Short video from Lakewood Hills (featuring masterbeato)

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Short video from Lakewood Hills (featuring masterbeato)

Postby edrift101 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:44 pm

MandShowI wrote:are you as excited to come play riverside as dan is? haha

That's the one we didn't play in St. Cloud right? Actually, I think it would be worth a trip. :) Mid-late April?
edrift101
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star TeeBird

Postby MandShowI » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:48 pm

mid to late april? sure..dan might be coming up here earlier than that..he seemed pretty amped to play at riverside the last time i talked to him
MandShowI
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Champ Orc/Any Buzzz

Postby Chadi » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:11 am

Speaking of the skinny guy in the white shirt how's my form? I've never actually seen myself throwing on video before, it looks a lot different than it feels.
Chadi
Noob

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby MandShowI » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:49 am

looks better than mine(im on one of joes videos too) and i can hit 375 on occasion..what can you hit?..hard to tell from the video

also.. did anyone else notice that dans short arm putts have much less flutter than they did in the instructional video? DAN THERE IS HOPE FOR YOUR PUTTING!!! haha
MandShowI
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:47 am

Chadi wrote:Speaking of the skinny guy in the white shirt how's my form? I've never actually seen myself throwing on video before, it looks a lot different than it feels.

You're close but you could get some help to accuracy and D from looser hip action that also twists faster. At times especially with approaches you don't turn fast enough toward the target and you have to compensate with the arm. It isn't helped by differing reach back positions that depending on the timing and amount of hip twist and leg pivot lead to spraying of the disc. Which is a result of the arm moving on different lines. You should concentrate on moving the arm in a straight line. You can train this by moving in slow motion and seeing if your hip twist allows unimpeded arm motion in a straight line. Close to the chest. You can bring the disc closer to the chest to ahve a tighter angle at the elbow before it chops open which increases snap and speed on the disc. The same benefits come from extending the elbow about 4-5" farther toward the target before turning to face the target. You have good body control in the arm power generation and quickness. You'd get even better results when you can start the quick arm pull later. That is after the disc passes the right pec. Here again slow motion training helps.

I suggest sneaking at slow speed, planting then starting to add speed to turning toward the target at 50 % power and really yanking late in the throw. All the while maintaining eye contact to the target for added accuracy. The angle that the toe points at might need to lessen (be closer to the target) so that you don't loose eye contact.

Try to focus on a point far away through which you want the disc to fly without turning and fade. That should help with accuracy. If you miss try to remember if your hips were tight, the muscles bulged or slowly turning and were you facing the target and was the arm pull linear or coming from right to left as some of your throws were. That works for one former world record holder but as a golf placement technique it's overly complex and insecure. If any of the symptoms show up try to warm up by quickly turning with the hips to max left then right and back a couple of times and on the last left to right motion try to twist as fast as possible pivoting with a full follow through. And see if the next throw is more fluid. You should try to concentrate on the feeling of fluidity and ease on the next throw trying to maintain loose torso muscles until the disc passes the right pec. Never mind the power generation and accuracy. Once this becomes natural you can move on to finer things. There's no point when the basics aren't just right.

I think you'll be throwing far rather soon because you are close to great form and the tweaks aren't too major. And you already are quick and powerful with the arm. A little help from the legs by bending down 4" by adding knee angle and pushing harder and adding oomph to the hip twist will transform how your arm feels and accelerates once you get the earlier parts firing on all cylinders. I'd like to see more videos from you and hear how far you throw once you change these things. I expect some serious D from you. You've got so much good going for you already. Seeing Dan play can't hurt either :-D
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Banzai » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:24 am

Dan, nice putting!
ridge | roc | river | pd
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby Chadi » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:58 am

MandShowI wrote:what can you hit?..hard to tell from the video

Most of my drives in the video were around 350' but into a 40mph gusting headwind. 3:06 was just over 400'

Thanks for the great reply JR. I realized from watching myself that I don't put enough hip action into throwing and a bit too small of a cross step.
Chadi
Noob

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby MandShowI » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:40 pm

edrift101 wrote:
MandShowI wrote:are you as excited to come play riverside as dan is? haha

That's the one we didn't play in St. Cloud right? Actually, I think it would be worth a trip. :) Mid-late April?

so i got word back from the scdg club..and pins wont go in till mid may..probably the week of the 18th
MandShowI
Tree Magnet

Postby edrift101 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:15 pm

MandShowI wrote:so i got word back from the scdg club..and pins wont go in till mid may..probably the week of the 18th

Well, we should play it opening week then! Why the delay? Flooding issues?
edrift101
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star TeeBird

Postby MandShowI » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:17 pm

no flooding..just slackers
MandShowI
Tree Magnet

Postby masterbeato » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:42 pm

at 4:50 i was throwing a nose up putter bounce that threw flat at the beginning and slowed down at the end falling nose up.

i was really out of control that round i went crazy an stuff.

thanks! my putting has clicked for me finally. got rid of that nasty ickiness!

yes i was talking about Blue Ribbon Pines, but its ok I do not really hate that course it is a beautiful course!

and edrift, i am soo sorry i will slow down next time! lol

i was lunging and really low for some reason that day, i had a hella time with my form that day due to my back hurting. too many pushups?

dude i am super psyched about riverside, course kicks major poop!
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby masterbeato » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:19 pm

update, i will be coming up to st. cloud after the spring open on the 4th. on like the following weekend or something, Sunday?
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby MandShowI » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:49 pm

4th of?..this coming month?...or next month
MandShowI
Tree Magnet

Postby masterbeato » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:30 pm

april 4th G!

lol
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby MandShowI » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:42 pm

well calvary and millstream are open...and so is becker..so it wouldnt be a complete bust
MandShowI
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Video Critique