Knee Tenderness

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Knee Tenderness

Postby LYang » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:45 pm

With the pursuit of improving/finding my BH form/drive, I've been putting in a lot of reps. Recently, I've had tenderness in certain spots on the outside of my knee (mainly on the inner side of the leg). Waited a week to let it heal and then went back to practicing; however, the issue seems to come back now after I play for the weekend.

The main culprit would be that for awhile I focused on practicing a reachback to one step throw (toss, plant, whip as per the shawn clement videos that seabas has posted) with no arm assistance and thus no foot pivot at times. This was in attempt to try and understand lower body motions -- I probably focused too much on bracing as well.

I have read the site's technique repair about knee pain: http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... l#painknee
So I understand that my knee should be bent, weight should be centered over my pivot foot and following through is important.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around of filming myself for analysis; I'll try and get that some time this week.

I guess my question is upon planting the foot (bracing??) the knee seems to move laterally which is not how the joint was made to move. However, it seems like even the pros have some lateral movement of the knee. They seem to straighten the leg upon pivoting? I thought I read that pivoting on a straight leg is a bad thing? Am I missing something else?

Perhaps also my knowledge of pivoting is incorrect. My pivot is in result of the hit or outward pull --or should I be pivoting from right pec onward (power zone -> loft -> apex)? I pivot on the heel.

I'm not sure if it matters but I am also very slightly bow legged. I know a video would certainly help, but any info for now till I get a chance to film would help. Thanks!

Also much thanks to this site. I'm almost to the 1.5 year mark and have been furiously trying to understand/finding correct form. Currently I've gotten Teebirds out to 330-350'. Obviously I'm still out on a quest to further that and more so improve my accuracy.

Also didn't know if this should've been put in the technique section. Sorry if it needs to be moved.
LYang
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: Knee Tenderness

Postby JR » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:02 am

In those vids Avery and paul did have the pivoting leg bent in the knee. One thing you need to do is not to be flat tooted for long. A video will tell yourself if you actually have the ball of the foot up and how long you have more of the sole on the ground. You gotta pivot and take a follow through step to relieve the stress on the knee. I think you get more power from not having the leg pivot second half at the right pec position but a little later. The first half happens incidentally going from the reach back until the disc comes to around the center line of the body. There is a pause in the leg pivot until you get the disc to the right pec position with moving the arm. too much brace ain't good at least as long as your muscles and tendons have strengthened to handle the stress. It may not help if you have other problems in the knee. If the problems persist and slowing down doesn't help i'd check what a doc says and what can be done for bowed legs. Shoe insoles?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby seabas22 » Tue May 01, 2012 5:37 pm

I feel your pain, literally. I sprained my MCL(inner side of knee) about a month ago trying to keep my knee bent more through the pivot. What I've gathered is that the knee should plant bent, but should stiffen/straighten up some during the pivot. What you don't want to do is plant with an unbent knee. I've been doing physical therapy and playing with a knee brace without much issue and the MCL has been getting better slowly.

This explains how the feet roll to get the knee action:
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby JR » Wed May 02, 2012 8:21 am

How bent was your knee? You also don't want to pivot with a fully straightened knee.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby LYang » Mon May 07, 2012 8:11 pm

Thankfully the tenderness is (or was) only to touch and in a couple dime-sized spots. There was no pain with movement. The spots have healed over the week. However, it's definitely made me more cautious about leg movement.

Here's a pic of feet together.

Here's vid.
http://discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=24512
LYang
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury