That's a lot of putters :lol:
Tern|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Comet|Suspect|Judge|Wizard|Magic

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Re: The Judge

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:48 pm

I finally got my Putters and was able to get some work in with them at the Local pitch and putt course.

Man these are the best putters I have ever used. The Classic Blend plastic is hands down the best plastic I have ever held in my hands. Very grippy and firm,but with a very pliable flight plate. It just increases your confidence throwing them.

I can understand now why Eric McCabe uses them.

These thing are good for regular putts,straddle putts and when I turbo putted with them I felt like a kid in a candy store. Hands down the best turbo putting putter ever made. Hell I would have to say best putting putter period.I was hitting some long putts with ease and those same putts I would struggle with my Wizards,or would have to jump putt. that extra glide it has just carries it to chains a bit better for me.

I went back to a spin type putt where my hand is flat and when I release the disc you can draw a straight line between my hand and the basket. I never could really putt that way with the Wizards so I had to use the other way.

One thing my wizards do have over them is Driving. I like the whole float and drop that I'm use to from the wizards. The Judges kind of just want to get there on a B-Line. So my wizards are still my driving putters.

The only downside is they bruise up quite a bit. I only used them for one day maybe made a total of maybe 80 putts with them?Kid of a rough estimate. They look like I have had them for more than a week. It hasn't messed with the feel of the disc though,which is a plus for me.

So all in all this is one of the best purchases I have made in disc golf. the better confidence you have in putting the better all around your game will be. That's just how I see it. If you guys have never tried a Judge you need to try one.I warn you though you may get hooked. I am for sure gonna order me some more when I get the funds :D

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby PMantle » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:14 am

I never drive with putters, so I never understand the driving putter talk.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JR » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:07 am

It sounds like an area of disc golf you need to explore more. You might like it.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:40 am

I either can't throw them far enough or bendy enough on the courses I play. On my main course, only #1 would be putter territory, but I've since gone to a forehand Suspect there.

If I play the short course across the river, sure, I use putters off the tee a bit, but I rarely play that one, and only recently figured out that I could use them there.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby BentElbow11 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:20 am

Gotta have the course for driving with putters, JR. I can sympathize with PMantle because the 2 main courses I play have no short holes, and the majority are 400+ ft. Shortest hole on the 2 courses is 290 ft. It's a bummer, little variety. There is one heavily forested and short/technical course in the nearby mountains, but it's off the beaten track and not easy to get to.

PMantle: you can practice driving with putters at a field...or hit up that shorter course more.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby PMantle » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:02 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:
PMantle: you can practice driving with putters at a field...or hit up that shorter course more.
True. I am not playing many lunch rounds these days because of shoulder issues, but if I get over those, I'll start playing a short course where I am guessing I'll drive with a putter on 6 of the 9 holes.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:11 pm

Man I wish we had some courses like that. well an hour and 15 minutes away there is,but gas isn't cheap and my main 2 courses are only 20 to 25 minutes away. so i go to those lol

We have very few long holes maybe 5 over 390ft. The rest are from 215ft to around 360ishft. So knowing how to drive with a putter helps out a ton.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:31 pm

Here are the hole lengths of one of the courses I mentioned:

535', 465', 370', 500', 485', 295', 440', 410', 505'

Yes, it's only 9 holes, and they could easily make it into an 18 hole course with that amount of length. 9 holes gets old quick, especially with virtually every drive needing a full power rip, come what may.

Driving with a putter? LOL!

The other course has barely shorter hole lengths, and is also 9 holes. But it's very hilly, with more than half the holes with elevated tees.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:02 am

Depending on the driving distance even those long courses can benefit from long putter throws in the second throws. It is not about when you throw far with a putter but when it gives you a better score. You may need a third throw that is 250'+ that can give you the best chance of a lower score if you use a putter. There are escape shots and nobody likes them but the needs arises every now and then.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby BentElbow11 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:43 am

I use putters out to about 150' for approach. Beyond that it's a midrange. For long second shots(fairway drives), I'm using a fairway driver. There's no way I'll use a putter off the tee on 400-500' holes, that would be idiotic. Same goes for a midrange at that distance.

I'd love to have some 200'ish holes mixed in at the 2 courses I play regularly, but that's just not the case. When I occasionally travel and play courses with a mix of long and short holes, it's a different story, and nice to finally be able to disc down.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby PMantle » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:18 pm

I really don't know distances in feet. I guess I could use my golf brain and convert. Instead, i just know when to pull what. I throw better when I throw fairly hard, so I pull the slowest disc I think I can get there. That mean a shit-ton of throws with an Opto Pure, and a good many with my Warden. My mids do not get used a whole lot on approaches.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby BentElbow11 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:30 pm

I prefer not to try and power up a putter on long approach shots. That said, I'll always choose a putter over a mid for approach if it can get there. You know, flat soft landing, no skip.

I think JR wants us to try driving putters 400 ft, just to improve our skills. :wink:
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby PMantle » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:05 pm

He needs to get in line. I have 47 people telling me that at dgcr.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby BentElbow11 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:33 pm

People take things to extremes sometimes.

DGCR gets pretty screwy. The plastic worshippers and brand fanboys. MVP especially, LOL. They can't seem to make a driver with any dome whatsoever, which makes them fly like cow chips, but noobs go crazy over the stuff. I do like their mids though.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment