midrange discs over-rated ??

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:14 pm

matt wrote:u know it is about style and not being a conformist. i know guys that approach with a forehand skip-shot monster and take peoples money all day. to me throwing a 180 midrange is boring. u throw it and it goes straight and low and drops, big deal. i like to watch a disc move around and glide. i aint all crazy about playin tournaments and crunching numbers when i play, i play for fun. i am still learning and if i feel the need i will reach for a shark probly. for the record i threw 350' with a 180 shark (my first disc) the first time i played. im naturally athletic and i work out bitches!

wha
wha
whaaaaa
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby mgoofy24 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:15 pm

All so argumentative!... Can't we all just...Roc along? ;) ;)

I'm currently beating a few Rocs into submission and I will reach for my Buzzes on most anny drives because my Rocs are still too stable.

I only throw my 180 Roc about 260' on a Hyzer-Flip line (very minimal Hyzer at the start), and it does that job very well. But, as many have said before, I would rather throw a roc at 95-100% than taking out my fairway drivers (Roadrunner, Cyclone) when I can.
mgoofy24
Tree Magnet

Postby Jerry R » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:19 pm

matt wrote:u know it is about style and not being a conformist.

I think I'll be stylish and nonconformist and drive on the left-hand side of the street on my way home tonight. Hey, I might not get the best results, but I'll look good doing it. Oh, and I think I'll post a thread about it on a driver's education forum so some new drivers can be distracted from experienced teachers with proven resuls.
Jerry R
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Q Sentinel

Postby matchu » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:20 pm

yeah, I like to use my z predators for short anhyzers
Last edited by matchu on Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Synchronize the why’s, the if’s the lies. Shake and sift through the mess. Digress the flesh left is our disguise.

matchu
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:21 pm

this is a bad thread.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby mgoofy24 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:24 pm

Frank_Delicious wrote:this is a bad thread.

/agreed
mgoofy24
Tree Magnet

Postby mgoofy24 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:25 pm

Jerry R wrote:I think I'll be stylish and nonconformist and drive on the left-hand side of the street on my way home tonight. Hey, I might not get the best results, but I'll look good doing it. Oh, and I think I'll post a thread about it on a driver's education forum so some new drivers can be distracted from experienced teachers with proven resuls.

HA!! this made me laugh :) Thank you for making my morning better, hehe :)
mgoofy24
Tree Magnet

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:25 pm

Maybe lock-off was right.............
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Z BUZZZ

Postby mgoofy24 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:34 pm

matt wrote:u know it is about style and not being a conformist. i know guys that approach with a forehand skip-shot monster and take peoples money all day. to me throwing a 180 midrange is boring. u throw it and it goes straight and low and drops, big deal. i like to watch a disc move around and glide. i aint all crazy about playin tournaments and crunching numbers when i play, i play for fun. i am still learning and if i feel the need i will reach for a shark probly. for the record i threw 350' with a 180 shark (my first disc) the first time i played. im naturally athletic and i work out bitches!

Relating this to ball golf, a few examples:

This is like when there are two lines to a putt, one that breaks 6", and the other where you play 30' of break by putting up a hill and letting it come down on the triple break slope. OR, hitting a 70% punch 5-iron instead of a 9 because you like watching the lower ball flight, never mind the lack of backspin because you're hitting at 70%, OR hitting an explosion shot from a bunker when you have a clean lie (and can easily play a normal bunker shot) because you like to watch the sand flying onto the green...

In all seriousness, I don't want to tell you how to play. It is up to each person how they play the game. If you like throwing for style, do so, but it is disturbing that you continue to argue and drone on and on when all the arguments have been made as to why Mids are good to carry, and you have not yet made an argument as to WHY fairway drivers are better without relating back to your personal style/playing choices.
mgoofy24
Tree Magnet

Postby wdb4th » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:39 pm

Here is something that I know doesn't work for everyone but hey... it works for me. I try to have 3 releases for both forehand and backhand shots. Which means grabbing the right disc. I am way more comfortable throwing my Backbone from outside 100' than I am my wizard. I don't like to throw a midrange or putter for a short drive that is straight, I have a t-bone I can do that with.

That is just me though, drivers off the tee (mostly) mids to get me inside 40' and putters in the basket.

or course if I could throw my driver into the basket off the tee then I wouldn't need midranges or putters. :D
Throw Quest AT!

Bullard Disc Golf Design
wdb4th
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beat Proto Magic

Postby Timko » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:55 pm

I was a going to post something....then I felt dumber just for reading this thread.

But since I'm already dumber, I may as well say something?

The top pros like to play for fun, but they also like to win. So if you were to ask Kenny, Barry, Nate, or any other top pro which disc they simply couldn't do without, they would probably say their midranges. You can be a non-conformist all you want, but you can't argue with the track record and success of large diameter midranges over the years.

Seriously, it's a simple as that.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby jamsisjams » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:02 pm

When I first played I didn't use midranges, either. Mainly because I didn't own one. I used my drivers for all my approach shots and I admit that it was cool as all get out to see it helix in the air. To achieve that shot, however, I had to use a certain amount of touch and purposely torque the disc over/throw with a lot of anhyzer. With midranges, I can use the same smooth technique that I drive with, so long as the lie allows. And if the lie doesn't allow it, well, that's because I've put myself into one hell of a situation where I probably have to punch through branches or shoot an overhand shot. Furthermore, drivers take a lot more snap than a midrange so I can save myself some energy, usually, when I throw a midrange over throwing a driver.
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Postby matt » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:13 pm

i got what i wanted, thanks for the 411 guys. im all about minimalism here and am still feeling comfy throwin my cheetah/aviar combo for shots under 325. u gotta draw the line somewhere instead of havin too many discs overlappin imo. simplicity and necessity is where its at
matt

Postby pointdisc » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:25 pm

(BTW, I use a star Destroyer for everything)

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby Dig It » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:30 pm

matt wrote: im naturally athletic and i work out bitches!

Which muscle group is it, when worked out, causes your mind to snap shut and refute players advice no matter how flawless the logic?
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment