Working Stiff's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Working Stiff's Bag

Postby Working Stiff » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:46 pm

JR wrote:I'd like to see a video of you throwing to see if we could find some way for you to throw farther.
Basic athletic coordination issue: My upper body and lower body don't coordinate. It was a big problem for me in baseball growing up. The timing of when I stepped into a pitch and opened my hips was always waaayyy in front of my hands, so all the power from my lower body was wasted and I just hit little cans of corn with my arms. I was way too big and slow to be hitting singles, ended up catching because it was the only place a big slow singles hitter could play, but washed out of catching due to a weak arm that had more to do again with not being able to get my lower body into the throw and relying all on my arm. I spent more hours than any of you can imagine trying to fix that as a kid because I desperately wanted to play baseball more than anything. I never did and had to play football because it takes very little coordination to ram into somebody in front of you.

From my experience working with people on my disc golf throw, it again is an issue of being all arm/no ass. I'm not very optimistic that I'm ever going to get that particular bit of coordination worked out.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby PMantle » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:00 pm

Sounds like my golf swing. I don't use my hips much at all.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby JR » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:18 pm

JHern once put arm usage nicely by referring them to strings. The arms will whip somewhat without any arm muscle usage. How about putting a shirt on not inserting the arms in place but dropping them inside the shirt putting the hands in trouser pockets and standing still pushing forward with the left leg and back with the right in the stance you have when the plant step lands? Observing the shirt sleeves fly out differently with different leg and hip use might be interesting. To be able to push with the legs requires some bending in the knees. A straight leg cannot push at all so a straight leg cannot produce much power. The only power from a straight leg would come from moving the leg from the hip joint. That kills the power of two out of three moving joints and more muscle groups of the leg.

Jay Reading is large and played football and he still gets the discs out nicely using the legs too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Working Stiff » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:04 pm

It's been raining here for weeks, so I have not really been able to try any lower body work. It's "stand and deliver" or "fall on your ass" right now.

Football actually requires a lot of footwork which I was pretty good at in that setting. The timing was just different I guess. Not so precise. I didn’t have this “you opened your hips a ½ second too early” problem. You stepped and hit the fucker. So long as you got your head over on the correct side when you hit him, you were probably going to be OK. You could actually get the crap smacked out of you make the blocks; you really just had to get into a guy for a second on the interior line and the running back was gone. Even on a pass block all you really had to do was stop his momentum at some point and the ball should be gone. There was one game in particular I remember where the guy really beat the crap out of me, but he was slow so the ball was gone before he could shed me. There was a really big margin for error there.
Last edited by Working Stiff on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby JR » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:55 pm

I remember seeing an instructional video for newb bass players where the instructor said to play right no matter how slow it is and that the speed will come eventually. In disc golf it is a totally different thing as in football because it is finesse vs brute force. You can get surprisingly far by throwing right without power so the same go slow advice applies with the speed and muscle power usage coming later. Steady and slow is the name of the game when one changes form. You can train in front of a large mirror indoors without using a disc. I recommend also stopping in different parts of the throw with different forms to compare the timings of the different body positions. And starting from the mid throw stopped positions too to see which version generates the loosest most powerful throw from then on. That should illustrate when to use power from which body part in which order so the timing could be found that way too. I cannot guarantee anything but it helped me.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Working Stiff » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:37 pm

Just an update. X Avengers are working out very well for me; beefy enough that I don't flip them but not so overstable that they dump on me. They are becoming a workhorse disc for me this summer. I had been throwing Kraits; I got some nice distance there but I threw them all over the damn place. The Avenger is shorter and more dependable.

The EXP1 is a hoot. I've been taking dumb hyzer lines with it that are just too easy to pass up. I'll probably go back to the Banshee when the EXP1 is thrashed.

It's been Comets all summer. Rocs never made it back in the bag this spring. I've been toying around with the Mako3, which has huge overlap with the Comets. It might be another option for me, though.

I don't know why I started putting with Yeti's again, but there they are.

Distance Drivers
(1) SOLF 1.2 162g
(2) X Avengers 166ishg
(2) Echo* Roadrunner 169/165g
Stable Control Drivers
(1) Q JLS 168g
Understable Control Drivers
(2) DX Leopards 170, 175g
Overstable Driver
(1) M EXP1 170g
Mids:
(3) Z Comets, 172-177g
(1) Champ Mako3 180g
(1) DX Condor 198g
Putters:
(2) Yeti Pro Aviar, 172/175g
(1) DX XDs 175g
(1) DX Sonic 170g
(1) DX Zephyr 198g
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Working Stiff » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:55 am

I used to give lid throwers Hell back in the day, but now I'm kinda stuck on the idea. I've carried a Zephyr for several years now and I've used a Sonic for a bit, tried out a Rattler some last summer and now I've got a Lightning Upshot. I'm kinda digging the Upshot; it's a lot flippier than a Ratter but easier to back off and throw straight than a Sonic. It's got great glide with a tailwind. It's kinda an oddball choice of disc; there are several other discs I could use (beat Polecat, anyone?) for the same shots. Something about carrying a Lightning disc makes me laugh at myself a little. The plastic does suck ass, though.

