Disc Weight Versus Stability

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc Weight Versus Stability

Postby mgilbert » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:52 pm

I have a 162 gram Sidewinder. Only on my very best throws can I make it fly flat and straight, much less turn right even a little at 100' out, and I've practiced a lot. Most throws just hyzer. I'm 52, and maybe I just can't throw it fast enough. So I decided to experiment with weight. I bought a 125 gram Sidewinder. It goes 100', turns right, and heads for the ground. So I bought a 143 gram Sidewinder and a 135 gram Beast. Both these discs turn pretty hard right, too, but not as bad - but forget throwing them into a headwind.

I can throw them in still air or with a tailwind, with a little hyzer angle on them, and almost get them to turn a pretty "S" curve, but they are picky. The list bit off, and the discs go hyzer, or anhyzer, and wind up way off to the right or left. Even when I get it right, I only get 275' feet out of them, which as good as I've ever done with any disc. (How in the world do people throw 350'...)

So, is weight that critical? Should I get something just a bit heavier until I find the disc that is just right. Or am I doing something wrong, keeping me from throwing these discs is a nice "S" curve? I'm getting frustrated. It's beginning to look like getting everything right for good, clean throws has so many variables that I'll never get even close to consistent. Somebody shed some light on this before I give up.
mgilbert
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cobra

Re: Disc Weight Versus Stability

Postby JR » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:01 am

The world record is a gimmick in the wind and not on usable golf lines without accuracy at 836'. So it is pretty clear your power generation needs to be examined and a video is the tool for that so please post one in the video critique section. Once you gain power the demands to the high speed stability of the discs change so optimizing stability for your current power means little for your progression. No matter of changing discs will rectify your form which is the primary quick fix for added distance. The other part that takes longer to improve is to add flexibility and muscle power with coordination skills.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Disc Weight Versus Stability

Postby itlnstln » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:01 am

Disc stability is more closely related to launch speed than weight (I think you probably got to that conclusion in a roundabout way). The faster you can throw a disc, the more it will potentially* turn. I think what you're seeing is that you're throwing the lighter discs faster, so they are turning more, but (all things being equal) lighter discs are no less overstable than heavier ones in the same mold and plastic. In fact, some discs are more overstable in lighter weights (the Boss is one example) than less overstable. As far as what you can do to throw faster, JR is dead on, videos are the best way to diagnose technique problems that may be preventing you from getting the speed you're looking for.

*The speed to spin ratio could play into how much a disc might turn at a given speed, but that's a bit out of scope at this point.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Return to Technique