Timing of the plant leg

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Timing of the plant leg

Postby bstar » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:04 pm

Recently, after eight years of not playing and struggling to get my timing back, it's felt like the timing of the plant is off. Watching Dan Beto in slo-mo here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOMbSi_-3-k), it looks like the disc starts forward from the reachback an instant before the front leg plants.

It's felt recently like my plant leg is hitting the ground too early, negating some rotational energy, so I just wanted to throw this out if anyone wanted to comment. I assume what Dan is doing is right (he throws a Star Wraith 527' on one throw, so, yeah).

Thanks in advance.
bstar
Noob

Favorite Disc: Stingray

Re: Timing of the plant leg

Postby seabas22 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:58 pm

The disc is moving forward from the top of the backswing into the transition because of shifting the body forward and then resisting it(the move), not pulling the disc with the arm. You can see his arm is loose as the disc comes forward into the power zone and then wham. It's more about timing the pull wrong, than timing the plant wrong. It's also likely your throwing stance/balance/posture and swing alignments are out of whack.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby JR » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:22 am

The arm should move forward only after the plant step lands some start after a minor pause. Pulling earlier than planting often leads to grip locks.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby itlnstln » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:43 am

Blake has mentioned in the past there are some pros who don't even finish their reach back until after their plant foot lands (maybe not fully planted, though). That might be a bit extreme, but you certainly want to plant prior to the pull.

Even the word "plant" might be wrong as even though that foot is firmly on the ground, it is constantly in motion (toe -> heel -> pivot) and not really "planted," per se.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby bstar » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:59 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys. All comments are applicable to my problem(s) right now.
bstar
Noob

Favorite Disc: Stingray

Return to Technique