Realistic expectations

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Realistic expectations

Postby Dan-O » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:55 pm

Have realistic expectations of what gains you'll yield from your investments.

Have unrealistic expectations of your potential.

There's really no disagreement here. Just two people: one talking about apples, the other about oranges.

If you're going to ask that girl out, that's cool. But you better have a good plan (probably one with multiple parts evoking emotions that build on one another and work synergetically), 'cause the best one-liner ever still isn't going to make it happen.
Dan-O
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hurricane

Postby jubuttib » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:11 pm

What about if you never ask the girl out, but she asks you? How does that work out? =/
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:12 am

Sex? One can hope after all :-D
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby BrotherDave » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:45 pm

Blake_T wrote:If you aren't there yet, save yourself a headache and work on the basics. When you have those mastered, it's time to move on.

This might be a dumb question but what are the basics? This website/forum is kind of like the Bible, the Apocrypha, the non canonical gospels, and the Bhagavad Gita all jumbled into one when most people are just looking for the 10 Commandments. No wonder so many people are too focused on not shaving their sideburns or wearing cloth woven of 2 different linens when all they really need is the Golden Rule. Not blaming anybody, mind you, I'm just chalking it up to the organic nature of internet boards with every new poster basically being a sidebar.

(I don't know about the UTep 2 step but in my first year of playing basketball I learned how to jump hook with both hands, a McHale up and under, Malone's post turnaround J, a baseline spin move a la Anthony Mason and a fadeaway a la Glen Rice (I was a big Hornet's fan)).

What does that say about me? (I'll tell you: I was the Hakeem Olajuwan of 6'2" vertical challenged, chunky, white kids with asthma.) :lol:
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby Stringbean » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:54 pm

BrotherDave wrote:
Blake_T wrote:If you aren't there yet, save yourself a headache and work on the basics. When you have those mastered, it's time to move on.

This might be a dumb question but what are the basics? This website/forum is kind of like the Bible, the Apocrypha, the non canonical gospels, and the Bhagavad Gita all jumbled into one when most people are just looking for the 10 Commandments. No wonder so many people are too focused on not shaving their sideburns or wearing cloth woven of 2 different linens when all they really need is the Golden Rule. Not blaming anybody, mind you, I'm just chalking it up to the organic nature of internet boards with every new poster basically being a sidebar.

(I don't know about the UTep 2 step but in my first year of playing basketball I learned how to jump hook with both hands, a McHale up and under, Malone's post turnaround J, a baseline spin move a la Anthony Mason and a fadeaway a la Glen Rice (I was a big Hornet's fan)).

What does that say about me? (I'll tell you: I was the Hakeem Olajuwan of 6'2" vertical challenged, chunky, white kids with asthma.) :lol:

^ Post of the year
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby JR » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:56 pm

Valid question that can have multiple answers. The kind of faqs here are the articles on the main page the 300' thread Dan Beato video a couple threads down and often asked issues on the forums but nothing has been canonized yet. At one point there was talk of that work but since Dan Beto mentioned wanting to make a commercial video i thought it would be better so i did not start it. Common questions and answers include nose down pulling close to the chest in a straight line leading with the elbow wrist use in the snap the pause footwork and so on. Because there are different techniques and many stick with one often their own mix of what many pros use not everyone can give a comprehensive comparison so that kind of help is often tailored to the person asking questions on how to improve their form.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby discraft » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:39 am

some basics:

1) Not pulling tight enough
2) Not stopping the elbow
3) Nose up throws
4) No wrist extension
5) Pulling too early
6) Not weight forward
7) Not finishing

Disc Golf Driving Checklist

Injection and Compression Side (up to where the disc gets real heavy loading fingers)

Things to look for:

1. Light quick footing
2. Plant foot at about 90 degrees with slightly bent knee
3. Hips opening up first
4. Shoulder turn next and fast (both hands tight to body)
5. Elbow extension following (not concurrent with shoulder turn)
6. Wrist stop
7. Powerful wrist position
8. Powerful grip especially after pivot at rip point
9. Disc held high through throw
10. Wrist down and disc in plane with throw

Ejection and Pull Through Side (where heavy disc springs and rips from grip)

Things to look for:

1. Weight over plant foot and still in front of disc
2. Pull through with full force of shoulders and arm (maximum power exerted at this point, not before)
3. Pull through ending up at least 180 degrees from the target.
4. Plane of arm matches plane of disc
5. Pivot on front foot (ball or heel, but ball is better)
Regular Dude that likes DISCRAFT.

Force:Nuke:Avenger:Buzz:Meteor:Stratus:APX
discraft
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Meteor

Postby Stringbean » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:01 pm

That's a great list. I respectfully disagree with a couple of those...

discraft wrote:9. Disc held high through throw

You can have success with a lower pull through. Schusterick and Feldberg are examples.

discraft wrote:5. Pivot on front foot (ball or heel, but ball is better)

Heel pivot is better in my opinion. Less stress on the knee and helps maintain a straight line from the heel up through hip and shoulder.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby itlnstln » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:30 am

In my mind, there is only one "basic:" being able to fling the disc out with a strong hit.

Everything else just allows you to do this one thing stronger, with more finesse or on a different line (or some combination thereof). When you master the hit, the rest starts to make sense and is more or less obvious.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Previous

Return to Technique