark

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun May 01, 2011 8:13 pm

Ironhide wrote:So how would you build a 'Disc Minimalism' bag? For me I really like this approach so then I don't have to try to remember what each disc does what, but I would find it hard not wanting to try different discs. :lol:

My 2 cents: If you really want to go full into minimalism, find a stable driver and stable mid that you like and get them in at least two different plastics. As for putters, get a stable one that you like and learn how to use it on straight and turnover approach shots...use your mid when you need a really strong hyzer finish. That's only 5 discs and 3 molds.

I've done just that, but added in a few other discs.

167 P DD - Wind distance
175 C PD - Very Overstable
168 S PD - Overstable
173 S TD (stiff) - Stable Control
175 S TD (gummy) - Understable
175 S GM - Overstable Mid
178 C MD2 - Stable Mid
179 S MD2 - Neutral Mid
175 S P2 - Stable Putter (drives/approaches)
175 D P2 x4 - Putter

6 molds, 9 discs + putters. This bag works for everything I need, and nothing is truly specialized (except maybe my DD).
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby gotchermd » Mon May 09, 2011 5:01 am

Hey this post literally changed my whole approach to disc. I have recently dumped out my bag, and plan on starting over the 'right' way. The only discs I kept safe from the cull were

4 - wizards, sss, ss
3 - Champion XG Rhynos
1 - Star SL
3 - Elite Z putt'r (I know this one is dumb, chalk it up to an emotional attachment)

I am a rbh thrower, though I do flick if the hole needs it. I would like to fill a few holes in my lineup, but I really want to keep my number of molds to a minimum. Could anyone please advise on

1) Midrange - Roc maybe? - I have used a shark, coyote, and spider here previously
2) Fairway Driver - Teebird or eagle? I have used the eagle, I thought it was solid but the fade was a bit heavy, I've been thinking about switching.

Discs I culled, but could save
star vulcan
champion groove X 2
Champion Boss
Champion Destroyer
Star Valkyrie
Pro Wahoo
Opto Core
Gummy Japan Open Roc
Champion Aviar
Champion Coyote
Champion Shark (gummy)
Champion Spider
Champion XD X 2

anything else you think I could use? Should I keep anymore discs from my bag? I have used high speed drivers before (boss, groove, vulcan, destroyer), but could only outrange my SL by maybe 40 feet (with the exception of the vulcan, that thing can fly)

Thanks alot

gotchermd
gotchermd
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby curt » Mon May 09, 2011 9:44 am

So how would you build a 'Disc Minimalism' bag? For me I really like this approach so then I don't have to try to remember what each disc does what, but I would find it hard not wanting to try different discs.

Looking at your sig. Beat in some rocs, so you have 3 that fly different. Drop the leopard, get a DX teebird and use it until it is understable. Look at adding something like a firebird or predator. Then you're good.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby zeppelin47 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:35 pm

Love the theme of this thread.

Played 5 times a week for two years using two drivers, a midrange, and a putter. Now I use 8. Any more than that and my game actually goes downhill because I no longer know exactly what every disc will do.

Also find it funny I have about 10 friends that could beat 80% of bag carriers out there with just two discs.
zeppelin47
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Orc

Postby Hyzerline49 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:51 pm

the only distance driver (mold) i have in my bag is a force... i have 4 that cover all types of shots. i guess i can be proud of that for some strange reason
Forces - Orcs - Banshees - Eagles - Wasps - Rocs - Zones - Wizards
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Postby UFO » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:38 am

I am all for learning technique with basic equipment in any sport, earning better stuff after you get better. But its just so FUN to read about and throw different discs. Relatively cheap to buy a lot of variety in this sport too.

The wind is the only exception I see to having just a few discs when building technique, we had a solid month of wind here and I played with discs I thought I wouldnt grow into for years.

But wind aside, I would eventually like to be the guy strolling around on the course with two discs and showing everybody up, always been a fan of doing a lot with a little.

I always get a kick out of it when guys with huge bags, after making a bad shot, talk about if they had only brought X disc in the bag that day that wouldnt have happened etc! Like you are relying on highly trained specialized squirrels to do your dirty work, you just unleash them and watch them run the perfect line each was trained to do!
UFO
Noob

Favorite Disc: the one i lost

Postby cryshot » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:00 am

I've been playing discgolf for two and a half years now and i run one discgolf online store here in Czech Republic.. So you can imagine i have way too many discs.. When i was selling some new discs from our store, i was always telling people that they shouldn't buy too many of them, just few and really get to know them. But then they saw my bag with 16 different molds...

