Please critique my drive

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Please critique my drive

Postby Sopuli » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:55 am

Hi,

Long time lurker here. Finally managed to get some semi-decent video material of me driving and would appreciate any pointers.

I'm stuck at the 350ft range, controlled drives are closer to 300ft. I can almost reach the 300ft mark with my GL Fuse too, so I figure there must be something wrong with my technique.

The place where I threw this shot did not have too much safe room to throw, so this is thrown with a putter. Otherwise in my drives everything stays the same, but I tend to use more of a fork grip with my putters and midranges whereas with drivers I use a three or four finger powergrip instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7jDzRp1yro

Any advise is greatly appreciated!
Sopuli
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Ch. Valkyrie

Re: Please critique my drive

Postby JR » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:43 pm

Your chest was in the way of the disc from a hard arm early acceleration. After getting close to the right pec with the back partially facing the target you rotated the body and the disc moved in an arc. That is called rounding and it is not accurate or powerful. See a video explanation on Youtube by searching for Climo mando minute. The right foot planted facing only about 75-80 degrees away from the target and the shoulders could not move farther away from the target which shortened the reach back a lot robbing a good deal of power. It is hard to learn to stay balanced and timing things right when you plant each step up to 180 degrees away from the target back facing the target leaning back a long way. It can take months to master it and it is normal for people to loose all consistency a lot of accuracy and much distance because it is so hard to pull it off. Which is why the normal rule of starting out slow helps. Which is of course in contrast to your less than full speed leg work. After you correct the technique you can add step speed or even take run up steps. Also i'd test which works better for you getting a rip with both feet planted or the Feldy kick. You did not get the kick moving as far forward as it should to properly counter the arm moving forward. Newton's laws try googling those for an explanation why they are at work in a drive.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique