what should be in my bag

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: what should be in my bag

Postby dgdave » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:51 am

I'm not big on the "inly throw putters to start with" logic. I believe it's good to do that every once in a while once you've got throwing down. I think a putter, mid, and slow driver is the best way to go. That way you can be accustomed to each type of disc and its easier to shape lines with slower drivers than a putter
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby theredstar » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:02 pm

Went out and got a buzzz and an eagle today and dropped my best score from 5 over to 1 over.the.video on grips helped a ton.added at least 50 feet to my drive.and the buzzz is going exactly where I intend it to.thanks for all the help
theredstar
Noob

Favorite Disc: innova teedevil

Postby dgdave » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:26 pm

If you are par at Will after just starting, you're doing fine.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby JR » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:52 am

dgdave wrote:I'm not big on the "inly throw putters to start with" logic. I believe it's good to do that every once in a while once you've got throwing down. I think a putter, mid, and slow driver is the best way to go. That way you can be accustomed to each type of disc and its easier to shape lines with slower drivers than a putter

I agree in that you will need to throw faster discs to see how they behave now and to tackle the nose up issues they present but for basic form putter rounds are great for early career quick form improvement. Mainly eliminating off axis torque that unlocks future growth.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby theredstar » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:53 pm

Should I be snapping my wrist in my drive.or.keeping.it.straight the.whole.time?
theredstar
Noob

Favorite Disc: innova teedevil

Postby dgdave » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:29 pm

Keep it straight and the wrist will bounce itself
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby JR » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:28 am

People tend to be surprised by how much power it really takes to resist the wrist bending back. A total lock just might not be that good because by definition it kills the wrist snap. When i tried to stop my wrist in a test last year i topped out at 350' with any disc with a low line drive and once i allowed the wrist to move 400'+. Feldy showed a half an inch of movement tops in his clinic for the wrist movement. You need to stop that movement actively with the muscles to really get the disc to pivot quickly.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Technique