But thanks to this post, i found out that my own approach to discgolf discs really is wrong.. Two weeks ago, I decided to make the change.. I went to one smaller tournament (just 9 holes course, 3 rounds + finals) and won it only with my DX Aviar Putt and Approach.. I was like 'Wow', i couldn't make those lines if i had my whole bag... of course that others were throwing further but my consistency was awesome (i had 8 birdies in a row during the second round - my record)..

When i had this new impression, i took my R-pro Roc only to second small tournament (another course but same size)... I ended up second this time..

Next disc i am gonna go for is Factory store Pro TeeBird, we'll see what happens..

But this disc minimalism really works! It's awesome.. although it doesn't really work as a good advertisement for our discgolf store.. :D
cryshot
Noob

Favorite Disc: Aviar P'n'A

Postby Monocacy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:04 pm

cryshot wrote:But this disc minimalism really works! It's awesome.. although it doesn't really work as a good advertisement for our discgolf store.. :D

Your customers still need back-ups. Lots of back-ups. :wink:

I definitely play better when I have fewer discs in the bag.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Mark Ellis » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:45 am

There is a theory in sports that you need to break it down to build it up.

Maybe there is application here. When I started I tried every disc I could find. For the first few years I threw backhand because my teachers and everybody who was good threw backhand. I switched to forehand due to injury and moved to Pro. When a disc called the X-Clone came out it was clearly superior to any other disc for forehand (at least for me) and I started throwing it for everything outside of putting range (in differing degrees of broken in). My game vastly improved. I was the ultimate disc minimalist. I carried X-Clones (lots of X-Clones like 13 to 17 of them) and Magnets, nothing else.

When Candy plastic came out I switched to CE Firebirds. But candy plastic takes forever to break in. I tried to beat in Firebirds to get some to go straight or flip and continue in the minimalist way. No luck. So I had to find different molds and transitioned to CE TLs and CE Leopards. So where before I only had one driver, the X-Clone, now I expanded to 3 and stayed that way for a few years. My game continued to improve. New discs kept coming out and I continued to try them, adding them to my bag when they were effective.

I figured out how to throw a midrange forehand and added those, mostly Buzzzes and Rocs. Crushes and Flashes came out. They were great! Z Trackers came out and immediately became my anhyzers drivers. My game continued to get better to the extent I was invited to join Team Discraft. Now I could try out every mold they made in any plastic (for free! Hot Damn!) and tested lots of new discs and prototypes for them. I was exposed to a continual array of different opportunities. My bag lost all homogeneity and became an amalgam of whatever I liked best at the moment. Was there any harm from this Anti-Minimalist approach? Heck no. I won more than ever.

Perhaps there is a natural progression in disc minimalism. It may useful to start as a Minimalist as a new player until a certain degree of competence is achieved after which expanding to more molds becomes the advantage. Break it down to build it up.

This is only my experience so perhaps it has little wider application. I'm not sure. I know that when the Crank came out I had no hesitation to add it to the bag, where it has earned a beloved spot.

As an experienced player having more molds is an advantage. I learn individual discs and how to manipulate them. For example for anhyzer shots I currently carry 5 drivers. 2 are Rogues, 2 are Z Trackers. One of each is fresh and strong, the other is well worn. The last is a beat ESP Nuke. I carry 3 molds because the Nuke glides farther than a Rogue and a Rogue glides farther than a Tracker. So for short tunnels I throw Trackers. You know how hard it is to flip a disc and control it's glide! Once it flips it glides like crazy. It is just as bad to go 50' long as it is to go 50' short.

Sure I could go back to one mold if I wanted to. Why would I do that? Different molds fly differently at different speeds. I can either choose the disc best suited to the line and distance needed for a shot or I can try to force a round peg into a square hole. When you try to force a disc to do something which is unnatural for it you shrink the margin of error. Why make a shot harder than it has to be? For example you can throw a very understable disc into a screaming headwind. Good luck baby.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion