Thank you DGR logo

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Thank you DGR logo

Postby Stringbean » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:48 pm

The little arrow near the left leg led me to adjust my footwork. The motion of my left leg was like a spindle when it should have been more like a swinging gate. I don't know the kinesiology behind it but it helped improve my timing and really helped me to feel the tension building through my back. This was the missing link for me, only took two years but better :mrgreen: late than never.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Re: Thank you DGR logo

Postby JR » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:00 pm

The swinging gate is a great analogy for Feldy kick plane and low height of the leg movement and the direction the left leg moves. I might steal it :-) I'm not sure if you meant it though and don't know if you use the Feldy kick. The direction to which the left leg pushes is important. You are trying to turn the body around quickly not jumping up so mimicking a swinging gate is a good direction to push. Having the tip of the toe down at the rip helps in pushing forward if you stay planted with the left leg at the rip so the analogy works for that form too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Stringbean » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:48 pm

No, I do not use the Feldy kick. It is more Schusterick / Wysocki style. I am tall and lanky, so that suits me well. Essentially, I bend my left leg and swing it around quickly. From what I can tell, the movement forces the hips to open further and more suddenly. As long as I keep my upper body loose, I don't have to think about timing, it just happens. I do keep the tip of my toe on the ground at the rip and subsequently straighten my left leg which powers the foot pivot.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:03 pm

stringbean you are correct about the Schusterick/Wysocki knee knock as I call it.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:34 am

That is the best way i know of of using the legs in a doubly planted drive until after the rip.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Stringbean » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:07 am

It seems to work pretty well. I have also been trying to face up to the basket more with chest extended, ala Ken Climo. When I do, the flight path is textbook and accuracy much improved. After a couple of one hour practice sessions, I am waking up with sore muscles that I am not used to using. Hoping this will lead to increased distance as I recover and ramp up my quickness.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Postby BrotherDave » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:53 pm

I don't have a clue what any of you are talking about, my left leg might as well be on fire for all I'm aware of.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby NoLifeLeft » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:08 am

If I try to actively move my left leg I usually end up rushing the rotation and going wide right.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby Stringbean » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:52 am

With his technique, the left leg is the first thing that moves after reach back while the right foot is still planted at 90 degrees. You would essentially be bow legged. Just before the hit, you start the right foot pivot and the hips will spring open.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:51 pm

NoLifeLeft wrote:If I try to actively move my left leg I usually end up rushing the rotation and going wide right.

You are rushing it then. The pause needs the left leg to delay the active push until the disc is at the right pec +-some depending on your power. The left leg does move automatically from momentum from the reach back to around when the disc is by the left side.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Technique