weird elbow problem?

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

weird elbow problem?

Postby bents » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:15 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WpKGOntCM

I was at a field having a terrible day of practice driving. Things weren't going far, and also unpredictably. At this point I had decided to focus on accuracy with about 80% effort. I was wondering what I was doing wrong so I took a crappy video.

I noticed a few things: that my knees aren't bent much, and my x-step is short. Also my torso wasn't rotating back far enough at the beginning. These are probably my way of giving 80%, but it looks ugly on video. I wonder if I should always try to keep my knees bent the same at any power? It seems like my straight legs might result in unbalance and unpredictable nose angles? Anyways I know how to fix these things, so my main question is:

THE BIG THING: What the hell is going on with my elbow? It is well below the height of the disc. On the ubersense app frame by frame, it looks like I'm offering a platter of hors deouvres. I had NO IDEA. Any recommendations on how to fix this?

Also: ubersense for iphone is great, and everyone should take a video of themselves.
Champion Teebird, Star TL, Buzzz, Wizard, Aviar
bents
Noob

Favorite Disc: champion teebird

Re: weird elbow problem?

Postby JR » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:39 am

For safety i'd raise the ball of he foot higher in the heel pivot.

With approaches the elbow should be lower than the disc and with drives things should be more equal. I'd bend the knees more.

You plant so far left that your body tilts to the right and you fall in the follow through. To make matters worse your lower torso muscles are too loose and you tilt right at the hips. Your pause is lacking partially because you don't try to stop the right leg in the plant step when the heel touches the ground. Therefore the elbow is not as forward as it could be when it starts to straighten.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby seabas22 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:39 pm

Holy crapola! Bend the hips and knees and keep your head more centered between your feet for better balance and weight transfer. You want to feel like you can move back and forth more easily/quickly, more athletic stance. You want to turn the hips and shoulder back and forth more rather than leaning your body back and forth. More hip/shoulder turn back should also help keep your upper arm/bicep away from your chest at reachback so that you can pull through the body straight down the target line. You want to whip your arm from the hips, right now its your arm leading the hips.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby bents » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:38 pm

Yeah I'm seeing all the hip and footwork problems now the you guys point them out. JR, could you clarify about trying to stop the right leg after the plant step? It seems like it's stopped once it's planted, so I don't understand. Thanks for the help.
bents
Noob

Postby seabas22 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:47 pm

Bracing your weight through the front side, foot, hip, spine, shoulder, as well as the backside. If you hop far back and forth between your feet you have to brace or you can't hop back to the other side quickly, or you might even fall over. Brace then rotate.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby JR » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:32 pm

Wording it differently once the heel strikes the ground all movements of the foot stop so the direction the foot points at does not change at all. To be able to do that you have to squeeze the leg muscles hard or you will pivot on the heel too early and the knees will buckle underneath you.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby bents » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:54 am

So today I threw a few discs at a field again, and tried fixing things. I did way better than the above video, but apparently a lot of these problems are problems I always have. Today I turned farther away during the reach back, but my bicep was still too close to my body, resulting in a circular throwing motion rather than linear.

Also I'm still planting my right foot too far left and losing balance, despite trying not to. I guess I used to think this was a good thing because it made my follow through look like Climo's, who's also tall and skinny like me. But yeah, it's unpredictable so I'm gonna work on planting more to the right.

I guess I'm not aware of my body motions well enough. I think I'm gonna have to watch my own videos a lot.
bents
Noob

Postby bents » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:54 am

So today I threw a few discs at a field again, and tried fixing things. I did way better than the above video, but apparently a lot of these problems are problems I always have. Today I turned farther away during the reach back, but my bicep was still too close to my body, resulting in a circular throwing motion rather than linear.

Also I'm still planting my right foot too far left and losing balance, despite trying not to. I guess I used to think this was a good thing because it made my follow through look like Climo's, who's also tall and skinny like me. But yeah, it's unpredictable so I'm gonna work on planting more to the right.

I guess I'm not aware of my body motions well enough. I think I'm gonna have to watch my own videos a lot.
bents
Noob

Return to Video Critique