Eric's Throwing Videos - New Full Round Video

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Eric's Throwing Videos (New Vids)

Postby JR » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:10 am

I've tried the Voigt style earlier not this season though. Chris Voigt from Germany uses that style and was the first to throw over 200 meters for an official world record. I think i've gained muscle power over the winter so i need to check this style again for possible result changes.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby DiscJay » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:53 am

emiller3 wrote:Have you tried starting your reach back further away from your body? Not further back towards the back of the tee pad, but further out in the direction your body is facing, so that when you start your pull you are coming at something like a 25-45 degree angle into your chest? Pulling the disc into your body like that should exaggerate the collapse of the wrist and allow you to get a better feel of what you should be looking for when you go to a more straight-line reach back.

I think I was actually doing this on the course yesterday on my no-step and one-step throws, it has the added advantage of allowing you to be more forward facing while you're throwing. I don't know if it's fundamentally sound compared to a more straight-line pull.

I think this was my main breakthrough. I found that when I tried to bring the disc closer to my chest I was hitting my left pec. That told me a few things....my shoulders were coming through too soon, and through video I saw that I wasn't reaching straight back, but more around my body (actually I think it might have been Beto or Blake that noticed that part). So I was watching Barry Schulz throw and I thought that the reachback away from the body would help me.

At first all it did was cause me to throw off to the right (on laser lines though). I realized that this was because I was still coming through with my shoulders to early. I started to concentrate only on getting the disc to my right pec and let momentum do the rest and that fixed my timing and my accuracy has improved 10 fold. Now that I have my timing and accuracy improved I am increasing my focus on the out motion and my distance is increasing with the same accuracy.
DiscJay
Noob

Favorite Disc: Elite Z Comet

Postby Banjar » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:02 am

Eric, your progress and dedication is great and very much an inspiration. In a year or so, I hope to achieve the same kind of progress!

To reiterate the last few posts, I would also give a thumbs up to the pulling from the outside (Doss, Schultz, Lundmark?) so the wrist and elbow collapses more because of the inward momentum of the disc towards the body. I am also getting lazer beams but they all go a little left of my aim (LHBH) (probably not stopping my shoulder rotation and elbow). It is so much easier to feel the wieght of the disc this way compared to the pulling straight across the chest (probably because it easier to keep it close). I'll start a new thread about this once I've figured some more things out!
I hereby commit myself to actually do the drills, rather than just trying them for a few times and expect results.
Banjar
Noob

Favorite Disc: changes daily..

Postby JR » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:31 am

Those things certainly make it easier for me to feel the wrist action and force it to move much more but it's on and off so far for me. I need to practice more. I seem to throw hyzers almost always when i pull from out to in. And hyzers aren't my go to shots. But are you in the Copenhagen Open?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby emiller3 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:47 am

I was pulling it left as well (LHBH) until yesterday. I believe that I wasn't pulling into my chest enough, I think if you leave your arm out there even just a little it will cause you to pull it. You can tell just by practicing in front of a mirror.

I rewatched bradley's snap videos and conceptualized flinging the outside edge of the disc and resisting the inward coil. It was like magic, I threw every single shot directly ahead, whether I reached out or straight back, and whether I threw 100% or 80%. I'm not sure what exactly I was doing, but im hoping that resistance during the fling was getting me some wrist extension and the ability to control my release. I hit 450' with a Valk and a Destroyer with a slight taileind on pretty much line drives after barely being able to reach 380' earlier in the day with a tailwind and a loose wrist. I think this is one area where the towel drill fails you, it helps you get in the right positions to get snap but it's a different feeling to actually snap a disc than it is a towel.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Banjar » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:36 pm

JR wrote:Those things certainly make it easier for me to feel the wrist action and force it to move much more but it's on and off so far for me. I need to practice more. I seem to throw hyzers almost always when i pull from out to in. And hyzers aren't my go to shots. But are you in the Copenhagen Open?

No, I am in Stockholm right now - but high fives for Oscar's 1046 rated round!

on topic: I will try to watch bradley's video again. It is so easy to think of a concept that clicks mentally, but then forget it once you are in the field. Eric, when you have pulled the disc to your chest from the outside, is your upper arm in line with your shoulders or is you elbow still pointing 'out' a little? And where are your shoulders pointing? I am definitely guilty of not pulling tight enough and rotating to soon, so I still have a lot of timing work in front of me.

JR: I also get hyzershots from time to time (one in three or so) when I try to pull from out to in. I think it happens mostly when i try to 'meet' the disc with my chest and end up leaning in over it too much.
I hereby commit myself to actually do the drills, rather than just trying them for a few times and expect results.
Banjar
Noob

Favorite Disc: changes daily..

Postby emiller3 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:17 pm

When I do a full shoulder turn and reach out and away I can throw straight. When I do an 80% throw and stay a little more forward facing and reach out and away, my shoulder, elbow, everything is pointing slightly off of left. I start my pull with my shoulder, which I think is probably how I get off to the left. I have started keeping my head a little more forward facing (i keep the target in my peripheral instead of turning my head backwards) and still turning my body 180 from the target with some success, but it's still a little awkward at this point.
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sun May 01, 2011 12:38 am

I have to try control drives as well i've only tried with 180 degree or more reach back from the shoulder line this year. It should be easier at a slower pace and less power generation.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Re: Eric's Throwing Videos - New Full Round Video

Postby emiller3 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:47 am

This is a full round of me playing at my home course, Sakuna Pines. Was doing some weird over-rotation during my reach back, turning around way too much, don't know what was up with that, went out this morning and fixed it. After making serious progress earlier this year, I'm now playing so little that my form changes practically every time I go out for a round. Even during the round I'll bomb half of the big holes and come up well short on the others. I understand the concepts now and can make in round adjustments, but nothing can replace the repition of field work or playing every day. When I was doing the towel drill daily, I really cemented the concepts and it translated to consistent success on the course. But since I've stopped practicing, I haven't been able to keep up the skills. I've yet to decide if I'm going to go back to daily practice in order to retain the skills permanently, or let them just develop at the slow pace of a once per week round. I've stopped practice putting completely and would like to get back into that, even if it's 10 minutes a day.

As far as my video skills, I did this all on my iPod, so I apologize, I can't zoom and the video quality isn't superb. I edited it down a little too short in parts so the clips are a little too quick, lesson learned I guess. I included little blurbs of what I'm throwing at what my score is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuVKZV26J-o&feature=youtu.be&hd=1
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Postby DsmDisc » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:08 pm

Looks pretty good. The only thing I see (just looking at flight path) is a strong tendency to hyzer. The discs weren't really turning over much. Could just be an off day or the way the course plays. Anyway, just an observation. Same thing happens to me a lot when I'm having my off days.

Otherwise, the throw looks pretty decent.
KC/JK/DX Aviars
Fuse | Roc
Eagle | Teebird | Firebird
Archon | Pro Wraith | Destroyer
DsmDisc
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 06 Augusta Wraith

Postby emiller3 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:55 am

That's high altitude golf for ya. That particular course is at 7200'. Everything hyzers out.

I throw a lot of hyzer flips at this course because of how straight and narrow the fairways are, and because when I don't get them flipped, it generally leaves me in a better spot than if I turned it too much. But there were a couple holes where I just got the thing nose up or didn't get any snap on it, like 10 (the high anhyzer), 14 (tunnel fairway along the path), and 19 (ugliest shot I've ever made there.)

I've also noticed that I lack snap on cold days. That was the coldest morning we've had in months. Does anyone else have that problem? I'm not sure if it has to do with grip or atmospheric pressure or what.
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:53 am

emiller3 wrote:That's high altitude golf for ya. That particular course is at 7200'. Everything hyzers out.

I throw a lot of hyzer flips at this course because of how straight and narrow the fairways are, and because when I don't get them flipped, it generally leaves me in a better spot than if I turned it too much. But there were a couple holes where I just got the thing nose up or didn't get any snap on it, like 10 (the high anhyzer), 14 (tunnel fairway along the path), and 19 (ugliest shot I've ever made there.)

I've also noticed that I lack snap on cold days. That was the coldest morning we've had in months. Does anyone else have that problem? I'm not sure if it has to do with grip or atmospheric pressure or what.

Muscles work worse when they are cold. Colder skin and the disc being colder mean less grip. Have you tried grip improving agents such as bees wax and moving the thumb closer to the center on cold and wet days?
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby n3tw0rkn3rd » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:59 am

lol thank goodness you cut out the half of the vid of my shots in the round ;-) I was way off that round if I recall. One thing I will menthion about emiller's drives is that when he hits it right (like he was learning to do when this post started), they look effortless like black udder was saying. Unfortunately, we didn't catch any on video, but when he has an on drive, I would swear he's going to barely put anything on it based on his walkup and the first half of his drive, but then the disc shoots out of his hand and it's a bomb (GPS measurements are around 400ish).
n3tw0rkn3rd
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: CE Roc

Previous

Return to Technique