Help me break 350ft. Video inside.

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Help me break 350ft. Video inside.

Postby rll131 » Tue May 13, 2014 11:45 am

I started playing around 8 months ago I can get a ton of spin on my drives but think Im lacking speed because I can't throw over 350 or so. I'm thinking I need a lot of form help but I don't get why I can hyzer flip something like a new champion Vulcan or Katana but can only throw it 350. The first video link is my drives the second video shows how I grip my drives and trying to copy his technique. Also the way I think I throw is I reach back then pull slow and then try and snap my forearm toward the target pinching my pointer and thumb and the last minute for the rip. Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://youtu.be/HvknilMHRIQ

http://youtu.be/1eeDufBVqos
rll131
Noob

Favorite Disc: roadrunner

Re: Help me break 350ft. Video inside.

Postby bsnone1 » Tue May 13, 2014 2:30 pm

Lot of good stuff here for just beginning. From a quick first look, I think you are spinning out with your hips far too early, let your front foot plant and brace your weight before turning your hips - you're starting your arm moving too early and your bringing the weight from the side instead of from behind.

I'm sure you'll get better advice but that's what I see off the bat.
bsnone1
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Postby JR » Tue May 13, 2014 6:05 pm

Well walking speed and equally mellow arm speed is different to running and an arm whip.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby rll131 » Wed May 14, 2014 7:35 am

You both confused me lol. I'm still pretty new to the sport are you saying I'm starting my pull before I shift my weight into the throw. Also rotating to early?
rll131
Noob

Postby Stringbean » Wed May 14, 2014 1:26 pm

I think your timing looks pretty good, it's just a matter of learning to use your core to generate more power. You aren't using your hips at all. There should be separation between the rotation of your hips and the rotation of your torso... your body is rotating at the same time which is what bsnone1 mentioned when he said you are spinning out with your hips.

Try to think of your left leg as a gate that swings towards your target. As your left leg is swinging: 1. keep your right foot at a 90 degree angle relative to the target; 2. keep your core loose and lagging behind the rotation of your hips (this creates the shoulder pause that is often mentioned in other threads); 3. Allow all of your body weight to drop onto the heel of your plant foot... once the disc reaches your right pec, that is when you start to accelerate with your core and chop your elbow forward.

Other things that should help add distance... get your elbow higher so that it is closer to the same plane as your shoulder... you can drop your right shoulder lower if the pull through feels too high. Also keep your right elbow away from your body while bringing the disc close to your chest. The disc shouldn't trail directly behind your elbow. And try to get your left arm closer to your belly so that it doesn't create drag and slow your rotation.

Don't try to change all of this at once... focus on one thing and do it until it becomes automatic. Then try to incorporate other changes.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby JR » Wed May 14, 2014 7:15 pm

Erm in count 1 the right foot can be 180 degrees pointed away from the target for a longer reach back that has the potential of a longer throw. Provided your timing and balance work then. It is hard to learn at first for most and can take months of field work.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Stringbean » Wed May 14, 2014 11:57 pm

When I said 90 degree angle, I meant after the heal has hit the ground.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby rll131 » Thu May 15, 2014 3:22 pm

String bean that helps out a lot . Are you saying I need to wait on my pull a little longer and rotate the hips first followed by the toros. I defenetly can see that my hips and torso rotate at the same time. Also should I drop my right shoulder lower or raise my elbow. Am I pulling the disc through on the right spot of my body?

Here is the same video in slomo that might help you guys pick at me some more lol. Great stuff though really appreciate guys.
http://youtu.be/Xkowvd6JJVk
rll131
Noob

Postby JR » Thu May 15, 2014 8:31 pm

My phone lost the post i was typing so here goes again.

Bend the knees and get the front of the disc down and low shots under branches were never easier. Unfortunately getting the nose down is harder than with higher pulls. The hips power the throw better though and many can learn to pull at different heights. Anatomical differences might preclude some heights but everyone needs to test what works best. Distance and spin are better indicators than what feels tight or unnatural. What does comfort mean vs results especially when the comfort will get better over time with practice and adjustment of the body.

There are different techniques that have different pros and cons so it is better to have an accuracy form and distance form. According to world champ Stokely and i agree. What i wrote in my signature describes arm pulling with elbow leading disc close to the torso all the way. This form sacrifices distance for added accuracy and co sistency to about 90 % power where the errors start to mount so it might be a good idea to switch to a distance form. For example Voigt form with running from back right to front left and reaching back with the arm way to the left side of the tee. And the disc moves far off the left pec and close to the right. That form is not as accurate or consistent until distances of over 90% power with the control form. Only because control form gets worse from too much power. Voigt form is hard to aim with visually.

You should stop the rotation ans back to front movement of the right leg in the final step for a while. Starting when the ball of foot rises up. That helps the hips twist and the shoulders turn. The tension of the right leg needs to be released after the disc rips out to get a full follow through that does not sap power and does not twist the joints. Avoiding injury in the long term.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby rll131 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:13 am

New video. I've been working a lot on throwing hyzer flat and anyhyzer angles which is helping a lot. I used to not be able to drive putters I would just turn and burn them now I'm throwing them great without oat. Also I've been working on not just spinning open with my left foot and shifting my weight. Any more tips I'm still topping out around 350 I'd say but I'm almost throwing my z buzz 300.

http://youtu.be/ebQAMGeI58U
rll131
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:34 am

Before reachnig back farther by turning the head away from the target farther you should test what happens with planting the final step 90-180 degrees away from the target. You seem to spin out a little still so even more bracing would help probably. 300' Buzz is neough for 400' with low to mid 160s ESP and Z Nukes when the height is right and the nose is not ip. I would push the wrist down more to see if that helps and also adjust the disc in the grip by keeping the front of the disc low and raising the rear side close to or to the innermost joint of the thumb. It is hard to say from a slo mo videoa but i think you can add a lot more speed to the steps and when you can pull it off without messing up balance and timing plus other parts of your technique you'll gain distance.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Technique