Need ideas for instructional articles

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Need ideas for instructional articles

Postby JR » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:21 pm

cornelius wrote:
SkaBob wrote:An advanced article dealing with the things you have to do/get right in order to throw a putter 300 feet.

if you are throwing a putter 300 ft how far should your drivers be going?

Look in the 400' thread :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby SirRaph » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:41 am

I'd personally like to see an article covering different putting techniques, explaining their strengths and weaknesses, with some videos to illustrate.

For example, I guess Nate Doss uses a push putt, he seems to be dead nuts for the most part, but he also seems to get a lot of roll-aways. I personally use a similar method, and it doesn't translate (for me) well to jump putts.
Climo and Locastro use that straight arm, straddle putt. They're obviously both very good at it, and using the jump putt with the style seems very natural. But, opening the underside of the disc to the wind by using a hyzer might be a problem at times. This style might also create issues with long putts with low ceilings, as well as "thread the needle" type putts that push putting seems to lend itself to.

Etc.
R4PR2S3NT
SirRaph
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Destroyer

Postby Ven » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:21 am

SirRaph wrote:I'd personally like to see an article covering different putting techniques, explaining their strengths and weaknesses, with some videos to illustrate.... Etc.

DisCap is starting an indoor putting H.O.R.S.E. league since we're so snowed under and to play weeknights when it's dark. The proposed rules say we randomly rotate through different throws. A list of all of the grips and putting techniques would be helpful.
Here's what we've got so far:
Straddle, Turbo, Hyzer, Anhyzer, Flick/Forehand, Off Hand, Blind/No Look.
I know a lot more grips: Jump Putt (can be used with many grips). Air Bounce. Freestyle Set Up. Thumber. Backward Thumber. Hooked Thumb. Overhand (AKA Overhand Wrist Flip. May be the Grenade). Underhand (used to be on Frisbee directions). Freestyle Chicken Wing. Freestyle Two Hand Slap (can be used with many grips). The Finger (A backhand variation good for high releases; similar to Bonopane). One finger. Knuckle-bee (one handed no spin, many grips). Loaf of Bread (Two hand Straddle with almost no spin; my wife never misses with it).
Ven
Noob

Favorite Disc: Daredevil Wolverine

Postby Ven » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:02 pm

Ever since as a kid when I learned that other people are left handed, I've taught myself to use both hands for just about everything. In ball golf I carry 2 lefty clubs, in addition to 12 righties. Using both hands is huge in Ultimate, which I played for decades.

In disc golf it's all about spin direction. Although I know over 30 ways to throw a disc I find that in disc golf you only need two: a CW and a CCW. All CW throws go from left to right across the thrower's body. All CCW throws go from right to left across the thrower's body. Doesn't matter which hand you use.

That means if an obstacle is in the way of your stance and throw on your immediate left, it will hinder all CW throws. An obstacle on your immediate right will hinder all CCW throws.

Most people spin a disc CW with RHBH and CCW with RHFH. Another option for CCW is LHBH. It is pretty easy to learn LHBH, because it is like batting right handed in baseball. And you know how to throw the back hand right handed so you can teach yourself the left hand BH.

Fastest way to learn is cold turkey, lefty drives only. And of course the practice field. I am still studying overhead throws....
Ven
Noob

Postby SkaBob » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:03 pm

Ven, your post only applies to overstable discs. When throwing something like a Comet, it's no problem at all to go completely the other way.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Ven » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:34 pm

SkaBob, thanks for your reply, but no one can throw a RHBH with CCW spin. You can throw RHBH with a flight path that anhyzers, and falls away from the spin. For obstacles beyond 6 feet, you can hyzer around one way or anhyzer around the other. I think you need two throws, one CW & one CCW, in case there are obstacles immediately in the way of your stance. It is easy for righty's to learn LHBH because of batting in baseball. Much easier than learning a RHFH.

I am still studying upside down throws. When they flip over it switches the spin from CW to CCW or vice versa. I think I am finally getting the concept of what turnover is, and how it contributes to extra distance.
Ven
Noob

Postby Sean40474 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:11 am

JR wrote:
cornelius wrote:
SkaBob wrote:An advanced article dealing with the things you have to do/get right in order to throw a putter 300 feet.

if you are throwing a putter 300 ft how far should your drivers be going?

Look in the 400' thread :-)

I'm having a hard time finding this thread and for some reason the search isn't working. I think I'm at this point of throwing my putters 300+
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby JR » Wed May 09, 2012 4:52 pm

The search is limited to 4 letters or more i think. Why? There is no 400' thread it was a joke. The 300' thread gives enough info in a disjointed way to reach 400' as long as you have enough body guidance control, form, timing and muscle power and nervous system speed. Naturally some aspects of those are covered better elsewhere sprinkled around.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby MrScoopa » Thu May 10, 2012 3:21 pm

T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby allsport1313 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:16 pm

I am really really really garbage at those ~75 foot putts. For me it is too far for a jump putt but feels very awkward to power down and make a throw at it. I usually can get up and down, but I almost never give it a chance to go in at this range. Lately I've tried employing a little of what Feldy does sometimes, which is a long jump putt released on an anhyzer so it goes a little farther. Anything you could cover on this would be awesome, never seen a lesson about this range.
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby JR » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:30 pm

There have been threads where this is talked about. Get the knees pointing to front and sides and squat down far enough to allow the hand and disc to move to beside or behind the left ankle and emphasize the leg jump forward and up and raising the hips to straight up standing stance and raise the arm at lest forehead height Before release. I've thrown to 100'+ this way with a putter. If you make a hybrid throw/jump with a light mid by starting with a reach back and finishing with a jump putt you'll get even farther. My record with a 150 mid is 207' but i lose any sort of consistency at around 150'.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby allsport1313 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:49 pm

Ah thanks for the ideas JR!
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby JR » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:16 am

Sorry this has been put on hold after masterbeato said he'd try to do a DVD. Not heard of any progress yet.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Technique