HELP!

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

HELP!

Postby Wafflescoffer18 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:24 pm

Hi, I hope someone out there might be able to help me. I am haveing trouble with two aspects of my game. All of my main drives i do right handed forearm drives, my favortie disc is a discraft surge which is overstable and flys well for me, Surge will typically fly straight and then cut left as expected for me and for long bombs i am able to get a nice S turn out of it, but on to my troubles

First i am having trouble throwing understable and lighter discs, when i throw them they tend to wobble, cut and roll. I then try to cut back on my "snap" and i get a nice short drive but no distance.

Second I am hitting a 300' wall where i am unable to drive my disc much further.

Third i keep reading articles which say that there is a limited use for forearms and i will not be able to advance my skills with this type of throw. Any thoughts?
Wafflescoffer18
Noob

Favorite Disc: Surge

Re: HELP!

Postby JR » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:15 pm

Welcome. You've been given misinformation. People throw forehands a mile and there probably isn't a distance limit that people have hit yet. If a 12x world champion says that it is difficult to keep up with the young guns that throw both forehands and backhands that says a lot about the utility of sidearms. It is true that it is easier to throw farther with backhands though. Forehands have the advantage of the looking at the target all the time and being easy to approach with and being more natural to many.

Much of the power to the sidearm=forehand throw comes from running and the hips turning to the left. Added snap counters the disc flipping over because a better snap adds spin to the disc which stabilizes the flight and stops wobbling earlier and cuts through wind better. Also reducing the amount the disc flips.

There are many reasons why a disc can roll over. Wrist rolling, shoulder rolling counter clockwise from too much arm effort being too tense and trying to move the arm too fast for your body control skills, dropping the arm lower after the release than the initial pre release line to mention a few common things. Look at my signature and mirror the sides. The palm should face up in the follow through. To get enough stabilizing spin on the disc the grip needs to be tight and the wrist needs to make a very quick flick forward with an abrupt stop to pivot the disc between the fingers after the disc starts to move forward..
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: HELP!

Postby Wafflescoffer18 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:16 pm

Thank you so much for the advice i will go try it out and see what happens. I am trying to get to a level when i feel like i am good enough to compete in tournaments and such not just for grins. This may get me there.
Wafflescoffer18
Noob

Favorite Disc: Surge

Return to Technique