Name: Blake Takkunen
PDGA #: 20001
MFA #: 1409
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Playing Level: Intermediate Amatuer
Clubs/Organizations: PDGA, Minnesota Frisbee Association, Metro Disc Club (Portland, OR), Breakaway Disc Club (Portland, OR)
Tournament Experience: 13
Last Updated: 6-25-05
I am a disc golf player in the Minneapolis, MN area. I started playing in March of 2000 with some friends after playing Ultimate for a few years. I worked nights that summer, so I had most of the days free to go out and throw and I did... almost every day, several hours at a time. It seems like an eternity ago that I would hit the course with my old #2 Flyer and Polecat as I had caught the bug and was soon carrying 15-20 discs every round. As the thorough type, I bought pretty much one of everything and then would take it up to the park to throw like a driving range in an open area before ever testing it on the course. Many discs never made the cut. I'm hoping this forum will help people choose discs that fit them without having to buy one of everything and I started this page after finding the majority of sites I used to reference gone or without updates in a LONG time.
I'm now on a never-ending quest to promote disc golf, analyze everything into the ground, and improve my game. I really think there needs to be more resources out there for the novice to intermediate player and not just total beginners or advanced/pros as well as more ways to get people out to the course.
Part of my own evolution in disc golf has been to become more flexible in my game. I have discs that work best for me, but never will I say a disc is bad, it just needs to be thrown correctly. With time I have reduced my number of disc molds and began carrying several of each disc and forced myself to learn to throw all the shots I need with these discs.
I consider myself to be a player around the intermediate amateur level. I throw backhand with an X-step approach and drive pretty consistently and accurately around 360 feet on a line drive on flat ground with a DX Valkyrie. I also throw a Roc around 290 feet and a Wizard around 270 feet.
Discs I carry (as of 6/26/05):
Bag: GDS Tour Bag w/ Quad Shock Strap
(1) Innova DX Valkyrie 175g - Beat
(1) Innova DX Valkyrie 171g - Very Beat
(1) Innova Pro Orc 168g - Beat
(1) Innova Pro Orc 171g - New
(1) Discraft Pro D Cyclone 175g - New
(1) Discraft Pro D Cyclone 175g - Worn
(1) Discraft Pro D Cyclone 170g - Worn
(1) Discraft Elite Z Predator 172g - Worn
(1) Discraft Elite Z Crush 171g - New
(1) Discraft Elite Z Crush 174g - Worn
(1) Innova DX Roc - 177g - New
(1) Innova DX Roc - 179g - Beat
(1) Innova DX Roc - 176g - Very Beat
(1) Innova DX Roc (San Marino) - 179g - Very Beat
(1) GDS S Firm Wizard - 175g - Worn
(1) GDS S Soft Wizard - 170g - Worn
(1) GDS S Medium Wizard - 168g - New
Back to Main Page