Backhand Inconsistency

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Backhand Inconsistency

Postby JTdisc » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:25 pm

I'm a primary FH thrower, but have been working on my BH lately. I'm starting to get some good distance, and going further than my reliable FH.

The problem I am having is inconsistency with the direction it comes out of my hand. My RHBH throws sometimes will go off about 30 degrees to the right. I'm not talking about turn or OAT, I'm talking about as soon as it leaves the hand, it's off course 30 degrees to the right. With practice and deliberate straight ahead aim, I'm getting better, but every once in a while I send one sailing right.

My guess is that it has something to do with the release and possibly hanging onto the disc a split second too long. Or possibly the grip: I normally use a full power grip and not a fan grip.

Has anyone ever had this problem or seen it? Any possible pointers (without seeing a video of me throwing).

Thanks,
JT
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Re: Backhand Inconsistency

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:47 pm

It sounds like on those times it does that you are getting some griplocking action going on. That happens to me sometimes when my hands are bit tacky.

Another thing that I do to help me throw nice and straight is I use my right should as a pointer for where I want to go. not sure if that is the right way to do it,but that's how I've done it for lots of years.
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby JR » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:55 pm

Starting the forward pull of the arm before the final step lands is a clear problem leading to incrased occurence rate of grip locks. Not being able to accelerate the arm late is a milder risk factor but it happens too. Pulling the disc far off the right side of the body falls in between those two.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Beetard » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:20 pm

I was taught that wherever my head is pointing when I throw is where the disc goes.

I have found that if my head was 30 degrees to the right, I will throw the disc 30 degrees to the right, so by self observation I have confirmed that this is true.

Hopefully that makes sense? Another way I could say it is that as you follow through, make sure you end up looking at right where you're trying to throw instead of going past it. It is easy to go past, then return and think you didn't go past without deliberate effort to notice.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby Star Shark » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:01 pm

The shoulder turn for backhand isn't one smooth motion. You go from perpendicular to target line to on target line and hold there. Your arm motion should carry them around the rest of the way naturally.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby itlnstln » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:31 am

Star Shark wrote:The shoulder turn for backhand isn't one smooth motion. You go from perpendicular to target line to on target line and hold there. Your arm motion should carry them around the rest of the way naturally.

This. When I'm having an off day, it's almost always because I'm over-rotating the shoulders causing poorly-targeted throws and strong arming (stopping the shoulders aids in the arm naturally slinging out). Slowing down and focusing on stopping the shoulders on the line I'm trying to aim on usually gets me back on track.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Stringbean » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:14 am

I find it easier to focus on the release point of the disc rather than head or shoulder direction. I have to have some focus on release angle, so it is easier for me to worry about the angle and release of the disc only. Focusing on shoulder or head direction would likely take away from my focus on the release angle.

Edit: After re-reading the two posts above, shoulder direction is established well prior to release, so both can be a focus but at different times.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Return to Technique