I also have a Piranha mixed in there, but it doesn't fit the general use of a lid and I can't figure out what to do with it. It overlaps with a Wizard/big bead Aviar really badly for me, so I can't see carrying it.

Really I could get away without carrying any of them. In a minimalist bag I'd just beat up a putter for those shots, and using a lid for them really doesn't help my scores. Something about it just feels...fun?
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby dgdave » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:54 pm

You should stick with the upshot.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby ferretdance03 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:38 am

Working Stiff wrote:Really I could get away without carrying any of them. In a minimalist bag I'd just beat up a putter for those shots, and using a lid for them really doesn't help my scores. Something about it just feels...fun?

I keep a Sonic inside a Zephyr just for this reason. The scoring difference is probably negligible with/without the lids, but the fun of throwing them keeps them in the bag.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Working Stiff » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:18 pm

Funny; I keep whatever lid I'm throwing inside a Zephyr. I've gotten to the point where I almost never throw the Zephyr, but it still rides there in the putter pocket.

I picked up some extra Upshots; not sure if Lightning still makes discs so I figure I should stock up.

I have to update my bag here someday; all of my drivers are different now.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Working Stiff » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:16 pm

Updated bag full 'O crap:

For drivers I basically throw the DX Valks 90% the time. The Pro Valk I use for some turnovers, the Destroyers for hyzers. I throw the Pred when the wind kicks up. The Krait is a one-trick pony, but with a tailwind it bombs.

I went back to Cyclones for my control driver. It's paired up with an EXP1 for hyzers.

The mids are Rocs. I have some Brinster Sentinels on order so we shall see how that changes the bag.

I ran into an old friend on the course and traded him my Yeti's. He's been a good friend for a long time even though I never see him anymore, so trading him the putters out of my bag didn't seem like a crazy thing to do. What the fuck, I traded away my damn putters! So since I was shit out of luck I decided to try out the Magic for a bit. I've got a Ridge in there as my driving putter. The whole experiment is stupid and I should just put Wizards back in the bag. The Upshot I use for touch shots around the basket. The Condor stays for thumb rollers. I have no idea when the last time I actually threw the Zephyr was.

Distance Drivers
(1) Z Predator 169g
(2) Blizzard Destroyers
(1) Blizzard Krait
(1) Pro Valkyrie 175g
(2) DX Valkyrie 170/175g
Stable Control Drivers
(2) ESP Cyclones 168g/172g
Understable Control Drivers
(1) Pro D Cyclone 169g
Overstable Driver
(1) M EXP1 170g
Mids:
(2) DX Rocs, 175g/177g
(1) 12X KC Pro Roc 180g
(1) Q Sentinel 177g
(1) DX Condor 198g
Putters:
(2) SS Magic, 175g/175g
(1) DX XDs 175g
(1) Vibram Ridge 175g
(1) Lightning Upshot 174g
(1) DX Zephyr 198g
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:25 pm

Like the bag man. Looks like whatever comes your way you'll have it covered.

Since you are unsure about a putter,have you ever tried a Judge? Similar feel to a Wizard,but not as deep.Goes much straighter too,loves to be spin putted. I actually use a Climo Grip with my finger along the outside of the rim for my spin putts. First putter I've actually been truly successful with that grip. It just keeps my ring finger from hurting using that grip.

I really enjoy the Judge. It's been my favorite putter since I got it. This time it's not gonna be just for a little bit either. This putter will be my main putter as long as they keep making them.If they quit I'll stock up for a lifetime :lol: . I've got a 3 Classic Blends,1 Classic Soft and a Lucid Judge on the way. So yeah I really like them. :D
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:06 pm

One of the guys in our league was putting a Classic Judge last summer and he went on and on over how awesome it was. I just tuned him out since I didn't need a putter.

I still really don't need a putter. I've got stacks of Aviars and Wizards here. What I realized after I came home from that trip with no putters is that I have nine Magic around here and that I'd never really given that disc a chance. I thought I'd throw it around some and get a better idea of what it can do. Of course right away I got stuck out in a howling wind with them, so I stuck the Ridge in there to give me an option.

The Ridge is a disc I like a lot; I have a lot of success putting and driving with it in a strong wind. I might use it more if I could spin it on my finger. That bulky logo thing on the underside screws up the finger spin, and standing around waiting to putt spinning the disc on my finger is so ingrained in my routine that I don't even realize I do it until I end up with that Ridge in my hand and I can't do it. I had the same problem years ago with the 86 Softie; the nipple was on top of the disc so you didn't know where the center was. It's a really, really dumb reason not to use a putter. Still, it messes with the routine. I've mostly used the Ridge in the Winter when the winds are really bad. When it warms up, it comes out of the bag. With that kind of use, it might last forever.

The Judge would be cool to check out, though. I might try a Warden as well. You can never have too many putters.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby JR » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:16 am

Maybe you should tune in then :-D At least with the Warden if not the Judge.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:58 pm

Yeah what JR said. :D
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Previous