Holding at Craned Anny Before Reach Back

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Holding at Craned Anny Before Reach Back

Postby TwoChain » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:42 am

Of my group of friends, the best player in the group seems to hold the disc at an anny angle close to his chest, kind of craned before the reach back. He drives with putters and mids a lot so he HAS to be shifting his wrist to a hyzer when he pulls through. I also noticed that Will Schusterick and some other pros do this too (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30cUNsWOYSI).

When I throw I keep my wrist at the angle I want during release. When I throw a mid or a putter off the tee, the main thing on my mind is to hyzer at release. I tried throwing it the way I perceived the method above to work but it turns over all the time. This of course works better with overstable discs but that's not what I see the players who use the technique always shoot.

Is there an advantage to holding the disc at an anny before you reach back? Does it allow you reach back further or something? I've seen several good players do this.
RHBH: VP > KC Pro Roc > Echo Teebird > Pro Katana > Echo Wraith
TwoChain
Noob

Favorite Disc: KC Pro Roc

Re: Holding at Craned Anny Before Reach Back

Postby niq » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:13 am

I'm pretty sure changing the angle in the midst of your throw = bad. In the schusterick video you posted it is slightly anny (I was referencing the drives around 3:15), but it seems more to do with him being relaxed rather than him intentionally having the disc go from anny->flat or anny->hyzer
niq
Noob

Postby seabas22 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:13 pm

It's not something I typically do or recommend for golf lines, but it helps keep the grip/arm looser and wrist cocked as gravity pulls the disc/wrist closed. It also allows a little further reachback, and pulling forward the hand/disc comes through closer to the body adding acceleration and extension to the outward motion. You do have to roll the wrist under in the finish unless you want an anhyzer or roller.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby JR » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:07 am

Snap is harder that way but so is getting consistent correct angle. Gravity accelerates the disc some when it is dropping from anny to flat or hyzer. There are some pros that do it but not everyone pulls as close to the chest as possible. Rather at the same distance a flat throw would go.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby itlnstln » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:03 am

Mike Robinson, a pro who to comment on these 'boards from time-to-time (MDR3000, IIRC), said that all throws are flat, neutral-angle throws (in terms of arm position) but that the amount of hyzer/anhyzer is controlled by the tilt of the waist. I mention this as while Schusterick appears to have a small amount of anny in his arm angle, the amount of correction would be minimal to to bring the angle back to flat assuming hyzer/anhyzer is controlled by the amount of tilt at the waist.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby TwoChain » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:10 am

Tilt at the waste. Interesting, never thought about it like that! I'll have to play around with it and see if I can get some more distance.
RHBH: VP > KC Pro Roc > Echo Teebird > Pro Katana > Echo Wraith
TwoChain
Noob

Favorite Disc: KC Pro Roc

Postby itlnstln » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:58 am

TwoChain wrote:Tilt at the waste. Interesting, never thought about it like that! I'll have to play around with it and see if I can get some more distance.

I'm not sure that it will yield more distance. It was proposed as a way to create simplicity and consistency. It could work, though, if you have a lot of "noise" in your technique.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:40 pm

That is odd considering iirc he is am distance throwing world champ and the tilt at the waist makes the body rotate slower. By putting weight farther away from the axis of the body rotation. Another way of tilting the disc angle without moving extra weight away from the axis of the body rotation aka foot pivot is described in my signature.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby itlnstln » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:47 am

JR wrote:That is odd considering iirc he is am distance throwing world champ and the tilt at the waist makes the body rotate slower. By putting weight farther away from the axis of the body rotation. Another way of tilting the disc angle without moving extra weight away from the axis of the body rotation aka foot pivot is described in my signature.

I tried finding the original quote for context, but that was rather fruitless. I think the idea was focusing on consistency instead of distance. I'm sure MDR's technique might vary some when playing golf vs. distance throwing.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Postby Basil8 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:28 am

Thanks for sharing the post!
Basil8
Noob

Return to Technique