Anthon open hand pull

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Anthon open hand pull

Postby dgdave » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:02 pm

I know Jussi of Discmania drops his ring finger then "pulls the trigger" on the pull. I guess Anthon does this, but his looks really loose. His thumb even comes up. How much will this benefit?

"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Re: Anthon open hand pull

Postby dgdave » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:05 pm

"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby turso » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:10 pm

I'm guessing it's more of a technique for them to keep loose until the hit rather than a magic distance and/or accuracy trick.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby JR » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:53 am

That was a pretty nifty video. I've only tried an index finger trigger pull and if timed right it can increase the grip strength late in the throw. I've never tried thumb and it makes sense to do it because like Dave Dunipace said in one video the thumb determines the strength potential of the grip which determines the power potential of the throw. Without trying purely speculating on a theoretical level the ring finger trigger pull increases the lock time and the thumb helps in holding on longer. Thumb seems to be the most catastrophic place to fail in because the orientation of the disc with fingers on the underside only have a difficult time in maintaining angles let alone holding on long enough if the thumb touches the disc too late. An index finger plus thumb trigger pull could cater the most for enough grip strength to pivot the disc properly.

Turso is right about the need for muscle looseness in the arm and that the non curled fingers help with that.

Did you see how close to the center of the disc McBeth held his thumb?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby CatPredator » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:08 am

Man, Anthon looks so fat and old when you see him throw in slow motion next to the young, long bodies of Will and Ricky. Pretty amazing he can play at such a high level with such low flexibility in his core and legs.

The open hand pull seems like kind of a tricky timing mechanism but I imagine it does help keep things loose until the hit so he can really focus all his power on holding on to the disc for a brief instant.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby JR » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:46 pm

The momentum of the thumb bearing down on the flight plate may also add to the grip strength beyond what a static pinch could achieve. I think that Josh is intentionally not reaching back as far as possible in order to gain with accuracy and consistency. He throws quite far as it is so he probably doesn't lose often in driving distance with the shorter reach back than many. At least in a manner that ruins his chances of winning any event. He is amazing when he gets hot and often times he does exactly that in the largest event especially in the final rounds. He's not someone you want chasing you because even the top layers having great tournys have real trouble holding him back. As it happens for a few times it took all of the best players in the world to try to hold him back and only one at a time has been able to. Second spots in majors is nothing new to him. He is a great example of how limits in one part of the game, self imposed or not, doesn't mean that you couldn't win everyone. He nearly has. He is responsible in some of the hottest rounds in history even in the most difficult settings too approaching a perfect round in USDGC stroke and distance rule for example. Immense skill and he must have a good head game. When he's hot he makes mostly every putt from each distance. In his good days he is the best long distance putter in the world. Because putting varies day to day even with Locastro, Yeti, Doss, Feldy, Climo etc. and Josh does not lose anything to those guys when you compare a hot day from him vs a hot day from anyone.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby cubeofsoup » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:49 pm

Brinster is so smooth. Thanks for linking that video dave, awesome stuff.

JR wrote:Second spots in majors is nothing new to him

Yeah back to back to back 2nd place at worlds...holy crap
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:08 pm

Yeah and look at Ricky Wysocki at the Worlds and the USDGC this year. Wow.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JHern » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:38 pm

CatPredator wrote:Man, Anthon looks so fat and old...amazing he can play at such a high level with such low flexibility in his core and legs...

Josh is physically handicapped. He got his shoulder blown off with a shotgun when he was a kid. Hence the nickname.

I should also say that I've never seen a better illustration of the principles espoused here on DGR regarding generation of snap, than I have watching Josh throw. He doesn't spend a great deal of effort, and get enormous snap, resulting in long and accurate drives. That's only part of the story, of course, as he is well-known for his putting.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Return to Technique