Disc Pivot

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc Pivot

Postby niq » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:18 am

Hello,

Background:
So i've been at all of this for a while now (about a year since I revamped my throw and started learning with the super-secret-teknique). Anyway's i'm pretty sure I half-hit fairly consistently now, but had a question about disc pivot/palm ejection. When I experience "the hit" I feel the disc pivot on all 4 of my fingers inside the rim (i feel it roll from my pinky all the way to my index finger) and then the disc is gone (i don't experience any palm ejection, or my rip fingers popping off prior to pivoting around my index/thumb).

Question:
1) Is it possible to be hanging on too tight with my lock fingers, thus making it so they can't break loose?
2) is it possible to experience palm ejection/disc pivot with a hammer drill (little to no reachback)? I do experience this exact same rolling from pink to index finger even with mild-mannered hammer drill with minimal reachback.

Thanks in advance!
niq
Noob

Re: Disc Pivot

Postby Stringbean » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:40 pm

I believe that the full hit requires active wrist extension while following a large arc (the rail). The hammer is more of a straight line with a tendon bounce. If your timing is right, there will be too much force to hang on with the lock fingers.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Re: Disc Pivot

Postby niq » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:03 am

My understanding is that you can full hit with either one, the hammer method just takes more grip strength and more precision, is that wrong?

I feel like I am actively extending my wrist, although not with tendon bounce (i'm not loading the power pocket because i'm not really using a reachback -- for testing, then i will build it up). If I do a full drive I feel the tendon bounce because I load the power pocket, except at the hit the hula-hoop sensation (disc rolling from my pinky to my index finger) is just stronger.
niq
Noob

Return to Technique