Wrist

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Wrist

Postby mgilbert » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:46 pm

What should I do with my wrist during a drive? Should I lock it straight with my forearm all the way through the throw, or should I angle my hand/disc in toward my forearm, and allow it to open as part of the snap?
mgilbert
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cobra

Re: Wrist

Postby Stringbean » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:28 pm

This article does a nice job of explaining it... http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... bow2.shtml
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby keltik » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:58 am

Don't think about your wrist or hand so much. Think about your shoulder position more.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:24 pm

Trying to totally lock the wrist means lost distance 50' in my case a couple of years back. See also hyper spin in Discraft video more distance now with Marty Peters showing how the wrist moves from straight to right. Feldy and Jenkins said in their clinics to move the wrist right a little which for them was about an inch. Less for shorter people.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby MrScoopa » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:09 am

You don't want to curl the wrist yourself. That would prevent the wrist from building tension like a bow.

As you pull the disc across your body it will want to start to curl harder and harder. Resist that curl to build tension. At the end release all that built up tension by extending the wrist past straight.

The faster the pull through the more tension you can build. But everyone has a limit before it will slip.
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Return to Technique