The "Incomplete" Secret Technique

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The "Incomplete" Secret Technique

Postby MrScoopa » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:22 am

^ Agreed. Another way to think of it is pound the hammer on the line you want to hit :D then you don't have to think about the clock either. You accuracy will soar.
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby patdabunny » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:05 pm

Focusing more on my technique, I shot a 1060-rated round last night at a local tough course. My putting was on, but my driving was impeccable. When your form is on, the disc goes exactly where you want it to. Plus, you can start throwing slower discs (read: mids) on holes you used to throw drivers. Amazing.
My putter doinks harder than yours!

Z Pred~E*Boss~E*TB~Roadrunner~Fuse~Buzzz~Comet~Aviar
Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby USAnarchy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:07 pm

patdabunny wrote:Focusing more on my technique, I shot a 1060-rated round last night at a local tough course. My putting was on, but my driving was impeccable. When your form is on, the disc goes exactly where you want it to. Plus, you can start throwing slower discs (read: mids) on holes you used to throw drivers. Amazing.

Im glad to see you getting it. Now, are you throwing mid ranges because you can, or because your overdriving the holes with your drivers :twisted:

Something i found that really brought it all together for someone this morning:

Slow it down. Even if you think your moving slow, slow it down. I guarentee you will feel the disc's weight at that point.

This does not require huge speed to do. Allow the speed to take care or itself. Slow, smooth movements.

DONT TRY TO FORCE IT. You wouldn't try to swing a hammer as fast as you can would you? No; you would be smooth.

So dont try to throw fast. Allow yourself to be fast by doing the following: Be loose; Be fluid; Be smooth. Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.

This also works great for anyone having issues with their timing as now you are allowing your natural timing to take over versus trying to guess or force the timing yourself.

BTW, Pat is right; This stuff is the shiZnit.
Accuracy is Slow. Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast. Fast is Far.
The Less Effort, The Faster and More Powerful You Will Be - Bruce Lee
Know What You Throw. Throw What You Know.
It's Not A Routine If You Have To Think About It.
-=| Click Here To See What's Currently In My Bag |=-
USAnarchy
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JHern » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:16 pm

USAnarchy wrote:Something i found that really brought it all together for someone this morning:

Slow it down. Even if you think your moving slow, slow it down....

This is exactly what I need to hear also. I am always going into the hammer strike with way too much speed, and the weight shift happens so suddenly and violently that the disc simply pops off my lock and rip fingers, no matter how hard I grip. After changing from straight arm reachback style throwing (I had plateau-ed at 370' with my Pro Destroyer), and re-applying myself to Blake's techniques, I dropped back to 330' for a little while, but now when I slow it down a focus on the hammer striker, things are beginning to click for me. I was throwing 400' slightly uphill yesterday on a very long hole, actually putting me in 50/50 birdie range for the first time.

Anyways, I'm excited. I should soon be able to throw up to 375' golf D consistently and accurately, so if I can only get my putting game sorted out, I'll be able to jump back into competition with some hopes of winning from time to time.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby yvescy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:05 pm

This is great stuff! After a week and a half of trying this I am finally starting to see some noticable results. Lately, I've been able to throw further and more accurately on many holes in my local course than before. I have been joining my local club's weekly and monthly tournaments with an average rating of 850...but just this tuesday I got a 930 rated round! it felt great.

It definitely is about feeling the weight of the disc and "pounding the hammer" and then being able to build your form around that.

I have been playing this awesome sport for about 5 months now (bitten by the bug and addicted) and like many, want to improve fast. A couple of months ago I learned about getting the nose down, making the disc fly straight etc. And I have been able to get my putters 200+ range, rocs in the 240-275 range, drivers 280-340 feet max.

Now with this technique, I have been able to reproduce that on the field with seemingly less effort.
Sure, my form isn't what it used to be, but now I have something new to build around on.

I feel very fortunate to be able to learn these things early in my disc golf playing days. Just like with any thing else, it is harder to unlearn things and can get frustrating. So you just have to embrace that, stick with it and just realize that what you are trying to learn and put effort in is just around that corner.

And thanks again to Blake, masterBeato, Bradley, Timko, USAnarchy, and others who have contributed a lot to these forums.
Voodoo/KC Aviar/Roc/Gazelle/PD/Firebird
yvescy
Noob

Postby patdabunny » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:53 pm

USAnarchy wrote:Im glad to see you getting it. Now, are you throwing mid ranges because you can, or because your overdriving the holes with your drivers :twisted:

No, I do it because i'm overthrowing holes <275', even with KC Aviars. It sucks. Good thing I can putt well! However, I can't figure it out. I REALLY need to practice that range shot, badly.

Anything less than 360' or so, I'm considering a buzzz, a TB or a Z Predator, depending on all the factors (hole design, wind, trouble, etc.).
My putter doinks harder than yours!

Z Pred~E*Boss~E*TB~Roadrunner~Fuse~Buzzz~Comet~Aviar
Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby x-out » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:59 pm

Blake_T wrote:the goal isn't to hang onto it through the pivot, it is to give it extra juice INTO the pivot.

i completely feel the pivot, but i'm not quite getting the hammer pound. the times i do feel a small portion of the hammer pound, i usually feel it too late into the pivot.

any words of advice? :fingers-crossed:

if not then i guess its just rinse wash and repeat.
its a game of mistakes. whoever can make the least amount of mistakes wins.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby USAnarchy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:09 pm

Slow it down. It sounds like your going too fast and thus hitting it late due to timing being off.
USAnarchy
Tree Magnet

Postby x-out » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:26 pm

USAnarchy wrote:Slow it down. It sounds like your going too fast and thus hitting it late due to timing being off.

thanks for the reply.

i'm trying to rebuild my form after a good amount of time off. before i was maxing out at 450' on golf lines, so i guess i was only half hitting even at my peak.

at least i've found the pivot point again, just need to refine the timing a bit more. the pivot point today feels more exaggerated than i can recall, but that's a good thing i imagine. can't wait to find the timing and "true" feeling of a full hit. the thought of what the footage will be/can be is quite exciting.
its a game of mistakes. whoever can make the least amount of mistakes wins.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby USAnarchy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:38 pm

patdabunny wrote:
USAnarchy wrote:Im glad to see you getting it. Now, are you throwing mid ranges because you can, or because your overdriving the holes with your drivers :twisted:

No, I do it because i'm overthrowing holes <275', even with KC Aviars. It sucks.

Here are my Putter/Midrange distances that I use.

From 0 - 75feet im putting/jump putting

From 76 - 125feet im doing a stand still throw

From 126 - 275feet im doing a one step throw

From 276feet + im throwing with an x-step

remember to also try varying the reachback distance. This way you can find the range of a limited reachback to a full reachback and how many steps you need to hit a certain distance.

Comes in handy when the hole distances are correct. Might cost you a few strokes if your playing based on an inaccurate distances.

After this weekend, I need to practice judging distances better as the listed distances were off by a good 25 feet on some holes. GPS Anyone? GPS?
Last edited by USAnarchy on Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
USAnarchy
Tree Magnet

Postby Hankman » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:22 pm

Blake talked in this topic about the forearm stopping moving forward due to directional change but do you actually stop the forearm (locking the upper arm-forearm angle) "actively" with your muscles (like you stop the elbow) or just let it swing open?
Hankman
Noob

Postby USAnarchy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:00 pm

Hankman wrote:Blake talked in this topic about the forearm stopping [from] moving forward due to directional change...

You answered your own question: "...the forearm stopping [from] moving forward due to directional change..."

You do nothing. Allow it to happen. The direction change takes care of it.
USAnarchy
Tree Magnet

Postby masterbeato » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:13 pm

Blake knows far
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby USAnarchy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:22 pm

masterbeato wrote:Blake knows far

If he's Yoda, you must be Luke Skywalker, because he said the "force" was strong with you....

You need to update us with some new footage.
USAnarchy
Tree Magnet

Postby aDave » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:44 pm

I think that "hammering" has illuminated the Feldberg 70/30 grip strength split for me.
With a 4 finger grip (RHBH) I was feeling a lot of pressure on my ring finger relative to the other 3. Also the disc wobbles around a good bit on the rebound of the hammer.
Switching to the "fork" grip seems to focus the force naturally on just the pinky,(duh) and the rebound from the pound is quick, smooth and much more forceful.
Long story short. I'm getting much cleaner release with the fork grip.
I also am beginning to get a feel for how tendon bounce works due to this.
I can feel it much better with the force focused on one finger pad and am getting my late rip squeeze in better too. This has really been the eureka moment for me. Accuracy, distance and spin have all gone through the roof for me with less power spent off the tee since I started trying it out.
I'm a BIG fan.
aDave
Noob

Favorite Disc: Beat floppy aviar

PreviousNext

Return to Technique