Keyturn/Wrist Extension

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Keyturn/Wrist Extension

Postby soupdeluxe » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:18 pm

Hello All
Been a while but since I posted a question, but I have continued to work on my throw. My question is rather simple. Is the "keyturn" that Blake as well as others describe wrist extension? I am not sure where to find the keyturn post but it refers to moving your hand at the last second in a keyturning motion. This helps tremendously with getting that nose down after keeping your arm loose for the majority of the throw. Thanks
SD
soupdeluxe
Noob

Favorite Disc: XD

Re: Keyturn/Wrist Extension

Postby keltik » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:21 am

It sounds like a form of controlled OAT; not necessarily a bad thing.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Stringbean » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:30 am

My understanding is that it is a way to increase grip strength through the pivot while at tje same time pushing the nose down. You can see Beato do this in his winter youtube video. You can see the back of the disc flip up after his elbow gets forward.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby soupdeluxe » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Thanks for the insights. Stringbean I am a little dense what is tje? Keltik, I think you are right on this to some degree. I don't think you can excecute the key turn unless your wrist is open or opening. It is a subtle movement that allows you to push the wrist down. I almost think it happens naturally when you push the wrist down. I also see how depending on the timing (way early) and "severity" for lack of a better word, that you turn the wrist you are talking OAT. You don't want your wrist to roll over. The more I think about this it seems like this is the very end of wrist extension whether or not you assisted the wrist in opening. You try to keep that hand at 9 o'clock as long as possible and then the disc goes from inside your forearm to outside in a nano second and you push the wrist down and it happens. Kind of splitting hairs here I guess but that is what I do when it comes to DG technique. Thanks Again
SD
soupdeluxe
Noob

Postby seabas22 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:39 pm

You can rotate the forearm under palm down during extension and push with the thumb more.

"tje":
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby soupdeluxe » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:24 pm

All right, feeling a little dumb about the tje thing. I honestly thought it was an acronym that pertained to the throw. Its no wonder Its taking me so long to figure out this game.
SD
soupdeluxe
Noob

Postby JR » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:01 am

If i copy a key turn movement exactly in the elbow and the wrist i rotate the disc into anhyzer and not push the disc front down. Pushing the hand down from the wrist below neutral drops the front of the disc maintaining the hyzer angle set by the arm movement plane. Mind you a hand down plus right rotation of the elbow and the wrist together create
nice high maximum distance s-curves. When you pull the arm from low in the reach back to high in the rip. When i get the rip close to the front of the tee not at the left of the tee when the arm is pointed 90 degrees left of the target. A rip there with a key turn would indeed not influence hyzer but would get the front down by crazy amounts if wanted. As in hitting the ground within 10'. Naturally both power generation of such an early rip and hitting the ground early possibly with too much nose down angle might be problematic for scoring.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique