Rim shape and release angle

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Rim shape and release angle

Postby AcesAZ » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:04 pm

I sort of come to the conclusion that the rim design effects how much Nose down and hyzer release angles are produced. Its harder to throw a nose down anyhyzer for me with my overstable discs. So am I crazy? What about PLH, rim slant and width? Seems like the higher or larger of those the more hyzer the disc will release with.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Shark

Re: Rim shape and release angle

Postby JHern » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:10 pm

AcesAZ wrote:...Seems like the higher or larger of those the more hyzer the disc will release with.

The disc will be released with which ever hyzer angle and nose angle you give it...not sure I understand the question.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby AcesAZ » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:12 pm

Yes Im crazy then. It just felt like it is harder to turn down overstable discs, wider rims, high plh discs etc.. I kind of suck anyways so blame that.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby PMantle » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:17 pm

AcesAZ wrote:Yes Im crazy then. It just felt like it is harder to turn down overstable discs, wider rims, high plh discs etc.. I kind of suck anyways so blame that.

Almost all of my nose up mistakes are with discs I probably should not be throwing anyway-speed 11/12 size rims. I can drop down to a rim like the Wildcat, and while I'll never get the occasional bomb, I'll also never make that high go nowhere mistake. I also have short fingers.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby JHern » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:18 pm

AcesAZ wrote:Yes Im crazy then. It just felt like it is harder to turn down overstable discs, wider rims, high plh discs etc.. I kind of suck anyways so blame that.

It could be grip related. Just try throwing on a lower trajectory, start your pull higher than your release, which will help. For sure wide wing drivers are more nose angle sensitive and fly best flat so maybe it is simply emphasizing nose down issues that other discs are covering up since they're not as sensitive?
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby AcesAZ » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:23 pm

Thats a good tip to try out. I know different discs will fly differently Im just talking initial angle of release. My thinking is that when the disc rips out there can be some grazing on the edge of the rim effecting the release angle. It just seems harder to throw nose down high annies with my OLF or River then say a TBird. Getting that right angle of Nose and Anny/Hyzer.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby JHern » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:32 pm

If you throw a hss over-stable disc with enough anhyzer and a little height to force the disc into moving right, then you're aerially maneuvering it into a nose down orientation. This works for most people. But if you want to throw it hard and flat with a strong fade at the end, then you have to start your pull high and release low, press down with your thumb a bit harder, scoot the disc edge higher into the base of your thumb, tilt your wrist further down, or roll your wrist.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby JR » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:23 am

The wider the wing, taller the disc and shorter the fingers the harder it is to push down the front of the disc so leverage of the thumb might help as well as the Wiggins grip. For more leverage of the thumb the Jenkins grip helps.

Often times fast wide winged discs need to be HSS meaning more overstable in the most cases and while there are understable warp speeders you may not have tried those IDK. If those are as hard to manipulate the launch angles with it may well be that you need a grip change.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby AcesAZ » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:50 pm

I think it does come down to the grip. I've been messing with it a bit trying to get the right feel. Too cold to play lately and too much snow. ;(
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Return to Technique