I only drive 430' with my ION

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

I only drive 430' with my ION

Postby jubuttib » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:36 pm

I'm doing this for a friend:

What's wrong with my drive?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyJncrY7zUE

PS. JR & tumpsu: SHUT THE FUCK UP!
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: I only drive 430' with my ION

Postby keltik » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:42 pm

lulz

that drive looks right damn smooth. who is this Jussi character?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:11 am

Har har what's wrong with the drive is that the last name of the thrower doesn't begin with a K :-D The first name is correct though. Thanks for the video Jussi K.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby dgdave » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:14 am

On the Ion throws, he takes his index finger from on the nose to wrapping it to the rim.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby jubuttib » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:42 am

He kept complaining about not getting a good grip on the ION, then proceeded to throw a tad farther with his D-P2.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby JR » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:30 am

His being the operative word.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:03 am

keltik wrote:
lulz

that drive looks right damn smooth. who is this Jussi character?

Ok I think the time for this joke has passed so I can give the low down. The thrower in the video was at best ranked the fifth best player in the world a few months ago prior to the latest update. He's rated over 1030 and is the reigning distance throwing world champion Jussi Meresmaa from Finland. And Innova Europe and Discmania. He runs the President's Cup and The European Open together with co TD Janne Kotka.

Jussi is the founder and president of Discmania and he gives at least a part of the suggestions for how their discs should perform and he gives the final approval for Discmania discs. Meaning Dave Dunipace has reworked some designs many times over several months prior to satisfying Jussi for production. Great discs like Power Driver AKA PD AKA the first DGR fund raiser disc and P2 putter come from them. Their mids MD 1 and MD 2 are quite viable discs too. Of the MD1 SG-Line is the best flying plastic for general use and the most resistant to OAT over the entire life span. It's close to Roc in flight but faster and can't take as much wind. Which a new D-Line will. They are more HSS and LSS than Star Rancho Rocs. After breaking in Rocs might be better depending on what you look for. For me the MD2 in P-Line flies differently to that of jubuttib. I need to give initial hyzer to it to flip to flat. Thrown flat I flip it. It has a fairly low power requirement because it is fast for a mid and fades little meaning it doesn't fall fast out of the sky. I'm not a fan of the one STD I loaned. It's too LSS compared to the original disc it's related to in some ways the Roadrunner. STD loses D unless there's a lot of power behind it. And especially on higher lines the RR shines whereas an STD is gonna fade out short.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jubuttib » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:32 pm

I asked him about how the discs are designed. Dave does the actual design part (quite obviously) but Jussi tells him what they're looking for, tests and approves everything. For example the PD took four molds and over a year of fiddling to get it to where Jussi wanted it to be. Apart from the P1 (which is just an Aviar) I think he said that the only disc that was just right on the first try was the TD.

The TD isn't a real turning driver, Dave F. threw them during his clinic at ~80% power, I've never seen a straighter ~430' drive in my life. My personal experience is that you need to beat the TD in properly before it starts it's magic (for my red slightly translucent champystar this meant around 20-30 drives into a wall and some sliding in a tunnel). It's NOT the same as a Roadrunner, but it's a very good disc. Also, the C-Lines seem to be more understable, according to Jussi (and my own Finnish Open C-TD).

I don't know how well a new Roc fights the wind, but I'm having a hard time imagining my S-MD1 turning on a clean throw (I can imagine my SG-MD1 turning, but only slightly). Too bad it can't handle any OAT, that's why the SG-MD1 rules. My old D-MD1 did start out more overstable than the others, but I've thrown some newer ones this year and they haven't been quite as HSS or LSS. Buyer beware.

My MD2s (orange P-Lines) have been magical for me. For my game it's the single greatest disc ever created.

PS. It was REALLY windy when we filmed the video (well, not at that particular moment, but earlier), it was awe inspiring to see him throw used 150 class D-MD1s and D-P1s in that wind.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Varsi » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:40 pm

And that strong wind was blowing from left to right from where he was throwing in the video. Those were somewhat long looking anhyzers :)

Oh and as you can see P-MD2 is my favourite too. Mine is red and usually with my less than perfect release it turns and is perfect for under 300' approaches to the right. Then I occasionally get better release and it just flies straight...
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Postby JR » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:43 pm

MD2 doesn't want to fade a lot or at all once it locks to flat.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Parks » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:20 pm

I'm amazed he throws that far. He definitely looks like he has some inefficiencies in his throw that he could iron out to his advantage.

That being said, he does the right stuff in the right places, blah blah normal DGR disclaimer.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:52 am

Parks wrote:I'm amazed he throws that far. He definitely looks like he has some inefficiencies in his throw that he could iron out to his advantage.

That being said, he does the right stuff in the right places, blah blah normal DGR disclaimer.

True about the form here but I've watched him throw 360s right beside me in two years and I filmed him at the Finnish Open this year and he's got better form than that. Especially 360s even though he leans more weight forward than most. That may be mandatory for throwing so fast. He's a strong guy and thrown almost 700'.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jubuttib » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:15 pm

He was demonstrating various lines and not going for max D, I think he cleans up his form a bit when going all out.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby zj1002 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:48 pm

dgdave wrote:On the Ion throws, he takes his index finger from on the nose to wrapping it to the rim.

I tried throwing with this "trigger pull" at the end of my practice round today. It actually helped me with timing. I think it helps me stay loose until the moment I want to pull the "trigger" and tighten my grip for the rip. I'll test it out this week and see if I decide to add it to my throws
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby dgdave » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:40 am

That's interesting. Did you do it with all your discs or just putters?
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Next

Return to Video Critique