Twisting and not Transferring

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Twisting and not Transferring

Postby UpstreamNoise » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:00 pm

Hey guys im new to the Forums I browse a lot but I going to need some specific insight on this issue im having..

Im a dominate forehand player even on upshots.. I recently really started to work on backhand after some previous failed attempts.. I feel a lot more comfortable with the backhand than stated previously. I feel the the hit and the power with little effort but I really consentrate on performing the legendary backhand drive form correctly.. I was able to put a champ leopard 400 ft which was only accomplished in dreams before..

I feel my problem is accuracy and releasing it strait. I know a huge key is weight transfer. I have great accelerating No snap is heard when using the fork grip just a whoosh sound which ive read is good. I feel like my arms are ahead of my hips or vice versa I am always releasing it late and I notice when I pivot on my heel its like I twist and dont transfer. My toe is pointing strait up at 10:00 and then I really try to accelerate through the hit and my heel just twists to much and instead of ending up at 12:00 its at 2:00. friends have suggested pulling back further but it doesnt help it just makes me feel more unbalanced. I get a few good strait drives every once and a while but it is just inconsistent. Ive tried dan beatos little leg kick but I still end up twisting.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what the peoblem is if its not twisting, and if it is are there any good excersices I can work on at home to help correct the issue. any help would be greatly appreciated and help take my backhand the next level.
UpstreamNoise
Noob

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Re: Twisting and not Transferring

Postby seabas22 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:49 pm

What you are describing sounds like a fairly classic spin out, as opposed to a pivot. It's almost always from trying to shift too much back and forth, and not transferring your weight from behind you and bracing the front side of the body.

Try this:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24071
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby UpstreamNoise » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:41 pm

I see what you are saying. I watched the video and read the post but how can i transfer this to a disc golf drive and not a ball golf drive?? Do i stand with 2 feet together during the reach back then step into it when I feel my body tilt forward?? And at what point do you embrace the transfer?? When I reach back do I Tug with the shoulder? or lean with the hips?

Sorry for the confusion. I know when your in reach back mode 80/20 80 % in back and 20 on the balls of your right foot(rhbh) then * to my understanding this is when you roll your foot from tip to heel then pivot right?? this is the point when I mess things up.
UpstreamNoise
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:42 pm

In a real throw with x steps the plant step begins with the inner side to the tip corner of the big toe landing. From there you automatically roll on the side/sole corner of the shoe onto the heel. This is the time you need to actively moving the ankle to raise the ball of the foot up for the heel pivot. Some bracing of the right leg is needed here possibly earlier depending on how fast you were going so that you can get the pause of the initial phase of the leg and body rotation and move the arm to the elbow forward (right pec) position. Here you start to push with the left leg, twist the hips, turn the shoulders chop the elbow straight in that order. The movement ranges may be small but the whole chain is so fast that it probably almost matches the speed of the two fastest hand claps you can make going from the left leg push to the disc ripping out. You gotta be quick with the claps (doable) to clap faster.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby UpstreamNoise » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:25 am

I was doing some field work the other day and I feel like I have progressed on driving and hitting in the right time. I was really concentrating on visualizing my weight and where I want it to meet the disc.. Before I was defenitly shifting my weight to my side which was causing me to spin out of control and release late..

I was really watching some pro vids and concentrating on their drives.. I noticed almost all of them tuck their head into their shoulder when driving for some reason this reach back really helped me visualize the weight.. before it seemed like I was reaching back to shake someones hand, but now it feels like Im reaching back to perform a spinning back fist* for lack of a better visual.. it seems like now my toe is always at 12 when finished and my follow through is just instant. When the disc comes out Im already walking out of the throw like it was just natural..

I have one more question if you guys could help.. after the field practice is it normal to feel very sore in your right buttocks*. I dont know if thats a good sign of planting and pivoting or if Im doing something wrong... thanks for the help..
UpstreamNoise
Noob

Postby seabas22 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:41 pm

Sounds like you are on the right path. Sore butt is probably just from overuse and/or not used to using those muscles. A foam roller will do wonders.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby ajkuck » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:31 pm

I am also trying to improve my backhand. I tend to pivot off of my toes instead of my heel. I was wondering if I could get some advice on how to go about changing this. Here is a link to my backhand shot on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91ueFST7 ... e=youtu.be
ajkuck
Noob

Favorite Disc: Sidewinder

Return to Technique