Longer comet

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Longer comet

Postby riltim » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:16 am

Is there a disc out there that could be considered a longer comet? I'm trying out a JLS for this roll, and it seems to work OK, but I'm hoping for something better. Any thoughts?
SOLF | Q/JLS | Buzzz | Comet | Wizard
riltim
Noob
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: Easton, PA
Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: Longer comet

Postby keltik » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:39 am

what is the Comet to you? What about the Comet do you want the driver disc to emulate? The control? the line shaping? the floaty nails straight flight?

I would suggest getting a flippy driver and throw it smoothly.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 3382
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: High Point NC
Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: Longer comet

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:56 am

A newish pro leopard or a moderately broken in river would both be pretty close I would think.
42
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:44 am
Location: In my own way
Favorite Disc: OLF

Re: Longer comet

Postby JeffzeNub » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:08 am

riltim wrote:Is there a disc out there that could be considered a longer comet? I'm trying out a JLS for this roll, and it seems to work OK, but I'm hoping for something better. Any thoughts?


I know exactly what you are talking about. The 2 comments above are pretty spot on, but you might not get the flight path you want straight out of the box so give it some time to beat in a little bit.

A Discraft XL is what answered this question for me, i bought a z plastic one though so it took about 4 months before it finally started to hold the line, but if I had bought it in elite x it probably wouldnt have taken as long
JeffzeNub
Noob
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:25 pm
Location: Chucktown, SC
Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: Longer comet

Postby riltim » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:20 am

keltik wrote:what is the Comet to you? What about the Comet do you want the driver disc to emulate? The control? the line shaping? the floaty nails straight flight?

I would suggest getting a flippy driver and throw it smoothly.

I want it to emulate all of the above. If the wind isn't howling the comet is the one disc that I can throw on any line and with complete control. When it's in my hand my confidence is at 110%, haven't thrown a driver that makes me feel the same.
SOLF | Q/JLS | Buzzz | Comet | Wizard
riltim
Noob
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: Easton, PA
Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: Longer comet

Postby riltim » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:22 am

discmonkey42 wrote:A newish pro leopard or a moderately broken in river would both be pretty close I would think.

I used to throw rivers and I have a nice perfectly beat in pink one in my basement. I'll have to dig it out and throw it a bit. I remember dumping them to grip issues but maybe that was due to the winter weather.
SOLF | Q/JLS | Buzzz | Comet | Wizard
riltim
Noob
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: Easton, PA
Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: Longer comet

Postby riltim » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:24 am

JeffzeNub wrote:
riltim wrote:Is there a disc out there that could be considered a longer comet? I'm trying out a JLS for this roll, and it seems to work OK, but I'm hoping for something better. Any thoughts?


I know exactly what you are talking about. The 2 comments above are pretty spot on, but you might not get the flight path you want straight out of the box so give it some time to beat in a little bit.

A Discraft XL is what answered this question for me, i bought a z plastic one though so it took about 4 months before it finally started to hold the line, but if I had bought it in elite x it probably wouldnt have taken as long

I have a 167 ESP XL that's in pretty good shape sitting in my basement. Maybe I'll dig that out and give it a whirl and pair it with an elite x XL if works out.
SOLF | Q/JLS | Buzzz | Comet | Wizard
riltim
Noob
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: Easton, PA
Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: Longer comet

Postby JeffzeNub » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:33 am

Sounds like your basement has a pretty decent bag going on down there...lol
JeffzeNub
Noob
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:25 pm
Location: Chucktown, SC
Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: Longer comet

Postby riltim » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:43 am

Hey, it took me a long time and a lot of money to realize the discs aren't the reason I throw so poorly.....
SOLF | Q/JLS | Buzzz | Comet | Wizard
riltim
Noob
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: Easton, PA
Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: Longer comet

Postby money 21 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:35 am

elite x cyclone. or a pro valk.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1811
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:18 pm
Favorite Disc: Z XS

Re: Longer comet

Postby keltik » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:14 pm

ESP XLs especially the domier ones are almost exactly what you want.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 3382
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: High Point NC
Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: Longer comet

Postby PMantle » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:21 pm

money 21 wrote:elite x cyclone.

Two of those in my workshop. :D
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:11 am
Location: Alexandria, La.
Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: Longer comet

Postby Flipflat » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:37 pm

S-FD, on the domey side, broken-in.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1512
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:01 pm
Location: Detroitish
Favorite Disc: buzzz

Re: Longer comet

Postby jubuttib » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:56 pm

For me? Probably a particularly good, slightly seasoned DX TB. Has that same kind of straight, glidey, neutral flight.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Longer comet

Postby Monocacy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:39 pm

keltik wrote:I would suggest getting a flippy driver and throw it smoothly.

This. For me, Diamond or Mamba serves this role (depending on distance needed). Seasoned DX Teebird works well, too.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 550
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:05 pm
Location: Maryland
Favorite Disc: Clutch

Next

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests