Short video from Lakewood Hills (featuring masterbeato)

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Short video from Lakewood Hills (featuring masterbeato)

Postby black udder » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:43 am

Chadi wrote:Speaking of the skinny guy in the white shirt how's my form? I've never actually seen myself throwing on video before, it looks a lot different than it feels.

You're all upper body action. You're still trying to throw the disc as hard as you can only from the waist up. That fast run-up you have could probably be slowed down and be more methodical and you would keep the distance and gain some accuracy/consistency.

To maximize your potential, you need to understand that getting max distance requires coiling/uncoiling your body (or rotating your body). Start with the reach back and close your hip (turn your right knee to point to the rear) and then turn it to face the front and turn your left knee to face the front. As you do that, you'll open your hip. If you can take that lower body power and use it to drive your waist and torso, then you'll start that pivot with more power and speed. Once you can do that, delay that arm pull a little so that you don't pull until your chest is starting to square up.

You've got pretty good finish and looks like you're getting some snap. Add that lower body power and it should push those discs out quite a bit.

Check out when you throw a long throw, you're coming off the front of the tee because your momentum is back to front. You can't stop when you throw. Then take a look at Dan. His power is to push his body into a rotation. So even on his long throws, he's not really moving off the front of the tee because all his momentum is to pivot his body and pull his arm through.

That is not the same as the other guys that also don't come off the front. They don't have the hip rotation and body torque and close pull and finish that Dan has. You have some of it, but not all. Throw that momentum into a rotation and you'll harness more of it's power.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby masterbeato » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:34 am

i can pinpoint a lot of stuff he can be doing that will bring him to 430' easy.

he has a lot of potential and he is stuck at that plateau of 380' right now.

this is what should be done to get to a high end level:
1.) more lower body power [clear hip] with stronger run-up (forces pivot)
2.) extend wrist
3.) release out in front of chest
4.) accelerate
5.) pull across his chest rather then around [lead with elbow] Jon Drummond really stresses leading with the elbow

unfortunately he would have to go through and change things and take things out out his throw to excel to that level.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Beetard » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:26 am

Hey Chadi, edrift, or mandishowI, what's it like to see masterbeato throw in person?
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby MandShowI » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:40 am

Beetard wrote:Hey Chadi, edrift, or mandishowI, what's it like to see masterbeato throw in person?

smooooooooooooooooth
MandShowI
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Champ Orc/Any Buzzz

Postby edrift101 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:32 pm

Beetard wrote:Hey Chadi, edrift, or mandishowI, what's it like to see masterbeato throw in person?

It's the COOLEST!! :mrgreen: There's nothing like seeing Dan rip those 450' hzyer lines OVER the trees!

Of course, I still get a little sad every time I calculate the scores. :cry:
edrift101
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star TeeBird

Postby Beetard » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:18 pm

450' hzyer lines OVER the trees!
:shock:
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Postby MandShowI » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:39 pm

450 hyzer spikes over trees might be a little much...maybe 445?
MandShowI
Tree Magnet

Postby masterbeato » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:33 pm

Xcalibers are the spike hyzer frenzies!
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby Chadi » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:01 am

Thanks BU for more great feedback. After seeing myself throw I could tell I was pushing too much momentum over the teebox and had problems with the cross step footing and rotation. You and JR noted all that and more.

black udder wrote:You're all upper body action. You're still trying to throw the disc as hard as you can only from the waist up. That fast run-up you have could probably be slowed down and be more methodical and you would keep the distance and gain some accuracy/consistency.

I finally got the chance to do some field work today focusing on rotation, acceleration, momentum, and staying lower. It's funny cause I tend to throw my Buzzes with a slower run up and a quicker pull than a full power throw but I could push them out nearly as far as my distance drivers. I definitely felt a lot more control with my drives, especially turn and height.

Well he tends to throw slow plastic and short/predictable lines and still pushes shots farther than most peoples distance lines. Lets just say Beato with a Boss and a distance line would need a postage stamp.
Chadi
Noob

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby Beetard » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:12 pm

masterbeato wrote:at 4:50 i was throwing a nose up putter bounce that threw flat at the beginning and slowed down at the end falling nose up.

i was really out of control that round i went crazy an stuff.

thanks! my putting has clicked for me finally. got rid of that nasty ickiness!

yes i was talking about Blue Ribbon Pines, but its ok I do not really hate that course it is a beautiful course!

and edrift, i am soo sorry i will slow down next time! lol

i was lunging and really low for some reason that day, i had a hella time with my form that day due to my back hurting. too many pushups?

dude i am super psyched about riverside, course kicks major poop!

So, I guess your...personal trainer worked you pretty hard? :wink:
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Postby black udder » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:14 pm

wanted to say that I enjoyed the video - may not have said that before - and I look forward to the next. It's not USDGC, but it's still entertaining :D

Oh - you need to go back and do voice over, too :P What disc you threw and the line you wanted.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby masterbeato » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:35 pm

black udder wrote:
Oh - you need to go back and do voice over, too :P What disc you threw and the line you wanted.

great idea!

when mandshowI gets out with us with his camera and another camera guy at a different angle i will consider doing that. maybe a full round shot by shot with a couple commentators or everybody being a commentator. that would be be cool huh huh uh uh huh
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby MandShowI » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:00 pm

once the new snow melts im down. maybe by then millstream wont be flooded and all 18 hole will be open..oh..that is if the bridge doesnt get washed out...
MandShowI
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:18 am

Yeah, Dan, something that you guys can do, but the other DG videos don't is talk about the shot. "Okay, here's the options, this is what I'm going for and why. And this is the disc I'm choosing and why." It'd be awesome to watch because you'd get info on shot choice as well as disc choice and then get to see the results - at least when it's accomplished :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby edrift101 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:42 am

I've got all the stuff we need to do this (cameras, external board with mic, PC for editing, etc...) I'll talk to Johnson about running the second camera and we should start with a 9 or 14 hole course to make the trial run a little easier. Any ideas?

Add in MandShowl and we have a three camera shoot. Teepad, mid-range and basket
edrift101
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Star TeeBird

PreviousNext

Return to Video Critique