The "Incomplete" Secret Technique

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The "Incomplete" Secret Technique

Postby SpyderPride » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com/user/spyderpride

Videos uploaded to youtube without permission. Just let me know if anything is wrong and I will attempt to remedy the issue. To Blake specifically, let me know if you want things changed or if you want the videos taken down. I believe you have the ability to send me an email, so do that for the quickest response.

Enjoy :)
Videos of Blake T's revolutionary snap drills on my YouTube channel, reading and discussion HERE
SpyderPride
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Blake_T » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:54 am

the index finger is not what makes the disc launch from the hand. the index and pinch mostly "guide" and "direct" the movement of the disc through the late part of the throw. the ejection is initiated by the extension of the wrist and jump off the palm and the index/thumb pinch tugs along the rim giving an extra bit onto the throw (assuming you are full hitting it and not half hitting it). this is the out motion as mentioned in the not yet completed part 4.

the grip doesn't have to be nearly as strong as you think it does because by the time the disc is pivoting it's as good as gone. the goal isn't to hang onto it through the pivot, it is to give it extra juice INTO the pivot.

that bit of extra juice is responsible for like 50-80' of line drive power, which may seem stupid and unrealistic but it's the truth :P this is what separates the 430-450' half-hitters vs. the 480-530' full hitters. a little inch-long tug of the pinch does that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the plate drill (now attempt #5 at part 4):
if you sit in front of a an upside-down domey disc on a table, the point on the disc closest to you being 6 o'clock and the point farthest away from you being 12 o'clock, pinch your index and thumb on the edge of the disc at 12 o'clock. your wrist should be slightly curled around the outer edge. with a circular motion give a firm tug in the clockwise direction.

that's a similar kind of feel to the "full hit" portion of the throw has that happens at the end of the hammer-in. if you tug it with acceleration and get beyond 3 o'clock you should feel the wrist extend naturally.

repeat the drill spinning disc right-side up with your index on the rim.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SpyderPride: just make sure to credit it to disc golf review (a link would be super) and to me if possible. I don't care if you use my last name or not, but if you are going to, please spell it correctly :P a credit to Blake T would be fine.

thanks for taking care of something i was too lazy to do. i can forward you higher res ones if you want to upload em. hit me with an email and i can send em as an attachment. i did the smallest version possible to avoid dgr's bandwidth being ravaged.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby SpyderPride » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:26 am

Added descriptions giving credit to Blake and DGR along with links. Check it out and see if anything else needs changing. If anyone knows how to edit the description and tags/etc of several videos at once, please let me know. Also let me know if there is a good way to link them together in a series, especially if this will help with batch editing.

I'm happy to help, the information on this site has made my new favorite sport a lot more enjoyable.
Videos of Blake T's revolutionary snap drills on my YouTube channel, reading and discussion HERE
SpyderPride
Noob

Postby SpyderPride » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:30 am

Blake_T wrote:thanks for taking care of something i was too lazy to do.

I am pretty sure you are one of the least lazy people in disc golf, what with all the work and writing you have done on it. You are certainly under-compensated for everything you have done... thanks again.
SpyderPride
Noob

Postby Timko » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:26 am

SpyderPride wrote:
Blake_T wrote:thanks for taking care of something i was too lazy to do.

I am pretty sure you are one of the least lazy people in disc golf, what with all the work and writing you have done on it. You are certainly under-compensated for everything you have done... thanks again.

No, Blake is pretty lazy.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Timko » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:26 am

But Smart.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby LBlackburn » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:54 am

Thanks Blake very much for this technique and all of your hard work. But so far, I'm finding the pound the hammer drill to be as elusive as getting a good throw. I'm still stuck on the first drill. I have read-watched-read-watched-to death and taped up my finger and tried for a long time (on two separate days) but I can't get the "feeling." I'm not getting any bounce or recoil, the disc sometimes slips out of my hand, sometimes I get a pain in my hand, and sometimes the disc shifts in my grip. Is anyone else having as much trouble as I am? I'm not giving up yet, but I thought this was supposed to be "easy." Don't get me wrong...I'm not complaining. I know I just suck.
LBlackburn
Noob

Favorite Disc: Tee-Bird

Postby Blake_T » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:56 am

the recoil happens when:
1) the motion stops
2) you have correctly shifted the weight of the disc

the pain in your hand says you're strong-arming it hard and out of control.

worry more about the feel than on trying to copy my video. that is why i don't like people trying to learn from videos. you'll find your own way that may be very different from what mine looks like.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby JR » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:46 am

Slowing down may help especially for the pain. Try to let the arm drop under gravity alone with the disc vertical until the arm is almost straightened say 8" short of the arm being straight and then whip the wrist from where ever it is to as far as it will go but only after warming up and stretching the arm. See if you can under muscle power to actively stop the wrist whip just before the maximum extension or just missing it and allowing the rest of the stopping to come from the arm not going farther any more. If you don't get recoil try to retard the onset of the active stopping getting more tendon bounce from the tendons being stretched. Rinse and repeat until you get enough acceleration late enough to really stretch the wrist area tendons so that they will retract to normal length fast enough to create a recoiling motion to the hand so that the wrist will quickly return to straightish.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Dr. Burd » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:52 am

The fake grip didn't really work for me either. Try a bonapane grip and then move to a two-finger FH grip, this gave the disc more support and allowed me to feel a fluid pivot.
The Burd's Trade List | Aviar - Zone - Buzzz - XS - Teebird - Force
Dr. Burd
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby SpyderPride » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:19 pm

Higher resolution videos uploaded, low res vids deleted. Update your bookmarks if necessary...
SpyderPride
Noob

Postby Parks » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:13 pm

Instead of taping your index finger for the fake grip, I've found that reversing the disc for the overhand and sidearm drills helps a lot. Basically, the dome is facing outward like with a thumber, instead of the currently pictured inward facing dome.

The fake grip doesn't care which way the disc is facing for most rims.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby USAnarchy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:28 pm

Parks wrote:Instead of taping your index finger for the fake grip, I've found that reversing the disc for the overhand and sidearm drills helps a lot. Basically, the dome is facing outward like with a thumber, instead of the currently pictured inward facing dome.

The fake grip doesn't care which way the disc is facing for most rims.

That's what i do at work since all I have there is a Teebird.
Accuracy is Slow. Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast. Fast is Far.
The Less Effort, The Faster and More Powerful You Will Be - Bruce Lee
Know What You Throw. Throw What You Know.
It's Not A Routine If You Have To Think About It.
-=| Click Here To See What's Currently In My Bag |=-
USAnarchy
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby emiller3 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:33 pm

I have a nice slick DX Destroyer hanging on the wall here at work (from my first tourney), I should do these drills while I'm sitting at my desk...

On a good note, my overhand is back to where it was after it suffered a dip in distance the last couple months, and I credit that to the drills.

On a bad note, all of my backhand practicing has caused a loss of accuracy and no increase in distance, and general awkwardness on the tee...I hope it's not too late to go back to the way I was doing things. Not sure if I'll keep pursuing this or not.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JR » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:35 pm

Many things are one step back and two forwards keep on trying.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

PreviousNext

Return to Technique