Normal to have shoulder pain with forehand starting out?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Normal to have shoulder pain with forehand starting out?

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:27 pm

My buddy is pretty new to the game of Disc Golf. He's trying to learn forehand because at the moment he can't throw turnovers for tighter dogleg right holes yet.

Every time he throws forehand he lets out a "OW!". I've tried helping him with grip and how to go about throwing it,but he still has the pain.

It's not on the top of his shoulder,but in the front inbetween the joint and the shoulder muscle he says.

If you guys have something I can tell him to help out with making his pain less I'm all ears.
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Re: Normal to have shoulder pain with forehand starting out?

Postby JR » Mon May 05, 2014 10:03 pm

No idea but low power never ripping is good in the beginning. Warm up fully and stretches might help. Muscle imbalance issues should be checked and exercised off. More legs and hips and less arm in the technique could help.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JTdisc » Tue May 06, 2014 6:18 am

That's not normal.

Throwing a lot of hard forehands might leave you sore afterward, but the actual throws shouldn't hurt.

Have your buddy stop throwing forehands and see his doctor sometime.
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Wed May 07, 2014 7:23 pm

Getting him to see a doctor probably aint gonna happen. :lol:

I'll work with him a bit more and see if I can get the pain to stop. If not I'll tell him to stop throwing them.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby Stringbean » Thu May 08, 2014 5:08 pm

It's just like backhand... arm and shoulder pain is ususally the result of strong arming.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:56 pm

Sweet, good to know man. Next time I'm out with them I'll really focus on his form and see if he is throwing it too hard.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby zeramant86 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:09 am

Yeah, I throw mostly forehand, and stretching is an absolute must. It should be anyway, but I see alot of guys that don't bother doing it. My other question is how heavy is the disc he's throwing? Maybe try a lighter weight disc? It does sound like he's trying to strong arm his disc. For holes like this I actually use a blizzard ape 135g. It weighs next to nothing, and always ends and skips out to the right like I want. I don't really use it for much else.
My Bag
Blizzard Ape
Prodigy D3 400G
Champion Groove
Champion Destroyer
Champion Mamba
Champion Glow Valkyrie
Lat64 Saint Opto
DX Viking
Lat64 River Gold
Prodigy F2 Clear
Cheetah DX
Classic Roc R+
Champion Classic Aviar
Omega AP
Wizard SSS
DX Birdie
zeramant86
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Groove

Postby coppertop » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:06 am

Hey UncleBrother... if you figured out what the issue is, come back and let me know. I developed the same sort of pain this spring after a (too long!) field practice session where I had gained about 50 ft. over my former forehand throw. My shoulder has not been the same since. I get less pain if I don't keep my elbow close to the hip, and I've figured out that the big ouch comes when I flick the wrist. The 'equal and opposite" reaction goes back up my arm and torques something in the shoulder socket.

I've been taking it easy (I normally throw RHBH anyway), but it would be nice for this to heal up...
coppertop
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:30 am

Does the wrist flick cause pain with a shorter arm movement? If you have inflamed muscles of tendons you wil need a long rest. Nobody told me that tossing powerful sidearms is impossible to take with my previous injuries so i have had a bum arm since mid May and it is not 100 % yet. And i only got to 300' max. Two weeks and my arm was out. Finally. No more 200'+ sidearms for me ever any more.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby coppertop » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:45 pm

Yes, it was painful even with a short arm motion. I've tried to avoid motions that aggravate it, but it is really the loading that hurts; I still have pretty much full range of motion in the shoulder. Every couple of weeks, I try an easy overhand roller, and if that feels ok, I try a very gentle flick with a lightweight disc. The discomfort has diminished some, but at this point I figure it will be spring before I am ready to ease back into any significant forehand practice. If I can end up with a 150ft forehand shot, I'll be satisfied.
coppertop
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:05 pm

You should be able to get to 150' well enough with the other arm much faster than that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby coppertop » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:56 pm

That is probably worth pursuing, even though I am very right-handed and have other shoulder issues on my left side. Nothing so bad as to keep me from getting 150-180 feet though, if I can just get the coordination together. Sucks getting old, but it beats the alternative!
coppertop
Noob

Postby Monocacy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:18 am

coppertop wrote:. . . If I can end up with a 150ft forehand shot, I'll be satisfied.

Been there, done that with FH shoulder pain. Your description of pain at the front of the shoulder sounds like what I get, which is the result of a long-ago torn rotator cuff muscle. The good news is that I have been able to throw FH approach shots (up to about 200' or so) without pain through stretching and working on my form.

For me, the key is a loose arm, loose wrist, and no follow-through, just a little wrist snap and finish pointing where I want the disc to go. Ricky Wysocki has nothing to worry about from me, but the game is so much simpler when you can throw FH for approaches and short drives.

But it's not worth jacking up your shoulder. Good luck!
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Return to Technique