Whats with this disc?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Whats with this disc?

Postby Sidearm » Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:57 pm

Hi all.
I need some help.

I'm not a long time player this is my second year.

I have this Teebird, yea it's CE, but, it's way different from the other types of Teebirds that I own.
The bottom edge of the lip is flat. Well, is does angle down but there is No curve to it at all.

My Pro Teebird has curve at the bottom edge. My Champion Teebird has curve there also.
I don't have one in DX so I can't say if that does or not.

So I checked Every disc I have and, with the exception of the putters, they all have some curve to the bottom edge. Some more and some less but they all have some. But not this one.

I though it might be just a CE thing so I compared my CE Firebird to my Champion Firebird and the bottom edge of the lip are identical on both of them. So it's not just a CE thing.

No one local has any CE left so I'll have to get one online.
So here's my question. How can I identify this to be sure to get another with the same bottom edge?
Sidearm
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:11 pm

as for the disc you are describing, i think you have an early (1st through 4th run) CE teebird TL model. the "L" variant was designed to take some stability off of discs and was used on discs in the eagle family of drivers (eagle, teebird, firebird). basically, each of these molds has 3 pieces to it, and they swapped out 1 part with that part of the leopard mold. the result was a disc that was smooth on the nose vs. the notched wing of the standard models. the CE TL's have not been available since early 2002, so the chances of you finding another is slim unless you are willing to pay $25 or more for a disc for either an old one or one of the candy fund raiser discs (CFR) that usually carry a tag of $20-25 each. the old special edition teebird is the same way, although supposedly this mold will be back in standard production in the pro line.

there have been firebird FL, eagle EL, and teebird TL, although not all of them were marked with an L on it.

hope this could help.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Sidearm » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:26 pm

Thank you Blake, that helped a lot.

I do like the feel of CE best. But, As you said, I'll also feel it in my wallet.
To me the Pro plastic feels slightly stiffer than the Candy but closer to what I like.
So, rather than fan the flames in the auctions wars for CE maybe I'll wait a bit and see if Innova does a run of the Special Edition Teebird/Leapord mold in Pro plastic.

I think I heard chain. C YA
Sidearm
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:48 pm

glad i could help clear things up.

as for discs that fly somewhat like a TL,

Z XL
DX Eagle
X Cyclone
DX Gazelle

word on the street is that cam todd who used to throw TL's during his 2001 championship run is now saying that Z XL's are as good as or better than any TL out there. not sure if i agree completely but the Z XL isn't too far off of the more stable of the old CE TL's.
Blake_T

Re: Whats with this disc?

Postby curt » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:27 pm

Blake,

is there a big difference between the CE TL that he's talking about and the star TLs Innova produces today? (I just find it weird that you didn't mention these either, and wonder if there's a reason).
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby garublador » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:35 pm

curt wrote:Blake,

is there a big difference between the CE TL that he's talking about and the star TLs Innova produces today? (I just find it weird that you didn't mention these either, and wonder if there's a reason).
I'm going to guess the reason he didn't mention them was that they hadn't come out yet and, IIRC, Star plastic didn't exist at the time. ;)
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:59 pm

:D
Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:11 pm
Blake_T

Return to Equipment