Minneapolis area disc golf lessons 2012

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Minneapolis area disc golf lessons 2012

Postby Blake_T » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:23 am

I just a major car malfunction that requires a costly repair. While i have a great cheap mechanic that charges less than half of what a shop would charge, less than half of $2000+ is still a lot of money :P

in order to pay for it i'm offering my first open disc golf lesson work to new students in about 3 years.

rates are as follows:
putting (meeting within 7 miles of me): $10 / hr
putting (beyond 7 miles): $15 / hr
driving/field work (meeting within 7 miles of me): $20 / hr
driving/field work (beyond 7 miles): $25 / hr
each additional person, add $5 per hr.

i don't do beginner lessons, so please have something in mind you want to work on. the more specific your requests, the more in depth (and less generic) the lessons will be. we can work on improving existing form or trying to pull a major overhaul to a more idealized form (this goes for putting as well as driving).
a few ideas that are what i work with the most:
-developing snap
-line shaping/shot development
-putting stroke development
-putting - fine tuning/aiming

on average, most putting lessons are best at 1-1.5 hours. most driving lessons take 1.5-2.5 hours.

i will be open to scheduling. if you can let me know what days/times will work we can try to nail something down. the only variable is that i have a history of heat stroke so i can't do lessons on days where it's hotter than 85 degrees.

pm me if you would like to set something up.

Added 6/22: due to chronic knee and back problems i'm having to limit the number of lessons i do per week. i am able to do more putting than driving lessons on a given week.

ALSO: If you are willing to "share" a lesson, please say so when you contact me. It may make it easier to schedule something sooner rather than later. While it will split my attention, the rates are cheaper than doing separate lessons.

Coming Schedule:

7/16-7/22
Lesson 1: completed
Lesson 2: completed
Lesson 3: reserved
Putting Lesson 1: completed
Putting Lesson 2: cancelled

7/23-7/29
Lesson 1: reserved
Lesson 2: reserved
Putting Lesson 1: open
Putting Lesson 2: open

7/30-8/5
Lesson 1: reserved
Lesson 2: reserved
Putting Lesson 1: open
Putting Lesson 2: open
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Re: Minneapolis area disc golf lessons 2012

Postby Torg » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:17 pm

I hope people get what a huge opportunity this is.
Torg
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:54 pm

Thanks Torg.

Also, things have been booking up a bit (more than my knee can handle) so i will be posting a schedule on the original post.

contact me if you would like to reserve a spot in a given week.
Blake_T

Postby sunspot » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:24 pm

I'll go ahead and say that I'm interested. My wife and I are wanting to go on a road trip but are unsure if it will come to fruition. If we are able to, then it will be the week of the 16th. I let you know more of the specifics if it pans out.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby sunspot » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:51 pm

I was really wanting to get some lessons but it looks like we won't be able to make it. :(
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby Blake_T » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:33 pm

doh.

updating my schedule now, things are pretty backed up due to the 10 days of heat.
Blake_T

Postby .funk » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:21 pm

So, I've been a longtime lurker of this forum for around a year and I figured it was time to break my vow of silence. As a preface, I've read mostly every article Blake has ever written about improving distance and accuracy, but to really no avail. I was your typical 385' max player with pretty bad aim and a moderately good putting game. But the thing is, being mediocre at a sport you love kinda sucks. It's still marginally fun. You get to throw things and hang outside with friends and family. But not being able to compete at a higher level left me unsatisfied.

I live around an hour away from the cities, and I've been waiting for an opportunity like this to open up for almost as long as I've been signed up to the site. I've done two lessons with Blake to date. The first explained to me what snap actually was and ~10% of the time let me hit a teebird out to 400-420 ft. Considering that was the farthest I've ever thrown, it was hugely successful. I got back home with my newfound information and essentially lost the feeling of the hit completely, so I went to schedule another session with Blake, which happened today. At the beginning, I was doing the same thing as before. Occasionally half-hitting it, most of the time not at all, just like the last time. However, near the end of the session today I fully got the concept of throwing a disc. I began to throw gazelles out to ~430' and teebirds out to 460-470' and, let me tell you, it felt amazing. It completely validates all of the effort and frustration I've been through for the past year and a half, and it's almost entirely due to Blake. I was the one who developed the feeling, but I never would have gotten there if he didn't nudge me in the right direction. So, to the point, if you live anywhere near the cities, and you care about improving your game, you owe it to yourself to take Blake up on his offer. He's a great teacher (and a pretty cool guy too, I guess) and I pretty much owe any future success in disc golf to him. So help the guy out on paying for his car repairs!

Sorry for the long post, guess I had a lot to say.

TL;DR: Blake is Mr. Miyagi and now I throw far.
.funk
Noob

Favorite Disc: flx buzzz

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:04 am

Thanks, Rob.

it's always a joy to be a part of things when someone makes their break through and adds significant distance. when you have all of this nailed down you will have really hit the last plateau and then it's a matter of making small refinements for small distance gains, but the big hurdle (learning to full hit) is out of the way.
Blake_T

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:29 pm

Well,

I am having so many repeat lessons that my driving lessons are pretty much booked up for the next couple of weeks and from then on i will only have 1 driving lesson opening every other week unless someone cancels or decides to reduce their lesson frequency.

putting lessons are still for the most part open.

i may be able to make some special considerations for people, such as those traveling from out of state, but with the way the weather has been looking, it's hard enough finding days that work for all of my scheduled lessons.

if you are local and want to coordinate with another player or two, i will force an opening if you have 3 people (it's hard to do lessons with larger groups than that) at the group rate ($30 / hr). if you want to be put on a wait list for a group lesson, let me know what type of lesson you would like and day/time availability and i can let you know when we have enough.
Blake_T

Postby Blake_T » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:15 am

As of right now im closing off lessons with new students until the end of august unless we have already set something up.

I have several regular weekly lessons keeping me busy and i "owe" 2 additional lessons to people.

At the end of august one of the players is going back to college and i will have an opening again then
Blake_T

Return to Technique