Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Vi

Postby stormseeker75 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:38 pm

I will try just the weight shift to start while using the right pec. What do you mean about making the disc slam into the palm of your hand?
stormseeker75
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hornet, Avenger SS

Postby Stringbean » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:47 am

Keep your hand/wrist loose... when your elbow stops, your wrist should bend inwards causing the disc to slam into your palm.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby itlnstln » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:12 am

Stringbean wrote:Keep your hand/wrist loose... when your elbow stops, your wrist should bend inwards causing the disc to slam into your palm.

While correct, it may be a little clearer by mentioning that the disc should/may also come in contact with the inside of the forearm. My palm is always on the disc; I have small hands, though.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby stormseeker75 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:02 am

Thinking about that description, it sound like I'm holding the disc WAY too tight. I've read that I should be pinching with the thumb and index finger (normal power grip).

This is a tough idea to grasp....hold tight, but not rigid.
stormseeker75
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:04 pm

You could start with a loose grip to ensure the arm muscles move as fast as possible pinching tight to avoid the disc slipping out in the pivot. The timing is hellahard make no mistake about it and not everyone succeeds at it despite trying for a long time. Have fun :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Stringbean » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:22 pm

itlnstln wrote:
Stringbean wrote:Keep your hand/wrist loose... when your elbow stops, your wrist should bend inwards causing the disc to slam into your palm.

While correct, it may be a little clearer by mentioning that the disc should/may also come in contact with the inside of the forearm. My palm is always on the disc; I have small hands, though.

Good point. I have big hands and my once broken wrist doesn't flex nearly enough for the disc to touch my forearm.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby stormseeker75 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:17 am

So I've been trying to play with just right pec throws and I'm getting better. Max distance is about 150 on a really good throw. I'm probably closer to 100 most of the time. But this is all just arm and shoulder. I'm encountering a problem where the disc is coming out in a variety of different points so I'm wildly inconsistent on release. I'm confident that will come. Any suggestions to help? I've read that throwing mids should be a release whereas a driver should be a rip off the fingers. Is this accurate?

I did have one magic moment where I actually felt the disc rip off my fingers and it had a ton of spin so I did something right. I'm getting there. This may be a slower process than I had hoped for, but I think I'm on the right track.
stormseeker75
Noob

Postby Timko » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:49 am

All the throws should rip off the fingers. Practice and experience will help you get more consistent. It just comes with time.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby stormseeker75 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:59 am

Even the mids? How does that work when you let up to throw a shorter shot? It doesn't strike me that the disc would want to come out as easily.
stormseeker75
Noob

Postby Timko » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:54 pm

Ok, I get what you're asking now. So for like a 50' shot where you want to put it under the basket?

I actually change my grip up to do those type of shots. I use a fan grip that's a bit loser and just focus on the pivot of the disc. Generally, I hold the disc farther from my body, but it still rips off my hand. But the looser grip means the disc ejects with less speed while still spinning. That way, it just sits down when it lands.

One of the other things you can do is change the height and line your throwing to control range. For approaches, I prefer to throw an anhyzer as it's dropping toward the ground. What types of lines are you trying to throw for these short shots?
Timko

Postby stormseeker75 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:10 pm

I like to throw hyzers (RHBH) for short approach shots so it sounds like we're doing the same kind of thing.

Just got back from playing a round. I got the idea of the "elbow punch" and did great for 3 holes. I don't know if I got tired or what, but my form that was great for 3 holes went to crap. And then I tried to overdo it and things got bad.

I think I did stumble upon something I've done wrong for quite a while. I was never pulling tight enough across my chest which is definitely why I didn't ever get snap.

So now I'm thinking my grip was wrong because I adjusted it so the disc would pivot in my hand and that seemed to be better.

Time to go watch Dan's video for the 894th time.
stormseeker75
Noob

Postby Timko » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:35 pm

The pivot is by far the most important part of the throw.

99.9% of people aren't going to throw as far as Dan. He's blessed with insane arm speed, grip, and touch. But focusing on the fundementals of the pivot and moving backwards from that will teach you a good stroke.

There's a video that Bradley Walker made a long time ago where he cut out a place for his hand and drew an arrow on the disc. I think this explains the concept of the pivot better than any I've seen. I use it when teaching people to throw.

Timko

Postby Timko » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:40 pm

Also, these.

Timko

Postby stormseeker75 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:03 pm

You're the man! I'm going to watch these and play on Saturday. I'll get back to you when I'm done.
stormseeker75
Noob

Postby stormseeker75 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:49 am

Watching the Snap video #1, Bradley makes it sound like he's actively flinging his wrist to throw the outside edge of the disc. I thought that was supposed to be one of those things that you're not supposed to do, but it just sort of happens?
stormseeker75
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Technique