Overmolds and Moment of Inertia

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Overmolds and Moment of Inertia

Postby Stringbean » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:19 am

I have been thinking about this as overmolds gain more and more popularity. I don't think it is widely understood that discs with a higher moment of inertia (more weight in the rim) fly like shit when thrown with lower spin rate and thus make the disc less versatile. On the plus side, a higher rate of spin is maintained througout the flight which elongates the discs window of stability (straighter flight at high and low speed). However, with proper technique a disc with a lower moment of inertia can still be thrown with a greater amount of spin and match the elongated stability of a disc with a higher moment of inertia.

In essence are overmolds (more specifically the "gyro effect") a bandaid for those that haven't learned to throw with a lot of spin? I still think overmolds are valuable in other ways but more so due to the ability to combine a tacky rim with a firm flight plate (or vice versa).
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Re: Overmolds and Moment of Inertia

Postby Stringbean » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:57 am

Stringbean wrote:I have been thinking about this as overmolds gain more and more popularity. I don't think it is widely understood that discs with a higher moment of inertia (more weight in the rim) fly like shit when thrown with lower spin rate and thus make the disc less versatile. On the plus side, a higher rate of spin is maintained througout the flight which elongates the discs window of stability (straighter flight at high and low speed). However, with proper technique a disc with a lower moment of inertia can still be thrown with a greater amount of spin and match the elongated stability of a disc with a higher moment of inertia.

In essence are overmolds (more specifically the "gyro effect") a bandaid for those that haven't learned to throw with a lot of spin? I still think overmolds are valuable in other ways but more so due to the ability to combine a tacky rim with a firm flight plate (or vice versa).

Forgot to mention, MVP discs are slick in the hand and are pretty much useless. :twisted:
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Postby Leopard » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:09 am

ohhhh shiiiit you totally got a rise out of people
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby JR » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:12 pm

You mean like from your avatar Leopard? :D
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:09 am

I know this, my MVP stuff only flies well when I anny them. I know I get more spin out of an anny release. On normal or hyzer releases, my MVP discs drop out of the sky compared to other discs of similar speed and stability. Mine are worthless for low ceiling shots. Way too much drop.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby keltik » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:00 am

MikeC does do a lot of vids on big open holes/shots... where did I put my tinfoil hat?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:29 am

To me there is little problem in the spin of the overmolded discs. I may not have the least amount of spin in the world but is certainly do not have the most and at say 17-20 revs per second that i can generate overmolded discs fly straight for me so i do not see problems with them for me. I have gotte nslips out of my Atlas and that has to drop the spin rate and guess what it fades earlier and is left and short. No surprise so would be a reguilar disc as well so no difference. Regular discs have power/nose angle/spin requirements too so what else is new. The Innova overmolded discs do not require anything out of the ordinary for a player that knows the basics and can perform them ok. So i do not see MOI requirements as a specific distinguishing factor between overmolded discs as a class vs regular discs because similar reqirements exist for every disc and some regular discs are just as, if not even more, hungry for mad amounts of spin.

Both overmolded and regular discs need skills to throw them properly and it is more the indian than the arrow. So to me this thread is a non issue in practical terms of disc buying or disc selection on a course.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:14 am

And IIRC JHern pretty much showed that overmolded, "gyroscopic" discs have even in an optimal case a very small effect on the flight of the disc no matter what you do.

Still, I throw the MVP discs I throw because they fly really, really well, and after the first run is dealt with the consistency has been fairly amazing to boot (though less so with the drivers).
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Marauder » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:12 pm

I find MVP discs to expose my bad form rather than try to hide it, honestly. When I throw a bad shot I quickly know it. Then I hang my head in frustration and go back home.
Marauder
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Amp

Postby Stringbean » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:48 pm

I was pretty much talking out of my ass in the original post. I loved the initial run of MVP shocks. The Tangent is great for straight line throws and handles the wind really well. It kind of dies out on anhyzers though. I owned a Volt but it was really flippy for some reason. The Anode is pretty much the only disc that supports the theory in my original post. I had to put a lot of spin on it to make it fly well. It was terrible for push putts.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Return to General Discussion